The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

southampton hartley grove

got an offer for hartley grove and wanted to ask a couple of questions:
- how is the hall structured? (number of people, floors, corridors, sharing a kitchen, etc.)
- how much kitchen space (cupboards, fridge, freezer) is available per person?
- how accurate is the ensuite room shown in the southampton virtual tour to hartley grove's actual rooms?
- what are the facilities in hartley grove? (laundry, gym, computer rooms, common area)
- any advice before / during move in?
Original post by Anonymous
got an offer for hartley grove and wanted to ask a couple of questions:
- how is the hall structured? (number of people, floors, corridors, sharing a kitchen, etc.)
- how much kitchen space (cupboards, fridge, freezer) is available per person?
- how accurate is the ensuite room shown in the southampton virtual tour to hartley grove's actual rooms?
- what are the facilities in hartley grove? (laundry, gym, computer rooms, common area)
- any advice before / during move in?

Hi Anon!
Congrats on your offer to Hartley Grove! I stayed there in my first year but just wanted to mention that I lived there three years ago so some things may have changed since then. :smile:

My flat was shared between 6 people (me and 5 others). I don't remember how many floors there were in my block but each flat is on just one floor, usually with two flats per floor per block. The floors were all carpeted, other than the kitchen and en-suite bathrooms. There was a front door to the flat, then a hallway with the 6 bedroom doors, a kitchen and a storage cupboard for halls staff. The kitchen was at the bottom of my hallway and I imagine it's the same in all of the flats.

As for kitchen space, there was enough for a shelf each in the fridge and freezer and two cupboards each. We split it up so everyone had a top cupboard (this had smaller shelves so we used it for food, jars, etc) and a bottom cupboard (this had bigger shelves so we used it for pots and pans). There was also an extra cupboard under the hob which we shared for extra or communal items. There was plenty of tabletop space for a toaster, kettle etc as well as for preparing food. There was also a dining room table with six chairs.

As Hartley Grove is quite a small, 'quiet' halls block, there was no gym or computer room to my knowledge. When I was there, there was a common room with beanbags, chairs, a TV, vending machine and a launderette. It also has BBQs and picnic benches in the green spaces around the Halls. However, Hartley Grove is very close (less than a 5-minute walk) from Chamberlain Halls. This has a larger laundrette and common room with booths and TVs to work on presentations, tables and chairs to hang out or study. Finally, Hartley is around a ten-minute walk from the main Glen Eyre Complex which had many larger facilities including a sports hall.

I am not quite sure which virtual tour you are referring to as I think there are quite a few for different accommodations, however, the images of the standard en-suite room on the virtual open day website are relatively accurate. The layout was slightly different but at Hartley Grove you also have a bed, spacious desk, large bulletin board for posters and pictures, wardrobe and en-suite with toilet, shower and sink. If you want more details it could be worth contacting the accommodation team. This is their email: [email protected]

As for advice, I recommend not taking a toaster, kettle etc as it is likely that lots of people will turn up with one. If they don't, going to the shops to pick out these appliances is a fun activity to do as a flat! Also, Hartley Grove did not include bedding, coat hangers or cleaning products when I was there so, if possible, I would recommend bringing them with you or buying them when you get there. Other than that, have fun!

I hope this helps but if you have any other questions please feel free to ask. :smile:

Daisy (a third-year History official rep) :smile:
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi Anon!
Congrats on your offer to Hartley Grove! I stayed there in my first year but just wanted to mention that I lived there three years ago so some things may have changed since then. :smile:

My flat was shared between 6 people (me and 5 others). I don't remember how many floors there were in my block but each flat is on just one floor, usually with two flats per floor per block. The floors were all carpeted, other than the kitchen and en-suite bathrooms. There was a front door to the flat, then a hallway with the 6 bedroom doors, a kitchen and a storage cupboard for halls staff. The kitchen was at the bottom of my hallway and I imagine it's the same in all of the flats.

As for kitchen space, there was enough for a shelf each in the fridge and freezer and two cupboards each. We split it up so everyone had a top cupboard (this had smaller shelves so we used it for food, jars, etc) and a bottom cupboard (this had bigger shelves so we used it for pots and pans). There was also an extra cupboard under the hob which we shared for extra or communal items. There was plenty of tabletop space for a toaster, kettle etc as well as for preparing food. There was also a dining room table with six chairs.

As Hartley Grove is quite a small, 'quiet' halls block, there was no gym or computer room to my knowledge. When I was there, there was a common room with beanbags, chairs, a TV, vending machine and a launderette. It also has BBQs and picnic benches in the green spaces around the Halls. However, Hartley Grove is very close (less than a 5-minute walk) from Chamberlain Halls. This has a larger laundrette and common room with booths and TVs to work on presentations, tables and chairs to hang out or study. Finally, Hartley is around a ten-minute walk from the main Glen Eyre Complex which had many larger facilities including a sports hall.

I am not quite sure which virtual tour you are referring to as I think there are quite a few for different accommodations, however, the images of the standard en-suite room on the virtual open day website are relatively accurate. The layout was slightly different but at Hartley Grove you also have a bed, spacious desk, large bulletin board for posters and pictures, wardrobe and en-suite with toilet, shower and sink. If you want more details it could be worth contacting the accommodation team. This is their email: [email protected]

As for advice, I recommend not taking a toaster, kettle etc as it is likely that lots of people will turn up with one. If they don't, going to the shops to pick out these appliances is a fun activity to do as a flat! Also, Hartley Grove did not include bedding, coat hangers or cleaning products when I was there so, if possible, I would recommend bringing them with you or buying them when you get there. Other than that, have fun!

I hope this helps but if you have any other questions please feel free to ask. :smile:

Daisy (a third-year History official rep) :smile:

thanks a lot for the prompt and detailed response! i'm certainly looking forward to moving in now.

some other questions:

would the chamerlain halls laundrette/common room be freely accessible? or do we need a friend or permission to be invited in?

it also appears that hartley grove is one of the most convenient halls in the uni, but i am thinking of getting a bike to travel around and for exercise. would you advise against it?

are there any halls inductions or activities that are organised throughout the year, or would we have to coordinate this ourselves if we want to?

how is the soundproofing - would i be bothering my neighbours by talking or playing music out loud in my room?

thanks a lot!!

Quick Reply

Latest