The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

University of Warwick Residences

Hi Warwickians! I'm a Canadian student looking to enter into Warwick for English lit. As I'll be a long way from home, I'll need accomodation for the year. Would you recommend student residence? How long can you stay in student residence? Does the University of Warwick offer campus dining?Finally, where can I find myself a good Poutine, eh? :wink:
Hey!

First of all, to answer your most important questions: here’s where you might be able to find some poutine: https://restaurantguru.com/poutine-Royal-Leamington-Spa-m373. I love poutine myself, but haven’t tried the restaurants in Leamington Spa yet! There’s also a Tim Horton’s in Birmingham, which is only a short train ride away, so you might find some Canadian classics there!!
If this would be your first year at uni studying an undergraduate degree and you make Warwick your first choice on your UCAS application, on-campus accommodation is usually guaranteed for your first year. There are many different options across four different villages on campus, so I’m sure you’ll find a place that’s right for you! Personally, I really enjoyed staying in Tocil for my first year, which is a good budget-friendly option. You can take a closer look at the halls here: https://warwick.ac.uk/services/accommodation/studentaccommodation/undergraduate/ugresidences. Usually students stay on-campus in their first year and then move off campus to Leamington Spa, Kenilworth or Coventry. There’s also the option to stay on campus for the entirety of your studies, but you’d have to apply for that and a place can not always be offered. A bonus to living in Leamington Spa instead would certainly be the close proximity to the two poutine places!
All the accommodations are self-catered, so students usually do their groceries at Cannon Park Shopping Centre, where you can find a Tesco and an Aldi! On campus, you can find many cafes and restaurants and we even have our own pub, the Dirty Duck!
Feel free to reach out again if you have any other questions!!

Jelka
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by camperking
Hi Warwickians! I'm a Canadian student looking to enter into Warwick for English lit. As I'll be a long way from home, I'll need accomodation for the year. Would you recommend student residence? How long can you stay in student residence? Does the University of Warwick offer campus dining?Finally, where can I find myself a good Poutine, eh? :wink:

Yes, definitely go for student halls in your first year. In the years after you can stay with friends off campus which is pretty much what everyone does. But the general expectation is staying on camous first year. Every hall is self-catered though, it's not a mixture, so you will have to cook yourself. ANd you'll be happy to hear they actually have a food truck on central campus serving poutine pretty often :smile:
Original post by Warwick Students
Hey!

First of all, to answer your most important questions: here’s where you might be able to find some poutine: https://restaurantguru.com/poutine-Royal-Leamington-Spa-m373. I love poutine myself, but haven’t tried the restaurants in Leamington Spa yet! There’s also a Tim Horton’s in Birmingham, which is only a short train ride away, so you might find some Canadian classics there!!
If this would be your first year at uni studying an undergraduate degree and you make Warwick your first choice on your UCAS application, on-campus accommodation is usually guaranteed for your first year. There are many different options across four different villages on campus, so I’m sure you’ll find a place that’s right for you! Personally, I really enjoyed staying in Tocil for my first year, which is a good budget-friendly option. You can take a closer look at the halls here: https://warwick.ac.uk/services/accommodation/studentaccommodation/undergraduate/ugresidences. Usually students stay on-campus in their first year and then move off campus to Leamington Spa, Kenilworth or Coventry. There’s also the option to stay on campus for the entirety of your studies, but you’d have to apply for that and a place can not always be offered. A bonus to living in Leamington Spa instead would certainly be the close proximity to the two poutine places!
All the accommodations are self-catered, so students usually do their groceries at Cannon Park Shopping Centre, where you can find a Tesco and an Aldi! On campus, you can find many cafes and restaurants and we even have our own pub, the Dirty Duck!
Feel free to reach out again if you have any other questions!!

Jelka

Hi Jelka,
I saw in your reply that you stayed at Tocil for your first year. I am also going to be staying at Tocil for my first year at Warwick. I have a couple of questions I was hoping you might be able to answer:

1. Do cleaners clean the bathrooms and the kitchen or do the students have to clean it themselves on a rota?
2. Is the hob electric or gas in the kitchens?
3. Are there common washing machines? If so, are they coin operated?
4. How much fridge space does each person get?
5. What kind of bulbs are provided for the ceiling lights and lamps? Are they bayonet or screw-cap?

Any information about the above would be really helpful. Many thanks in advance!
Original post by arege123
Hi Jelka,
I saw in your reply that you stayed at Tocil for your first year. I am also going to be staying at Tocil for my first year at Warwick. I have a couple of questions I was hoping you might be able to answer:

1. Do cleaners clean the bathrooms and the kitchen or do the students have to clean it themselves on a rota?
5. What kind of bulbs are provided for the ceiling lights and lamps? Are they bayonet or screw-cap?

Any information about the above would be really helpful. Many thanks in advance!

1. cleaners take care of the bathroom pretty regularly. They should at least wipe the surfaces in the kitchen but it’s up to the students to clear away pans and everything of course. If it’s too messy they might even neglect to clean it so there is some responsibility for students.

2. hobs are electric

3. You can pay by card for the washing machines now, I’m not sure if they take coins at all. I can’t remember how much it costs exactly to be honest, but I believe for my accommodation at least it was in the realm of £3.50 - £4 for a wash and dry, but it might vary slightly by accom.

4. You normally get one shelf per person. It normally works out that the shelves in the fridges are divided into the correct numbers so every flatmate can have a shelf to themselves. Just make sure you don’t get the bottom shelf haha

5.This one is a bit trickier for me to answer as J stayed in Sherbourne, but for me there was no bulbs, the lights were built into the ceiling, so it’s not the kind of thing I was able to change myself. I never had any problems with the lights but if you do it’s probably easier to call student maintenance than try to sort it yourself. I don’t think bulbs are worth buying
Original post by arege123
Hi Jelka,

I'm also in Tocil this year
Original post by camperking

Hi camperking,
It may be worth looking at private accommodation - many providers will offer 51-week tenancies that cover you for the entire year. We've still got some availability in Warwick, see here: https://bit.ly/3SZfCUk. On the subject of poutine, I wish I had recommendations but hopefully everyone else can help!

- Sophie
Join the ice hockey team!

Quick Reply

Latest