The Student Room Group

Would I be able to do an accounting apprenticeship if I already have a degree?

I currently have a bachelor's degree in Game Design, and was wondering if this would prevent me from doing an apprenticeship in accounting?
Original post by Markus White
I currently have a bachelor's degree in Game Design, and was wondering if this would prevent me from doing an apprenticeship in accounting?

It depends on the institution. Some places would consider you to be ineligible because you already have a degree while others will allow it as long as your degree isn't in the same subject.

I think it would be best if you were to contact them and state your current situation to see if you would be eligible.
(edited 1 year ago)
As has already been said, some places do and some don’t.
All employers who have apprentices and over a certain number of employees have to pay into a pot called the apprenticeship levy. Typically 1% equivalence to paid out employee wages. All companies regardless of size can pull out of the levy for funding apprenticeship hires. It’s done this way to promote small businesses to take on apprentices.

Excluding that you can’t study the same degree twice, your existing qualifications may have implications on the funding the employer will receive.

However, this doesn’t mean an employer wouldn’t hire you. I was ineligible to be funded through the levy, but they paid my tuition regardless. In fact, given the company is so huge and only had a small number of apprentices, we worked out based on their contribution to the levy, that we were costing the business over a million GBP each! But this is how the levy encourages large firms to take on even more apprentices - it’s a very well thought out system.

I guess my point is, you shouldn’t be rejecting your own application before it’s submitted, especially given it’s entirely up to the employer. Apply as normal and see what you get back.

Quick Reply

Latest