The Student Room Group

year 10 summer

here's what i got for my end of years. i'm aiming for 8/9 in gcses
maths - 8
english lang - 7
english lit - 6 (the timing got me, so i need to do more timed essays)
biology - 9
chemistry - 9
physics - 8
spanish - 4,5,6,7 (not sure how to improve other than past papers)
sociology - 7 (i just needed to explain in depth my answers)
geography - 8
how do i spend my summer holidays? obviously i'm not happy with spanish but i can't do any past papers because that doesn't help me
people say year 10 summer is the best time academically, so will active recall and reviewing my flashcards be enough? (as well as making new notes that i haven't made)
i also want to relax in the summer as well because this is the last time i can properly relax, but i don't want to feel like i've 'wasted' it by being unproductive and then be angry at myself at the end of the summer. what should i do?
Original post by ArizonaRobbins
maths - 8
english lang - 7
biology - 9
chemistry - 9
physics - 8
geography - 8
how do i spend my summer holidays? obviously i'm not happy with spanish but i can't do any past papers because that doesn't help me
people say year 10 summer is the best time academically, so will active recall and reviewing my flashcards be enough? (as well as making new notes that i haven't made)
i also want to relax in the summer as well because this is the last time i can properly relax, but i don't want to feel like i've 'wasted' it by being unproductive and then be angry at myself at the end of the summer. what should i do?

Hey, those are good grades and you should be very proud! As you said, you do need to relax so don’t worry too much about studying right now. Something that might help with Spanish is watching TV shows/films in spanish (with English subtitles), as it might help your vocabulary and will also help you in your listening exams. I thinks just doing active recall and flash cards every so often as well as watching things in Spanish would be plenty over summer. Enjoy your well-earned break!
Original post by bea_murray0
Hey, those are good grades and you should be very proud! As you said, you do need to relax so don’t worry too much about studying right now. Something that might help with Spanish is watching TV shows/films in spanish (with English subtitles), as it might help your vocabulary and will also help you in your listening exams. I thinks just doing active recall and flash cards every so often as well as watching things in Spanish would be plenty over summer. Enjoy your well-earned break!

thank you!! you have no idea how much this put my mind at ease haha :smile::smile:
Reply 3
hey, spanish is definitely something you can improve! where are you losing marks: translation, question answering, speaking?
past papers are always good, but make sure you analyse mistakes and ensure verb formations are secure. build a bank of vocabulary to use at your disposal.
Original post by kcsjeo
hey, spanish is definitely something you can improve! where are you losing marks: translation, question answering, speaking?
past papers are always good, but make sure you analyse mistakes and ensure verb formations are secure. build a bank of vocabulary to use at your disposal.

well suprisingly enough reading i got a 4. and i thought reading was my best but speaking i got the highest (7) and i was really unsure about reading
(and writing was 6 and listening was 5)
also i have got a bank of vocab but i just keep forgetting the words haha, and i know all the verb formations
hey there! first of all, congrats on your grades - those are pretty darn good results if you ask me! you still have heaps of time before your GCSEs after all. it's also very impressive that you've nailed down the best study techniques already; active recall will help you immensely and keep your brain sharp and the information in your head throughout the summer, so you'll be ahead of the game come autumn when your peers are playing catch-up.

as a few other people have mentioned, one of the very best ways to improve your language learning is through immersion - it's why modern languages courses at university typically require a year abroad. so watch some spanish movies and tv shows, listen to spanish music or even podcasts on a topic of your choice, and maybe have a go at reading some basic spanish books too, even kids' ones - this has helped me in my italian a fair bit and it's really light-hearted and fun reading, a nice change to the ten-tonne textbooks we've gotten used to.

also, please don't stress too much as you will have other times when you get to relax - i just finished s6 (year 13? idk what you guys call it anymore... last year of high school let's put it that way) and i'm working full-time this summer to earn money before i start university, and yet it's still super enjoyable and i feel i have a decent amount of time to relax. i still get to watch netflix with my family every evening, still have days off where i can see my friends, work through some prep stuff for uni, or just sleep and not feel guilty about it. so yes, grades are important, but please don't think that you need to spend every summer after this studying 12 hours a day, because that's not true at all and is a surefire way to burn yourself out.

lastly, i hope you have an amazing summer and get the grades you deserve next year - you're obviously working super hard so just keep it up! :smile:
Original post by franklyfruity
hey there! first of all, congrats on your grades - those are pretty darn good results if you ask me! you still have heaps of time before your GCSEs after all. it's also very impressive that you've nailed down the best study techniques already; active recall will help you immensely and keep your brain sharp and the information in your head throughout the summer, so you'll be ahead of the game come autumn when your peers are playing catch-up.

as a few other people have mentioned, one of the very best ways to improve your language learning is through immersion - it's why modern languages courses at university typically require a year abroad. so watch some spanish movies and tv shows, listen to spanish music or even podcasts on a topic of your choice, and maybe have a go at reading some basic spanish books too, even kids' ones - this has helped me in my italian a fair bit and it's really light-hearted and fun reading, a nice change to the ten-tonne textbooks we've gotten used to.

also, please don't stress too much as you will have other times when you get to relax - i just finished s6 (year 13? idk what you guys call it anymore... last year of high school let's put it that way) and i'm working full-time this summer to earn money before i start university, and yet it's still super enjoyable and i feel i have a decent amount of time to relax. i still get to watch netflix with my family every evening, still have days off where i can see my friends, work through some prep stuff for uni, or just sleep and not feel guilty about it. so yes, grades are important, but please don't think that you need to spend every summer after this studying 12 hours a day, because that's not true at all and is a surefire way to burn yourself out.

lastly, i hope you have an amazing summer and get the grades you deserve next year - you're obviously working super hard so just keep it up! :smile:

omg thank youu :smile::smile:
Original post by ArizonaRobbins
maths - 8
english lang - 7
biology - 9
chemistry - 9
physics - 8
geography - 8

Heya! To begin with, I would recommend making a timetable or a diary and organise your summer. I would say dedicate around 1-2hrs every other day for revision and going over the topics (as it is summer and you want to relax as well!). I would recommend starting your day with revision (in the morning) as personally I hate studying in the evening or afternoon ( I procrastinate and get lazy by then!).

For revision, you can use what works for you! Try different methods and see which one works for you the best :smile: Personally flash cards never helped me but spider diagrams/templates/mind maps always did!

Regarding languages ( I used to do german), I would really recommend trying to engage it in your daily life more. Speak Spanish, watch Spanish videos, read Spanish books and etc. You don't have to do tons of past papers ( never really helped me either) but you just need to be more engaged with the language during your days. Perhaps you have a friend or family members who speak good Spanish? Try speaking only Spanish to them for 1 hr or 2hrs a day. Additionally, you can just read Spanish books ( ask your teacher for recommendations) or watch some Spanish movies for children (easy level to begin with + not too hard).

Hope this helps and good luck!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Hey, I'm a bit late to the party lol, but if I was you I would make an Anki flashcard deck for the whole Spanish vocabulary of your course using a pre-made Quizlet deck for your exam board (import it by finding the deck on Quizlet, clicking Export and copying the text, pasting it into a Google Sheets document, clicking File > Export as CSV then importing it into Anki), in both directions. I ended up with 4k cards just for the vocab, but this didn't take as long to do as I expected (about 1hr per 700-card review). I really felt an improvement in all areas, simply through the knowledge of the words.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply