Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering doing a masters in philosophy, but i'm not sure whether this is a realistic plan
    My main worry is funding, as i've heard that philosophy is an extremely difficult subject to get funding for, is this true?
    Also is it important to do lots of extra-curricular things at undergraduate level, or is the quality of my degree the main thing that admissions people will look at?
    Oh and how competitive is postgrad philosophy, do lots of people apply making it harder to get on to a course or get funding?

If anyone is doing/has done/applied for a masters in philosophy please share your experiences!

ReputationRep:
    It is difficult to get funding for a masters in philosophy, but not impossible (you will almost definately need a first). They won't give a damn about extra-curriculars, unless of course those extra-curricularss involve stuff such as giving papers, attending conferences and that sort of thing. The admissions people will look at your references, your academic record, your predicted degree class, and the quality of your research proposal / personal statement.

It's relatively straightforward to get onto the course - if you're not applying for oxbridge, you're predicted a 2.1 and your references are good, then there's no real reason why they wouldn't accept you. It's the funding that's the difficult part.

ReputationRep:
    wallflower, what universities are you considering? I'm just curious as I will be in a similar position next year.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I currently applying for a Philosophy masters, and rottcodd's right. It's so hard to get funding for any of it these days.

ReputationRep:
    I've had offers from York, Glasgow and Manchester, Manchester and Glasgow are conversion courses but you get to do a dissertation. I think the only place I have a chance of getting funding is York.

ReputationRep:
    funding is a nightmare these days.

However, if you check on PHILOS-L you will find that all of the masters studentships are on offer NOW. So get your applications in soonish!

The AHRC has changed their funding situation with what is known as the Block Grant Partnership; that means that they allocate money to universities and then the latter goes on to advertise that they have the studentship.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.