Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey there,
    I recently opened my PSP (FAT) and attempted to clean the screen, everything was going fine, cleaned the screen, closed it back up, however, when I tried turning the PSP on it does not turn on at all, doesn't charge without the battery or anything no sign of power? I really don't know what the problem is and i was hoping you could help me?

Please help!!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Does the power switch feel any different to when it worked? The most likely problem is that the part of the switch that you touch has become detached from the internal black switch, try opening it up and turning it on by flicking the internal switch, if it turns on it should be apparent how to fit it together properly.

Dunno what you mean by "doesn't charge without the battery" I'd expect that to happen!

ReputationRep:
    I have tried that it still doesn't work, Well people say that to check if its the battery, take the battery out and try charging the psp, it should charge.

Thanks for the quick reply though

ReputationRep:
    You... opened... your... psp?

ReputationRep:
    My brother did basically

ReputationRep:
    Well your brother has done a poor job of it tbh, unless he's intentionally stole a component or something.
    The face plate (and arguably, the bottom strip of buttons) is the only thing you need to remove to get access to the screen. Could you reexplain what is wrong with the PSP? Are you sure there's no power at all? When I thought my PSP was broken, I took it apart and accidentally broke the backlight, and for a while I thought it was totally destroyed but it actually worked just fine (apart from what caused me to open it up in the first place).

ReputationRep:
    I just opened the face plate bit like the case?, well I'm not sure if there's no power at all because I don't know any way to test if there is any?

ReputationRep:
    You're saying that that the power light in the PSP doesn't turn red or green? Try a different charger (without battery)/someone else's battery first. It sounds like your brother has done more than just remove the faceplate because the various sockets aren't even accessable when the screen is in the way.

ReputationRep:
    Well there's those bits on the side, and I have tried it with a different charger, and it don't turn red or green or anything.

ReputationRep:
    BUMP

Here are some pics of the interior:

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    As a preliminary test, turn on your PSP with just the mains charger plugged in (no battery inside it.). If it still doesn't work then it suggests #1, if it does, look at #2.

Try swapping your battery with another PSP battery and see what happens (after it's charged.).

1. If the other PSP (with your battery) is charged and turns on & works normally (whilst your PSP with their pre-charged battery also works normally), then the problem is with your PSP, in particular the yellow charger socket that's screwed into the bottom right of the PSP. Check to make sure that the plug that the yellow socket runs to is connected properly.
    After that, check that the socket (that the yellow thing connects to, near the top of the PSP hasn't been pulled away from the metal prongs that connect it to the battery. (I did this by accident once, but it's possible to fix, I think I might have used a bit of solder.).

If those don't yield any results then you may need to buy a new power socket, e.g. fron here. This may not be the problem however, so replacing it may not work, if this is the case, it's possible that the motherboard is damaged, though I don't see this as likely if all your brother did was clean the screen. In any case, replacing it is rather easy, just take care when unplugging the old power socket; it gets a little fiddly because from what I remember, the top end of the socket is set a little gap in the casing.

2. If the other PSP doesn't work with your battery, but yours works with the other battery. Then it's possible that the EEPROM inside your battery has been erased/corrupted (and could effectively be a pandora battery.). If this the case, the PSP should work with another battery, or with just a working charger (no battery inside.).

ReputationRep:
    I think it is number one it does seem like the wire has been pulled away and it does seem like it needs soldering how could I do this?

ReputationRep:
    Could you perhaps show me a picture of what you mean? The main thing I was talking about is circled below in red, with the whole component in particular outlined in blue.

Gah, the JPEG effect makes the lines look crap.

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I'd go up to my brother and kick his azz!

ReputationRep:
    You seem to have a different psp? I will post up some more pics

ReputationRep:
    Well, the only difference is the wireless module thing it has a green PCB instead of an Orange one. I also took the screen and screen frame off of the mainboard so you can actually see the socket I was talking about.

ReputationRep:
    how do I take the screen bit out?

ReputationRep:
    Firstly you need to remove the row of buttons below the screen; do this from the left, as the right is connected to the ABXY PCB.
    Then, there's four notches that hold the screen into the frame, you can see them at each corner of the metal frame. The best way to get them out is to use a screwdriver to wedge them out (it's best to start with the top 2, after that bit's out you can gently pull the rest off.) Don't yank it though, as the screen and backlight are still connected to the mainboard. Note that the smaller cable opens the opporsite way to the larger one. After that's off, you can unscrew the frame and take it off the casing (but you first need to eject the UMD drive, or it'll stay stuck on towards the top.

That's pretty much it for getting access to the other side of the power socket. though you may want to take off the ABXY PCB afterwards for easier access. (This is very easy.)

ReputationRep:
    PSP now turns on RANDOMLY and goes to the date screen but then shuts off.

ReputationRep:
    I'm probably correct then, I can't think of another hardware error that would shut off the PSP randomly like that, I'd check that yellow power wire as mentioned above, it sounds like moving the PSP causes the wire to make and break the power connection.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.