Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Well I bet you get this alot on here, but hey, some bad experiences have left me to the point where I'm almost scared of being in a friendship scenario with people, so when I came back to college in new groups for lectures, I was the quiet kid in the corner, now thanks to a wonderfull person, who took the time to speak with me, I'm now quite well known in my maths group and I talk to practically everyone in the group, save for the people who seemed to judge me on day 1 and don't want anything to do with my, but hey I don't want anything to do with them in that case.

Now my problem is I have troubles getting a classroom freindship to develop into an actual friendship outside of the class, unless I'm walking with them from a class, let alone outside of college, one of the major reasons behind this is I tend to over analyse everything I say, meaning alot of things I should be saying I find meanings that people would never dream of, buried deep down. Another problem is whenever I think of something to say I get awkward, seize up and just let it slide.

Now I've had offers, I've had one person who's invited me to join in with there group should I ever want to, now I'd really like to, but I'd feel awkward just walking up to a table where I know one person and I don't know why, I shouldn't do but I do.

So any pointers on how to overcome these problems, and how to develop a friendship?

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel, I was (and kind of still am) like you! I basically 'chat' friendly, and try to have a natural sense of humor to through in whenever appropriate. Let it develop slowly - be confident and START the conversation; if you do, others will approach you and want your friendship too.
    If you feel like you do not want to adhere to one friend/group, then try and make as many 'friends' as possible, by being friendly and a 'nice', loyal, authoritative person. Use your knowledge to gain authority and your shine your skills so that others can benefit from them, and you can benefit from others' skills and their companionship.
    I hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Do something that scares you everyday. Eventually build up until you have overcome your fears and this seems less scary

Thanks, for the advice, just any tips on how to not feel awkward on taking someone up on there offer, sounds so stupid when I post it, but as I said after some bad experiences I'm scared of friendship to an extent, and I hate being scared of something like that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2008
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.