Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Having difficulties with a level choices...want to do 5 but not recommended? Watch

ReputationRep:
    at the moment i have made these a level choices:
    - english literature
    - biology
    - economics
    - psychology

However, I know it may seem pointless but I am widely interested in film studies. I understand that it is not classified as a 'real a level' in some universities, yet I just want to do it for fun...BUT (yes a big BUT LOL) the sixth form i wish to study at doesn't supply film studies as an option!!!!!

Quite confused at the moment as people say 5 a levels are a lot. if i didn't get into my first choice, should i do film studies as an extra or just give up?

look at your 4 i think they're all pretty top a levels (psychology maybe) but film studies is not really considered, therefore hinting its uselessness

however if you really want to take it, find someone/somwhere that will teach you externally.

if you work hard and are better than the average student then you could cope with 5 a levels, but you should really think about taking film studies... in my opinion (my opinion is worthless but used in this whole post)

infact it depends what you want to do later on/further studies

ReputationRep:
    It sounds very interesting taking 5 A levels,but at the end of the day i won't matter HOW clever you are,if you think you can persevere and not put your grades at risk with 5 A levels then sure,but i personally wouldn't recommend it,it's better to get 4 REALLY good grades than 5 AIGHT grades..just my opinion love,each to their own.....is it not? :yep:

ReputationRep:
    By the way,Psychology is no P*** take it's work and so is english literature,extemely fun and interesting but hard work

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to do 6 but did i listen to recommendations? trust me you don't want to do 5

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I'd drop either Psychology or Economics and do Film Studies to AS. I only say that because I don't see why you would take on unnecessary work no matter how much you'll enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freudian)
    By the way,Psychology is no P*** take it's work and so is english literature,extemely fun and interesting but hard work
    Psychology? Fun? I deteste it!

ReputationRep:
    I say go for it. I did 5 with absolutely no problems at all, in fact I probably could have done a couple more (which some of my friends did) and still be able to cope. Don't let people tell you what you're limited to: sure they're telling you by their own experience, but stats mean nothing to the individual. If you think you can do it, then do it.

ReputationRep:
    I actually do 5 alevels. no sweat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by filenotfound)
    I say go for it. I did 5 with absolutely no problems at all, in fact I probably could have done a couple more (which some of my friends did) and still be able to cope. Don't let people tell you what you're limited to: sure they're telling you by their own experience, but stats mean nothing to the individual. If you think you can do it, then do it.
    I think the thing to ask yourself is: "Could I have done 25% more GCSEs than I'm doing now?" If the answer is "no", don't do 5 A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electriic_ink)
    I think the thing to ask yourself is: "Could I have done 25% more GCSEs than I'm doing now?" If the answer is "no", don't do 5 A Levels.
    Its not entirely the same at A-Level, you can get the subjects to feed into each other. Fair enough I did maths,Fmaths, Phys etc., but even with those subject choices, the skill set required is extremely similar.

In any case, if the average number of GCSE's is about 9-10, I think 13 GCSE's is doable by anyone if they really want to do the extra subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by filenotfound)
    Its not entirely the same at A-Level, you can get the subjects to feed into each other. Fair enough I did maths,Fmaths, Phys etc., but even with those subject choices, the skill set required is extremely similar.

In any case, if the average number of GCSE's is about 9-10, I think 13 GCSE's is doable by anyone if they really want to do the extra subjects.
    i did 13 GCSEs, was absolutely fine, did 5 AS levels, and was also fine.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should just learn about films in your spare time. No pressure.

ReputationRep:
    I'd just do 4 if i were you, that way you can focus on getting 4 good grades. Maybe take up films as a hobby that way theres n pressure and it will never feel like a choir

Im doing economics and biology- really good choices

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just get the text book for film studies and read through it, if you feel an interest growing then ask to be entered for the exam as a private candidate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milliondollarcorpse)
    Why don't you just get the text book for film studies and read through it, if you feel an interest growing then ask to be entered for the exam as a private candidate.
    ^ This.

And if you think doing an A Level in your spare time is too much then this is the solution:

http://www.wjec.co.uk/index.php?subj...ageField2.y=14
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Why not do 4 this year, drop one AS as you're going into your A2 year, and pick up film studies too? That way you have 3 A levels & 2 AS...!

ReputationRep:
    Sadly, as many people have already pointed out, it's impossible to tell you what YOU should do - we can only give you our experiences. It entirely depends on how quickly you can work, how much of your free time you are prepared to spend working, and how much you like to independantly read around the subject (remember that expectation is one of the main differences between GCSEs and A-levels).

I had a friend who took 5, she was really clever and a real hard-worker - she managed it and got good grades, but was really shattered by the workload. I personally just did 4 ASs and 3 As, deciding that I would rather spend more time on fewer subjects and get the grades higher. At the end of the day, all of my universities gave me offers based on 3 A-levels - any extra would've been redundant. Though if you're applying to places that use UCAS points, an extra AS could make a BIG difference.

It's great that you have the interest in film studies, though - I wouldn't want to let go of that (just yet). If you want my advice: drop one of the 4 you don't find that interesting, take film studies now and drop it next year. That gives you the subject you find interesting, the academic subjects you want for Uni, and a reasonable workload.
    If you don't want my advice: no biggie =)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.