The Student Room Group

A level options

Should i pick english literature, history and sociology or economics, history and sociology because i am very indecisive and confused right now
i know someone who did english, history and sociology and i remember them complaining about how much writing there is (and that they had 2 essay based a level exams on the same day), so if you’re prepared to write like your life depends on it for hours and you’re in general a good essay writer, then go for that. i did sociology as my only essay based subject and my hand hurt after writing 2 essays. sadly i don’t have much to say about economics as my school didn’t offer it, but i think if you know roughly what you’d like to do as a career then you can look at english lit and econ to see which is best suited to you :smile:
How to Choose 6th Form Subjects - read to it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/subjects/choosing-your-subjects
Reply 3
Original post by Happy8659
Should i pick english literature, history and sociology or economics, history and sociology because i am very indecisive and confused right now

ik it's a long way away but if u have a degree/career ur interested in going into for uni just check what the required subjects are
economics a lot of ppl in my year didn't enjoy it even though the teachers were rlly good, a lot of memorising, graphs and essays as well

english literature again a lot of essays but the students that did take it only spoke positive about it so idk

u can try out classes for both if ur school lets and make a decision in the first 2 weeks of school
I'm biased as I hated Economics GCSE but love English A Level,,,,, but go for English, we're a nicer lot :biggrin:

What do you want to do afterwards?
If you are wanting to go to uni, then check the courses you are thinking of applying for on the unis websites to see if they specify any particular subjects.
Otherwise pick the one you will enjoy most and are best at/will get the best grade in.

It would depend on your future plans. I would go with the latter option.

Heya! Think about what you enjoy studying and what you want to do in the future! If there is any course you are thinking of doing, then check out the entry requirements for it! Usually, you would need one or two specific a-levels for a course so hopefully, that'll help you with your decision!

If you don't know which course you want to do then think about which sector you see yourself in the future! Which university do you want to study at, etc? Perhaps you have an idea of what kind of job you want to do in the future. I started from there, I liked science so wanted to work in the lab so thought about what kind of courses would suit me! Then did some research on different courses and looked at the optional modules! Its never too early to start thinking about such things :smile:

Hope this helps and good luck!
Milena G
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest