Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

[London] Best University Library?................ watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys

I need a university library in London to study in for a few weeks for some prelim exams I have coming up in January

My Requirements (in order of preference);

- Closes late (i.e. 10:30pm+), inc. weekends
    - Is Historic/Victorian'esque (i.e. old and stunning) - I know this may sound weird, but I can revise better for some reason in places like this
    - Has wi-fi access (preferably free)

If anyone has any other recommendations for libraries in London which suit the above criteria (exc. the British Library, where I am currently at) or university libraries which best suit the above, it would be great a great help

+reps for the help :tsr2:

PS. I don't know whether this thread belongs here, so please feel free to move mods

ReputationRep:
    just sorted our title, sorry :o:

ReputationRep:
    ya but u wont be allowed in to other uni libraries unless ure a student there?

ReputationRep:
    I have a Phd researcher card (don't ask how ha) so I can use whichever library in London I want - I wanted to go to the Royal Holloway library as that looks amazing, but its to far out of london

ReputationRep:
    I was going to suggest Royal Holloway too..

I guess you could try LSE or City? (I don't know if they'd fit the bill though)

ReputationRep:
    Senate House?

Doubt it has wifi but couldn't you just plug in? Also, it's deceptively small and a maze once you're in. And it's opening hours aren't ideal. Maybe it's not a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    yep Senate House, although ideal in terms of looks etc, closes very early - and thus not really an option

Royal Holloway just confirm is in Egham right? If it had local london tube access I would go there in a shot

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking at the LSE atm, closes late, located within London, but don't know if it is too modern in style, as I hate modern style libraries (prefer the old-style traditional etc -as stated above)

ReputationRep:
    Come to Brunel! Our library is pretty exhaustive. We have over 6 books and occassionally our librarian will be happy to supply you a rubber for erasing the pencil notes on each page. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Come to Brunel! Our library is pretty exhaustive. We have over 6 books and occassionally our librarian will be happy to supply you a rubber for erasing the pencil notes on each page. :yep:
    Co - sign :yep:

ReputationRep:
    UCL? the library in the main building is decent enough. closes at 10pm. use the law section of the library: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2149/...b75ca2.jpg?v=0

if it doesnt have to be "stunning" and old, i *love* the SOAS library..
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...erior_view.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inter-Company)
    I'm looking at the LSE atm, closes late, located within London, but don't know if it is too modern in style, as I hate modern style libraries (prefer the old-style traditional etc -as stated above)
    You will really hate the lse library

ReputationRep:
    I have a Phd researcher card (don't ask how ha) so I can use whichever library in London I want - I wanted to go to the Royal Holloway library as that looks amazing, but its to far out of london
    They only stay open til 11 mon-thurs and they're always busy and small.

The new library, (Bedford) has recently undergone a renovation, but doesn't fit in with the Victorian specifications of the OP

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys

UCL are slightly long in that you also have to write into the head of membership for a library card etc (even though its for reference only) :rolleyes:

The law library pictured above however looks fantastic

Royal Holloway was my favourite so far, but in Egham (anyone know how far the nearest london underground tube station is from the library?) its slightly long I think

I checked out SOAS previously and that is exactly the library I don't want, in that it is very grimey ish - although is a very good library otherwise

I guess (even though I don't partiuclary like modern), I'm going to have to settle for the LSE library - closes at midnight and looks OK'ish

ReputationRep:
    you will need to get an overground train to royal holloway

ReputationRep:
    sorry I know this is a long shot - but do you reckon london underground passes work on the national rail line to surrey

the only reason I ask is that you can sometimes use national rail services with your standard rail card - although I think this may just be in central London

ReputationRep:
    sorry I know this is a long shot - but do you reckon london underground passes work on the national rail line to surrey

the only reason I ask is that you can sometimes use national rail services with your standard rail card - although I think this may just be in central London

Closest tube station is Richmond. If you're jammy, you can get an overground train to Egham (20 or so mins) ticketless as they have no barriers at Egham. They occasionally have inspectors, though.
    Egham is 30 mins from Clapham Junction, and just under 40 from Waterloo

ReputationRep:
    I was going to suggest the Imperial College Library until I saw the second criteria. Our Library is open for 24 hours except for Sundays.

ReputationRep:
    Surrey uni's library is open pretty late - open until 1:30am on weekdays, 6pm on Saturdays and 10:30pm on Sundays. Also during exam period (starting beginning of december I think) it is going to be open 24hours. Not exactly historic/victorian though. More 1960s lol. It's good though, and easy access via train (London Waterloo to Guildford)

ReputationRep:
    How do I delete my TSR account?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.