The Student Room Group

My summer is about to be a cram session

GOOD MORNING, AFTERNOON AND EVENING.
HELLO, HELLO, HELLOOO
HOW Y'ALL DOIN? WELL, ME? NOT SO GOOD.
WHY? BECAUSE I GOT 4 Us as predicted and about to repeat year 12.
OR SHOULD I SAY nearly?
WELL FRANKLY SPEAKING GUYS, i am repeating year 12, to some extent, but
I TheCrazedFool, came in clutch (thank god), I begged my teachers to not let me repeat year 12 and let me go to year 13, well I cant not finish A levels in 3 years, because most medicine schools want you to finish in 2 years.

So I spoke to my teachers and begged that to let me in year 13. So this was their reply, they suggested that they enroll me into year 12, but Ill be participating in the mock exams with the year 13, and if I was able to achieve a B and above then I'll be able to do lessons and do the OFFICIAL A LEVEL EXAMS WITH THEM.
This means that on top of re-learning A/S topics I'll have to learn 2 topics in the A2 content by myself.

Well to let you in a secret, I am doing Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry.
For a matter of fact I know 0, nada, zerooo, null about physics, so yeah. I'm in a pickle.

Well wish me luck and I'll keep you updated on my journey of "fun".

see you around SUIIIIII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheCrazedFool
HELLO, HELLO, HELLOOO
OR SHOULD I SAY nearly?
I TheCrazedFool, came in clutch (thank god), I begged my teachers to not let me repeat year 12 and let me go to year 13, well I cant not finish A levels in 3 years, because most medicine schools want you to finish in 2 years.

So I spoke to my teachers and begged that to let me in year 13. So this was their reply, they suggested that they enroll me into year 12, but Ill be participating in the mock exams with the year 13, and if I was able to achieve a B and above then I'll be able to do lessons and do the OFFICIAL A LEVEL EXAMS WITH THEM.
This means that on top of re-learning A/S topics I'll have to learn 2 topics in the A2 content by myself.

For a matter of fact I know 0, nada, zerooo, null about physics, so yeah. I'm in a pickle.

see you around SUIIIIII

Drop a subject, probably physics.
By the way guys to make things clear, there is nothing wrong with repeating year 12, its just that medicine is selective like that, I think medicine only makes it that important as they want you to see committing to something from the getgo and A-levels is a clear indication of that, as some people might say "A-levels are the opening chapters to your university subjects" - by Mr Codename 006 and ofc medschool looks at your grades so yeah, committing early is important and I'm a poor role model.

By no means repeating year 12 is shameful, because many of us might have a situation and challenges, and we might need an extra year, maybe we need that extra year to find ourselves or even our purpose, the message here is, BE KIND TO YOURSELF, its not the end of the world.

AND CLEARIFICATION, if you do need to repeat year 12 and your going to do medicine, make sure to inform your school about your challenges and how they can help, because the school make a reference for you on that issue and make the univeristies aware of your problems, also make sure that you contact the universities you want to apply to from the contact us form, so you are clear on how you can use situation to your advantage.

Some universities make special offers for those that are in a disadvantage so please, please do make sure to inform your teachers,
Be it how small it is, if its affecting you and your future ITS A BIG THING, so do talk to someone that can help you.
Original post by Behemouth
Drop a subject, probably physics.

Thanks for that advice I was thinking of doing that, but I really want to do it, so I am going to do this whole cram session, to see how much I can do. and let my mocks decide for me. If i do well there is no harm on doing it, but if i do bad i am going to drop it, ofc if i only flop physics i can always drop it and move onto year 13 with the other 3. but yeah
Thanks for that advice I was thinking of doing that, but I really want to do it, so I am going to do this whole cram session, to see how much I can do. and let my mocks decide for me. If i do well there is no harm on doing it, but if i do bad i am going to drop it, ofc if i only flop physics i can always drop it and move onto year 13 with the other 3. but yeah

If things are going that badly in all of your other subjects (that you actually need), then you really don't have the time to be doing physics as well - four A-levels are only really common for those doing further maths anyway, and if you are not performing then you need to drop physics now, not wait until you fail your mocks again. Maybe that sounds blunt but your strategy seems to be unrealistic in this area. You have roughly 6 weeks, less, to learn the entirety of AS maths, biology and chemistry pretty much from scratch - not to mention that you will likely have other things to do in your life other than studying and at some point your motivation is likely to falter. Quite frankly, if you can't keep up with 4 A-levels in year 12 then you have no hope in year 13 - pick which one you are going to drop now to avoid wasting your summer and then try and achieve good grades in your remaining subjects. Save the other subject for your free time if you are really interested in it, without the added stress of being examined on it
Original post by juicygcse
If things are going that badly in all of your other subjects (that you actually need), then you really don't have the time to be doing physics as well - four A-levels are only really common for those doing further maths anyway, and if you are not performing then you need to drop physics now, not wait until you fail your mocks again. Maybe that sounds blunt but your strategy seems to be unrealistic in this area. You have roughly 6 weeks, less, to learn the entirety of AS maths, biology and chemistry pretty much from scratch - not to mention that you will likely have other things to do in your life other than studying and at some point your motivation is likely to falter. Quite frankly, if you can't keep up with 4 A-levels in year 12 then you have no hope in year 13 - pick which one you are going to drop now to avoid wasting your summer and then try and achieve good grades in your remaining subjects. Save the other subject for your free time if you are really interested in it, without the added stress of being examined on it

Thank you so much, i really appreciate your consideration, ill take into consideration and form a proper strategy
Thank you so much, i really appreciate your consideration, ill take into consideration and form a proper strategy

Drop Physics - focus on three. Presumably you can't apply for Medicine in 2023 because you won't have good predicted grades so why not restart Year 12?
Original post by Muttley79
Drop Physics - focus on three. Presumably you can't apply for Medicine in 2023 because you won't have good predicted grades so why not restart Year 12?

well i dont have a reasonable excuse, for repeating year 12, and moire than ever, my parents, finally gave me attention and im being pressured to not repeat year 12, and also im quite confident that ill be able to go through the whole A/S in these 4 weeks.

Seems very daunting honestly speaking, maybe even scary.
I might get burnt by the end.

But what my parents want me to do, even if i dont get an offer, at least ill be able to have a gap year for myself and i wont be falling behind.

at the end of the day falling behind your fellow peers sometimes can be demotivating, although sometimes its required.

and so i feel like that maybe if i can push trhough this even if i fail at the end, at least ill be way ahead thann the current year 12 students, so ill be having more time to cover stuff that i dont understand.

all and all it seems counter intutive and irrational, and very hdsjdhdhsjdsdhs

but the purpose of this forum is to show that, it maybe daunting and chalenging and maybe even impossible.

but IF i am able to be succesful den i can help others that might end up in this place like im currently am, and show them, that there was someone else in their shoe, and if i can do it, they can do it too.

Thats why im TheCrazedFool
Reply 8
HELLO, HELLO, HELLOOO
OR SHOULD I SAY nearly?

see you around SUIIIIII

just finished y13, with bio learn the necessary content by looking at the spec because it's too long to learn the unnecessary ones and practice way more,
chemistry use chemguide for issues and good luck!
practice past AS papers, use PMT, studymind, savemyexams is also useful for bio notes
(edited 1 year ago)
THANK YOU SO MUCH @thrushDO you have any other resources that you could share with me that maybe of help
thank you in advnace
THANK YOU SO MUCH @thrushDO you have any other resources that you could share with me that maybe of help
thank you in advnace

chemistry help for when u get stuck:
https://www.youtube.com/c/AlleryChemistry
https://chemguide.co.uk

chem practice
-tbh i did a lot of physicsandmathstutor
- past paper practice DEFFO https://revisionscience.com/a2-level-level-revision/chemistry-level-revision/chemistry-level-past-papers/aqa-level-chemistry-past-papers

biology help: maths textbook help (so useful for me for my final alevel exams) since the pdf is too big, if u want me to send it can u private message ur email so i can email it to you?

biology practice:
https://studymind.co.uk/resource/aqa-a-level-biology/ (can search up study mind and whatever exam board ur doing i just chose aqa randomly)
https://www.savemyexams.co.uk/-/biology/ (notes + practice) (good for chem too but i found it more useful for bio)
Original post by thrush
chemistry help for when u get stuck:
https://www.youtube.com/c/AlleryChemistry
https://chemguide.co.uk

chem practice
-tbh i did a lot of physicsandmathstutor
- past paper practice DEFFO https://revisionscience.com/a2-level-level-revision/chemistry-level-revision/chemistry-level-past-papers/aqa-level-chemistry-past-papers

biology help: maths textbook help (so useful for me for my final alevel exams) since the pdf is too big, if u want me to send it can u private message ur email so i can email it to you?

biology practice:
https://studymind.co.uk/resource/aqa-a-level-biology/ (can search up study mind and whatever exam board ur doing i just chose aqa randomly)
https://www.savemyexams.co.uk/-/biology/ (notes + practice) (good for chem too but i found it more useful for bio)

yes, if you could please do share it with me the pdf file
EP1 PART1: DAY 1 OF MY CRAMMING SESSIONS

HELLO HELLO AND HELLO.
I AM BACK WITH THE FIRST EPISODE OF CAN WE CRAM IT?

Well a simple breakdown of how my day started, well my morning routine went out of the window, went to sleep at 1.00 am and woke up 9.00 am
8hours of sleep which im not complaining, but i was supposed to sleep at 11.00 pm and wake up at 5.00 am; but hey, its not too bad.

So how am I feeling thou?
Honestly, quite overwhelmed and scared, I just don't know where to start, I am having so many thoughts as we speak, it's getting very stressful, and its the first day of my cram session so like Castillo would've said it: "its not looking good brev".
My attention span receded to last year lockdown, which means I can't focus, and I barely got even started.

But I think I am calming down abit now, this is where I am going to be logging about how my day is going how I am feeling and what challenges I am facing.

My action plan
Well frankly speaking, I am ill and I am running on a fever and chest infection, I got prescribed with antibiotic, so I think Im going to have breakfast, which normally against my morning routine, but its okay, at the end of the day, we can change our routine to fit our day.

So I am going to have breakfast.
Then I am going to clean my table, and I think I am going to start with Maths, as thats where I'll meet with the least friction.

After studying for maths, I am going to try finish by 1 or 2 pm, and have lunch and have my tablets aswell.

After that, I am going to start with either Biology/Chemistry and do topic one for today, since topic one is the basics.

By 6.30 pm I am going to be done and take a break and nap.

After that maybe like at 8.30 or 9.00 pm I'll do some physics, but its going to be like a 1 hour of full focus revision. a
And after that I'll just go offline.

I'll keep you guys updated by the end of the day and inform you how my day went.
And my reflection for the day.
EP1 PART1: DAY 1 OF MY CRAMMING SESSIONS

HELLO HELLO AND HELLO.
I AM BACK WITH THE FIRST EPISODE OF CAN WE CRAM IT?

Well a simple breakdown of how my day started, well my morning routine went out of the window, went to sleep at 1.00 am and woke up 9.00 am
8hours of sleep which im not complaining, but i was supposed to sleep at 11.00 pm and wake up at 5.00 am; but hey, its not too bad.

So how am I feeling thou?
Honestly, quite overwhelmed and scared, I just don't know where to start, I am having so many thoughts as we speak, it's getting very stressful, and its the first day of my cram session so like Castillo would've said it: "its not looking good brev".
My attention span receded to last year lockdown, which means I can't focus, and I barely got even started.

But I think I am calming down abit now, this is where I am going to be logging about how my day is going how I am feeling and what challenges I am facing.

My action plan
Well frankly speaking, I am ill and I am running on a fever and chest infection, I got prescribed with antibiotic, so I think Im going to have breakfast, which normally against my morning routine, but its okay, at the end of the day, we can change our routine to fit our day.

So I am going to have breakfast.
Then I am going to clean my table, and I think I am going to start with Maths, as thats where I'll meet with the least friction.

After studying for maths, I am going to try finish by 1 or 2 pm, and have lunch and have my tablets aswell.

After that, I am going to start with either Biology/Chemistry and do topic one for today, since topic one is the basics.

By 6.30 pm I am going to be done and take a break and nap.

After that maybe like at 8.30 or 9.00 pm I'll do some physics, but its going to be like a 1 hour of full focus revision. a
And after that I'll just go offline.

I'll keep you guys updated by the end of the day and inform you how my day went.
And my reflection for the day.

good luck, doing something is better than doing nothing so even if u don't follow ur plan just know that!
yes, if you could please do share it with me the pdf file

can u private message ur email so i can send it
Good luck! For maths I’d recommend TL Maths (youtube channel that goes through all the (AQA) maths content) and Physicsandmathstutor and savemyexams for questions :smile:

If you need any help with that maths just lmk (finished my maths and further maths alevels last year)
Hi there!

Someone's already mentioned us, but on our website Study Mind we have concise A-Level Bio and Chem notes :u:. They include many diagrams, which is honestly so helpful in both subjects as you do have to wrap your head around like how atoms link to other atoms and particles etc (in the simplest explanation :h:). For Bio, i'd recommend supplementing online resources like our website and youtube channels (I found the AmoebaSisters rlly helpful for understanding genetics, my absolute nemesis :rolleyes:) with making condense notes from the textbook and referring to the spec as a guide. I also personally loved using Quizlet for memorising key facts in A-Level Bio; there are many pre-made decks on there that other past students across the country have made that you can access for free. Let's face it, everyone loves a free resource that you can use with little effort :wink:.

For chem, I'd also recommend looking at the spec, textbook and doing as many questions as you can from the physics and maths tutor website. Practice makes perfect! So, so, so many question types just repeat and repeat year on year and so nailing the common ones will mean that you're already on track to get a good score without having to do much work :bubbles:. Maths is also practice makes perfect, and sadly I can't comment on computer science but i'm sure there are tonnes of great resources that you can find online out there :dance:.

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Study Mind
hi there, just wanted to wish you best of luck with this! i taught myself most of higher politics (scottish qualification) this year so i sympathize with your situation because it can be TOUGH. but it sounds like you're really motivated and have already started putting a great plan in place, so good for you! a couple things to keep in mind:

- from your day one post, it sounds to me like you don't often eat breakfast... i'm also guilty of this but please do try to eat something, it's so so important ESPECIALLY when you're trying to buckle down and cram a ton of new information in your brain. also drink lots of water heheh

- it's no wonder you find yourself overwhelmed, this is a massive task so the way to tackle it is to break things down. make a list of every single topic for all of your subjects that you need to cover by the end of the summer and then divide this by the number of days you have (leaving a few out because at some point you'll want rest days, or an all-day event or outing might crop up) - this will give you a reasonable idea of how many topics you need to bash through per day and per week.

- it's also not a bad idea to leave a little bit of time to review content from previous days, this can be a less strenuous activity that you can maybe reserve for evenings when you're tired or mornings when you need something to ease you in to your workload. try the blurting technique - without looking at your notes, spend five or ten minutes writing down every single thing you can remember on the topic. then compare and see what you missed out. this might also prove useful for re-learning your subjects to practice active recall and focus your time on the areas you feel weakest in.

- if you need any help with maths or chem, message me and i'll do my best to help you out if our specs overlap!

i'll stop rambling here because i don't want to waste any more of your precious studying time but just a reminder that there are always people on here, myself included, who are willing to cheer you on or lend a hand if you need it :smile: good luck for the rest of today!!
Hello there, I am a licensed Science tutor. My mission is to ensure that every student succeeds and feels proud of their accomplishments. I have been a tutor for 5 years and I have tutored students both in-person at their homes and online for the past four years. I can help you with homework assignments and projects in addition to teaching basic industry skills.

kindly reach out for guidance and assistance with coursework and course materials
Original post by thrush
good luck, doing something is better than doing nothing so even if u don't follow ur plan just know that!

Thank you so much @thrush you're the best <3333

Quick Reply

Latest