Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Running is repeatedly mentioned as being the best way of getting fit, but I find I struggle to do much more than 30mins before injuries start to set in. Recovery is pretty quick afterwards however, but the injuries remain.

On the other hand I can jump on my bike, stop at 80+%MHR for four/five hours, absolutely take myself to my limit, but don't pick up injuries meaning I train again the next day and the next day and the.....

Obviously you've got to run to pass the PFT/RAFFA/etc, and running is the best training for running, but is there anyway to minimise the amount of running in training?

ReputationRep:
    Running=high impact aerobic activity.
    Cycling/swimming/rowing=low impact aerobic activity.

Ideally you should do both, regularly. The RAF 'fit to lead' training programme is a good example of a well balanced exercise regimen combining circuit training, high impact aerobic and low impact aerobic activities.
    This builds muscle, aerobic endurance and stamina.

So in answer to your question, running alone is not that great an idea for fitness prep/build up. You need a well balanced, varied and regularly maintained exercise schedule, which is progressive and allows time for you to recover.

ReputationRep:
    Is running really that great?

Yes and no. If you are a marathon runner and you go out and jog for 15 mins it probably won't do a lot of good. But if you are a marathon runner that can't do 5 press-up, then doing 5 press-ups will be more useful to you than the guy that does free weights at the gym, can bench-press five times his weight, but he just can't stand up because he is top heavy.

In short what I am saying is, no single training programme/exercise is the definitive answer to all life's fitness problems. You need to find a good, varied programme which benefits you the most.

The best way to do this is to talk to a PTI, get assessed on your aerobic and strength levels.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.