The Student Room Group

How do people revise?

I just wanna know the different ways people revise since I couldn’t find a post for this although I thought I would.

If you can, also mention what level you study at (e.g. GCSE, A Level, Undergraduate, etc) and what subjects/course you are studying.

For me I am studying A Level Maths, Chemistry and Geography. I like to do flashcards and practice questions. But I don’t do practice questions for Geography because I am too lazy to write or plan essays.
Hi there!

I'm currently studying my Masters in Illustration - so I don't actually have to revise for exams anymore! It sounds like you have already adopted some good revision techniques! I always found flashcards and practice questions really helped me to revise too. I also found it really helpful, to memorise anything specifically, to turn it into a little song in my head. I did this for words I was struggling to learn when I studied French, and also found it helpful to memorise pscyhologists and what studies they undertook, as well as for scientific methods and equations.
For Geography, I had a really amazing teacher. He would act out tectonic activity and make fun videos to help us to learn about volcanoes and things like that. He also made us act things out or draw things out. He also told me a good revision technique which is where you try and make somebody else understand the thing you're trying to learn. So have conversations with other people in your class about some of the subject matter, or tell your family over dinner. The act of teaching someone else kind of cements it into your mind a little bit.
That's obviously not an exhaustive list of ways to revise, but hopefully a few fun or new ideas for you to try out! Best of luck with your revision and upcoming exams! :biggrin:

All the best,
Jess
MA Illustration Student

Original post by Anonysus
I just wanna know the different ways people revise since I couldn’t find a post for this although I thought I would.

If you can, also mention what level you study at (e.g. GCSE, A Level, Undergraduate, etc) and what subjects/course you are studying.

For me I am studying A Level Maths, Chemistry and Geography. I like to do flashcards and practice questions. But I don’t do practice questions for Geography because I am too lazy to write or plan essays.
Moved to A-Levels/Study Help :smile:
I’m doing AAT Level 3.

I usually go through the examiners report and take notes for each question. I also use information from practice questions. I end up with an A4 sheet of paper which has pretty much all I need.

I also do a lot of practice assessments and questions in my workbook for the unit.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonysus

Hi,
I did A-level Maths, Chemistry, Physics and AS Further Maths, and with Maths especially it was just about bashing out a lot of questions. Physicsandmathstutor was a great website for resources and exam papers for STEM subjects and the official exam specification helped me a lot as a checklist for all my subjects. With physics and chemistry I wrote down notes to remember the content of these subjects, did rope learning of this content and then did practice questions.
If you want to read some other points of view there are also some great articles on the Uniadmissions website written by students on their experiences of revision, I recommend taking a look as there are some great tips that helped me :smile:

https://www.uniadmissions.co.uk/?s=A+Level
Reply 5
just finished y13
i did chem and geo too

chemistry i had my notes written out after every lesson so when it came to a topic test it was basically skimming the notes/memorising things i forgot
lots of past paper and past exam questions practice
marking the wrong answers and writing them out on a piece of paper, attaching to my notes so before the test i skim the wrong answers

geography i never rlly revised but i did get A* for mocks
i had again my notes written out after most lessons and if i didn't id cram it in a weekend
then id just memorise the info a few days before the test

but for the actual actual alevels
omg it was so crazy
i didn't know the content as well and i hadn't practiced
so crammed the content within a few days, and practiced exam questions my teachers predicted in timed conditions + got marked for a whole WEEK
anyway my handwriting was a major issue that's why i was practicing writing under timed conditions for a week lol

Quick Reply

Latest