The Student Room Group

opinions on these unis for computer science?

I'm taken the decision to withdraw my offers and apply for computer science, depending on grades, I might take a gap year and properly reapply but I'm hoping to get in through clearing somewhere good.

I'm predicted A*A*A, in reality I will probably get A*AA - BBB. It's pointless guessing but if I had to I'd guess, A*AB. Or maybe A*BB.

Currently in clearing, there are many. York, Sheffield, Liverpool, Newcastle, Leicester, Lancaster, RHUL, Sussex, Kent and Keele stick out. All varying grades AAA-BBC.

I've heard generally conflicting things about how important your uni is in securing grad positions, but either way I'd like to go to the best uni I can, that still fits me. City wise, Sussex (Brighton) is probably may favourite, but it's probably one of the worse unis on that list. I'd also love Liverpool or Newcastle but they seem lower than I imagined on league tables (though I'm aware league tables aren't the best thing to go off). I love York, but I'm worried if I do get the clearing offer of AAA, I won't actually get that, I'm fairly sure I'll get at least one B, maybe 2. Sheffield looks good too but I'm from Sheffield and would really like to get away. I've never heard much about the rest (as universities) and have never visited them so I'm not too sure what to make of them.

Can anybody offer some insight? Firstly, how important is the uni you go to? If for example Sheffield really is the best place aside from York, should I just bite the bullet and go there? Are e.g Newcastle and Liverpool really that bad? Secondly, especially to anyone who's been through clearing, do unis tend to drop their grades much, do many unis tend to enter on results day?

And anything else you can think of that might help! Thank you!
Hello!

Choosing a university is always a difficult choice to make so don’t worry about feeling confused or conflicted right now!

The importance of a university is down to you, would you enjoy the modules on the course, would you enjoy the location of the university, do you enjoy any of the research by current lecturers. If you are not going to enjoy yourself then personally you won’t enjoy going.

I was suggest in going to see the university in open days before picking one! I know when I went to visit Kent I felt so at home and got on so well the lecturers .

As for clearing it is currently open, so you are currently able to see what universities are offering here: https://www.ucas.com/clearing-launch

- Dale, UKC.
hey @jan33
So, I had also applied to Lancaster comp sci through clearing and had an offer from York as well.
I can hopefully provide you an insight into what computer science at Lancaster university would be like.
So far I've liked the course a lot. I've also compared the modules online with other unis like Manchester, Leicester, York and SouthHampton and for me personally they sounded a little hard with too many modules for first year as I had never taken comp sci before uni.
Lancaster offered me only 4 modules in first year which made it a little easier for me to settle down in a completely new place (considering that I'm also an international student) and also have some spare time to make new friends and not completely drown in studies. I also love the that I was able to chose a minor and study a completely different subject ALONG with comp sci.

In terms of the place itself, Lancaster is a small town of mostly student population which honestly not much to do but because its mostly students I feel safe living here and going out alone when needed. But because it is a campus uni, you tend to find everything you need on campus itself.
I had applied to Liverpool as well initially then while choosing my firm and insurance I had crossed it out. Partially because I had heard many stories about the city being not very safe and as an international student I obv believed it lol.

Unis do tend to lower their grade requirement for clearing as far as thats concerned but if you do have a higher grade, you could be eligible for a scholarship.
I am pretty sure the clearing for York wont be AAA, because last year they accepted me with AAB so don't worry about that.

I would suggest you look further into the modules and the study syllabus of each uni that you are interested in so you're able to narrow down your preferences.

Hopefully that helped and sorry for making it too long.
Best of luck with your decision :smile:

Vyomika
Original post by jan33
I'm taken the decision to withdraw my offers and apply for computer science, depending on grades, I might take a gap year and properly reapply but I'm hoping to get in through clearing somewhere good.

I'm predicted A*A*A, in reality I will probably get A*AA - BBB. It's pointless guessing but if I had to I'd guess, A*AB. Or maybe A*BB.

Currently in clearing, there are many. York, Sheffield, Liverpool, Newcastle, Leicester, Lancaster, RHUL, Sussex, Kent and Keele stick out. All varying grades AAA-BBC.

I've heard generally conflicting things about how important your uni is in securing grad positions, but either way I'd like to go to the best uni I can, that still fits me. City wise, Sussex (Brighton) is probably may favourite, but it's probably one of the worse unis on that list. I'd also love Liverpool or Newcastle but they seem lower than I imagined on league tables (though I'm aware league tables aren't the best thing to go off). I love York, but I'm worried if I do get the clearing offer of AAA, I won't actually get that, I'm fairly sure I'll get at least one B, maybe 2. Sheffield looks good too but I'm from Sheffield and would really like to get away. I've never heard much about the rest (as universities) and have never visited them so I'm not too sure what to make of them.

Can anybody offer some insight? Firstly, how important is the uni you go to? If for example Sheffield really is the best place aside from York, should I just bite the bullet and go there? Are e.g Newcastle and Liverpool really that bad? Secondly, especially to anyone who's been through clearing, do unis tend to drop their grades much, do many unis tend to enter on results day?

Hi @jan33,

Choosing your uni can be so tricky, especially when there are loads of options out there! You'll get so much out of your uni experience, from making friends, joining societies and living in a new city, alongside your course.

I guess you might want to think about what is important to you and where you think you'll get the most out of your uni experience. For example, location might be something you want to consider, as you'll live at your chosen uni for a number of years, so it's worth checking out each place/if you want to live near or far away from home.

Course content is also important, so looking at module options and having a closer look at what you'll actually be learning might be interesting! It's good to compare content and see which course excites you the most/is most relevant to your potential career plans.

Keep an eye on the Clearing vacancies for York, and I'd also recommend checking out some of our blogs written by current Computer Science students.

Hope this helps!

Hazel :smile:
Original post by jan33

Which offer a year in industry? Also look as how you are assessed> An accredited course and experience are more important than pointless League tables.
Original post by jan33

Hi there!

Current University of Sheffield student here! I understand what you mean about wanting to be slightly further away for university if you are from Sheffield but my experience of Sheffield has been amazing, so much so I stayed on for my masters. Many graduates actually end up staying in Sheffield after their degree either for work or further study.

I would recommend looking at the modules provided by each university and the assessment structure to see what best suits you!
You can also chat to a computer science student using The Ambassador Platform here: (apologies for the long URL!) https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/study/chat?utm_medium=popcard&searchTerms=Computer%20Science&utm_source=Website&utm_campaign=Computer%20Science%20department%20page%20promo&pageTitle=Why%20Computer%20Science%20at%20Sheffield%3F%20Chat%20with%20our%20students&pageDescription=Sheffield%20is%20a%20great%20place%20to%20live%20and%20study.%20Chat%20to%20our%20friendly%20student%20ambassadors%20about%20studying%20Computer%20Science%20here%20and%20find%20out%20what%20makes%20Sheffield%20special.%20Ask%20them%20about%20our%20courses%2C%20living%20in%20Sheffield%2C%20our%20clubs%20and%20societies%20and%20sport-%20anything%20that%20you&#039&re%20interested%20in.%20Our%20students%20are%20all%20looking%20forward%20to%20chatting%20with%20you.%20&cameFrom=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sheffield.ac.uk%2Fdcs%2Fundergraduate%2Fcourses

Best of luck with your decision!
Let us know if you have any further questions - we'd be happy to help :smile:

Emily
- MA Psychology of Music

Quick Reply

Latest