The Student Room Group

Year 11

I am a year 10 student going into year 11 in September. Is there anyone that can give me advice about year 11?
Thank you so much <33
Original post by sumayaibar
I am a year 10 student going into year 11 in September. Is there anyone that can give me advice about year 11?
Thank you so much <33

Hi there.

My advice would be to stay on top of organisation as it can really help with revision. Also make the most of your summer and avoid working/revising too much as you could risk burnout when school restarts. @thrivingfrog could provide more advice. :smile:

Best wishes. :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Thank you so much <33

Hi! I've just finished year 11 so hopefully my advice is relevant.
First things first if you're planning on using flashcards, mindmaps etc for revision you need to make these as soon as possible so you can start actually revising from them as early as possible.

Some may disagree with this next point but I say start revising from the start of the year/October half term. Don't do anything crazy like 6 hours a day, 7 days a week but instead do an hour a night, 3-4 days a week. This helped me so much because then when it came to mocks/the real exams it was a lot easier for me to increase my revision hours and also meant that I didn't have to do as much as some others may have had to because I'd been revising all along and therefore felt more confident in my understanding.

If you get to mocks etc and you can't find motivation to revise, try those live study sessions on youtube as I personally found those really helpful and stopped me from using other apps on my phone.

Finally, year 11 goes by SO QUICKLY honestly so try to make the most of it despite how stressful it can be, and remember that your mental health is really important and more important than grades- don't push yourself too far
Original post by thrivingfrog
Hi! I've just finished year 11 so hopefully my advice is relevant.
First things first if you're planning on using flashcards, mindmaps etc for revision you need to make these as soon as possible so you can start actually revising from them as early as possible.

Some may disagree with this next point but I say start revising from the start of the year/October half term. Don't do anything crazy like 6 hours a day, 7 days a week but instead do an hour a night, 3-4 days a week. This helped me so much because then when it came to mocks/the real exams it was a lot easier for me to increase my revision hours and also meant that I didn't have to do as much as some others may have had to because I'd been revising all along and therefore felt more confident in my understanding.

If you get to mocks etc and you can't find motivation to revise, try those live study sessions on youtube as I personally found those really helpful and stopped me from using other apps on my phone.

Finally, year 11 goes by SO QUICKLY honestly so try to make the most of it despite how stressful it can be, and remember that your mental health is really important and more important than grades- don't push yourself too far

PRSOM - great advice, especially the last point. :smile:
Thank you so much <33

Hiya!

There's been great advice posted on here so far! :borat:

I would firstly recommend relaxing this summer, winding down and ensuring that you're all recharged for Year 11. The worst thing you can do is stress during the summer and already be tired from the start of Year 11. :eek:

I worked consistently throughout Year 11 and found it incredibly useful as I had made flaschards and mindmaps as I went along and therefore didn't stress when it was nearing examtime. :u: For me, finding great resources to revise from was incredibly helpful - and so I'd recommend having a list of a few new ones for each subject that you can use from September! We have a goldmine of GCSE bio, chem and phys revision notes on our website here and there are tonnes of v useful YouTube channels out there too :h:. You could also have a little think of how you'll go about revising from Year 11 in terms of the environment - I found that working with friends and setting up study sessions was both v useful and fun so you could have a go at that if you wanted! :bubbles:

Hope this helps x

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Study Mind
Reply 5
Thank you so much Marimo!! Hopefully the website will help me and I really appreciate your advice! Enjoy your experience at UCL <3
Original post by StudyMind
Hiya!

There's been great advice posted on here so far! :borat:

I would firstly recommend relaxing this summer, winding down and ensuring that you're all recharged for Year 11. The worst thing you can do is stress during the summer and already be tired from the start of Year 11. :eek:

I worked consistently throughout Year 11 and found it incredibly useful as I had made flaschards and mindmaps as I went along and therefore didn't stress when it was nearing examtime. :u: For me, finding great resources to revise from was incredibly helpful - and so I'd recommend having a list of a few new ones for each subject that you can use from September! We have a goldmine of GCSE bio, chem and phys revision notes on our website here and there are tonnes of v useful YouTube channels out there too :h:. You could also have a little think of how you'll go about revising from Year 11 in terms of the environment - I found that working with friends and setting up study sessions was both v useful and fun so you could have a go at that if you wanted! :bubbles:

Hope this helps x

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Study Mind
Reply 6
Thank you so much for your advice!! One question if you don't mid, did you end up achieving the grades you wanted when you used these revision strategies?

Original post by thrivingfrog)Hi! I've just finished year 11 so hopefully my advice is relevant.

hi, I'm going into year 11 this year, I have mocks in September and i honestly have no motivation to revise for them over the summer because I've just stopped revising for year 10 mocks, but i know if i don't I'll fail. really freaking out about this it's like a procrastination cycle!
Original post by sophie24758
hi, I'm going into year 11 this year, I have mocks in September and i honestly have no motivation to revise for them over the summer because I've just stopped revising for year 10 mocks, but i know if i don't I'll fail. really freaking out about this it's like a procrastination cycle!

Hiya there,

I've never heard of a school doing mocks right at the start of Year 11; tbh it sounds horrible and i think they should give you at least a month or two to settle into Year 11 before doing any major exams :frown:. How serious are the ones at the start of Year 11 for you? Are they the ones that will determine like the 'predicted grades' for sixth forms/colleges? Fingers crossed that's a no, and you have other mocks throughout the year that they will use for your predicted GCSEs. :bandit:

But if not, please don't worry! :redface: I really think you should be spending the summer relaxing and doing very minimal work so that you're fully recharged for Year 11. There are a couple of things that might help, like organising your folders and making a few flashcards during the last week of summer or so, but there's absolutely no point doing that if you know that it'll make you tired even before starting Year 11! :bubbles:

Even though your mocks are at the start of September, you still have the whole year to revise and improve - and you can improve A LOT in a few months if you work consistently and really identify which topic areas you need to work on! Ik it's a horrid situation you're in, but I think the best thing to do is to not over-worry about the mocks, and see it as a positive learning experience. It'll tell you which topics you're struggling with, so that you can strengthen them as the months go by :u:. If you find GCSE bio, chem and phys challenging, then here we have tonnes of GCSE notes that I really recommend checking out - lots of diagrams, concise etc :dancing2:.

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Study Mind
Thank you so much <33

Hi,

Ive just finished year 11 and am predicted majority of 8s and 9s in my GCSE’s so hopefully i’m qualified enough to help.

If i could only give you one tip it would be to make sure you’ve made your revision resources in advance. For example, i made flashcards for the whole of science in my year 10 summer over like 6 weeks, so in year 11 I never had to worry about the making process. I would also suggest taking mocks seriously and revising for them as you would revise for your final exams. By the time you get to May if you’ve revised for your mocks enough most of the information will be in your head so it’ll lessen your workload during exam season.

Paying attention in lesson is always good, however it’s not the end of the world if you talk to your mates, though the less you pay attention in lesson the more you’ll have to catch up on at home so you’ll have to decide what’s more important.

Please enjoy year 11 as it honestly does go super quickly, it was over before I knew it. Don’t let the idea of exams scare you as you’re going to have to sit them whether you want to or not. It’s better to realise you have plenty of time to get whatever grade you want by the end of year 11.

P.S. DO PAST PAPERS!! they repeat so many questions that by the time I sat my maths gcse i felt like i’d seen half the paper before :smile:
Hi!! Just finished year 11. I'm expected all grade 9's so hopefully my advice is useful
1. i made teeny tiny flashcards the night before each exam which i absolutely do not reccomend... if i could change one thing i would make my revision material way earlier - it would be so much easier. if you make flashcard content (or whatever revision method you prefer) months before the exam and practice with them often, i guarantee you you will get full marks in every exam. GCSEs are founded on fact recall, so if you memorise the specification youre golden. This probably wont work for A-level, so let's see how i manage haha.
2. when i made the flashcards i made sure to check the content of the specification for each one - it's extremely tedious, i made sure my flashcards covered every single line of the spec. dont ask me how i did this the day before the exam.
3. Might be bad advice, but I didn't use my textbooks at all in the end - i went with the exam specification and savemyexams.co.uk i cannot tell you enough how invaluable this website is!! It's got all of the content, along with visual illustrations and practice questions and answers. I used this and the spec to make my flashcards, which were all info-based, like "what is selective breeding?" on the flipside: "the process by which humans breed plants and animals for particular genetic characteristics". Dare I say it, these flashcards were fun to practice with.
4. this has been said before - make revision content months months months before!! make them quick and easy - like flashcards, questions with the answers concealed, anything that isn't passive. highlighting notes does not work, instead write the content out again. try blurting (write verything you know from memory and then fill in the gaps with your notes in another colour) and do it over and over again.

i didnt start revising from the start of year 11, and i dont think anyone should. i do think that you will save yourself from stressing if you make your revision material in the actual lesson... i can never motivate myself to make revision material in october after school, so i would just do it in class.

Most important - get perspective! you have an incredible support team of teachers behind you, mocks are excellent preparation, and most importantly these are just GCSEs. universities dont even blink at them. Think of it like practice for yourself - so that you know what revision method works for you, so that you can practice being self-motivated. GCSEs are not too important :wink:
Original post by sophie24758

hii just finished y11

you have my sympathy for having mocks so early in the year.. ouch!

i would say your mocks are invaluable - you can practice in timed conditions, and they're not organised by yourself which is a lot better imo.
buutt your summer is more important. the more important mocks come later in the year and you should give your undivided attention to those.

This one though? I would do some consistent, light revision but not completely overwhelm yourself. You could dedicate time to it - like in the evening when it's dark out, every few days.

Enjoy your summer!! after your y10 mocks you deserve to relax.

Quick Reply

Latest