The Student Room Group

Israel vs palestine

the way we talk about it is often like a football match...I generally support israel however I find a lot of things about the way israel treats its neighborus as wrong, but many palestinians and their supporters have antisemitic views and don't just want a two state solution, but a one state solution, being an arab muslim state.

I think any attempt to compare israel to apartheid SA or the Nazi regime is both ridiculous and in the case of the second, incredibly offensive. As a whole therefore, I support Israel, but a two state solution with the rights of Palestinians respected.
I am a Muslim so my views might sound biased to you. As far as I know, Palestinians gave refuge or something to the jews years before (I'm not sure when). But then the Israelis started to seize land from the Palestinians. So basically the Israelis are hurting the people that saved them in the first place. That's why the Palestinians are so angry. Please keep in mind that I don't know the full story (I don't like history) but I am certain that the Israelis are actually taking over the Palestine forcefully. Also, I am only a teenager so please don't bully or attack me here. I respect your opinions.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Ferrograd
the way we talk about it is often like a football match...I generally support israel however I find a lot of things about the way israel treats its neighborus as wrong, but many palestinians and their supporters have antisemitic views and don't just want a two state solution, but a one state solution, being an arab muslim state.

Seems a bit of an understatement to call invading, occupying and murdering civilians as just 'wrong'.
I'm curious, what is the relevance of people possibly being antisemitic got to do with this conflict? (not least in that many Israelis are anti-muslim. Also note the difference between hating Israelis because of whom and what they are and because of religion.
No one there wants a two statye solution, especially not the Israelis who have stated multiple times it aint gunna happen. Then again, if there was to be a single state, ethics dictate it is an Arab one and not a bunch of immigrants - there being no better way to describe a load of Europeans and Americans popping up and ejecting the natives.

I think any attempt to compare israel to apartheid SA or the Nazi regime is both ridiculous and in the case of the second, incredibly offensive. As a whole therefore, I support Israel, but a two state solution with the rights of Palestinians respected.

Pray tell why? If you were familiar with either Israel and its politics or that of SA you would note that theyre actually rather similar, if less blatant than in SA.
That option is never going to happen, aside from no one really wanting it the idea has been dead for decades. Not least because why would the Israelis want to give up land theyve already stolen? You can note it hasnt been the Arabs sabotaging each attempt at it - Israels best proposition being a fake one (what does that tell you about their 'real' ones?
Original post by Napp
Seems a bit of an understatement to call invading, occupying and murdering civilians as just 'wrong'.
I'm curious, what is the relevance of people possibly being antisemitic got to do with this conflict? (not least in that many Israelis are anti-muslim. Also note the difference between hating Israelis because of whom and what they are and because of religion.
No one there wants a two statye solution, especially not the Israelis who have stated multiple times it aint gunna happen. Then again, if there was to be a single state, ethics dictate it is an Arab one and not a bunch of immigrants - there being no better way to describe a load of Europeans and Americans popping up and ejecting the natives.

Pray tell why? If you were familiar with either Israel and its politics or that of SA you would note that theyre actually rather similar, if less blatant than in SA.
That option is never going to happen, aside from no one really wanting it the idea has been dead for decades. Not least because why would the Israelis want to give up land theyve already stolen? You can note it hasnt been the Arabs sabotaging each attempt at it - Israels best proposition being a fake one (what does that tell you about their 'real' ones?

Israel and apartheid SA cannot be compared. Blacks in south africa weren't entitled to citizenship, voting rights, or any kind of rights, hence the creation of the Bantustans. I've seen some claim this is what israel will do with palestine but again that's false.

Secondly the Jews who came to israel were only european by the fact they happened to live there. There has been a jewish presence in palestine since the beginning of time. Thousands of jews were already living there during the ottoman era.

To say israel is some kind of colonial power is so wrong. Colonies were almost always for economic gain and if the Jews really wanted that they could have chosen basically every other part of the middle east barring palestine, the one part that doesn't have any oil.

Ultimately the jews are never going to surrender their land. Many will use the bible or torah and religion in general to prove the land is theirs.

The conflict in Palestine/the Middle East has never been about religion - that is a lie, the same lie told about NI/Ulster about it being a protestant v catholic thing, or a muslim v jew thing in palestine. It's about ethnicity and who has the right to what etc. Jews are an ethnic group and thus have protected characteristics. They are not "europeans" or "americans". It is noteable how for almost every other ethnic group, their differences are emphasised in the case of racism yet when it comes to jews they are portrayed as just being "white colonisers" or whatever. The left who are often quick to assert this forget their history very quickly. The entire western left was built by Jews and their desire to have equality and not be treated like dog sh*t. Einstein was a Zionist. You can be anti-zionist yes, but too often that conflates with just being anti jew. And why can't jews have a state of their own like any other ethnic group is entitled to?
Reply 4
Israel and apartheid SA cannot be compared. Blacks in south africa weren't entitled to citizenship, voting rights, or any kind of rights, hence the creation of the Bantustans. I've seen some claim this is what israel will do with palestine but again that's false.

Incorrect and just because you dont like the truth doesnt make it 'false'

Secondly the Jews who came to israel were only european by the fact they happened to live there. There has been a jewish presence in palestine since the beginning of time. Thousands of jews were already living there during the ottoman era.

Wrong, especially as you think Jews lived with dinosaurs..?

To say israel is some kind of colonial power is so wrong. Colonies were almost always for economic gain and if the Jews really wanted that they could have chosen basically every other part of the middle east barring palestine, the one part that doesn't have any oil.

Again, stop presenting your opinion as fact. The fact is Israel has annexed plenty of territory in colonial pursuits (plus many are european and white)

Ultimately the jews are never going to surrender their land. Many will use the bible or torah and religion in general to prove the land is theirs.

True but why are you repeating what i said?

The conflict in Palestine/the Middle East has never been about religion - that is a lie, the same lie told about NI/Ulster about it being a protestant v catholic thing, or a muslim v jew thing in palestine. It's about ethnicity and who has the right to what etc. Jews are an ethnic group and thus have protected characteristics. They are not "europeans" or "americans". It is noteable how for almost every other ethnic group, their differences are emphasised in the case of racism yet when it comes to jews they are portrayed as just being "white colonisers" or whatever. The left who are often quick to assert this forget their history very quickly. The entire western left was built by Jews and their desire to have equality and not be treated like dog sh*t. Einstein was a Zionist. You can be anti-zionist yes, but too often that conflates with just being anti jew. And why can't jews have a state of their own like any other ethnic group is entitled to?

So youve written a mixture of falsehoods, outright lies (seeing as i never made that claim - highlighted) and passing off your opinions as facts.. interesting.

Suffice it to say you have written several paragraphs of fibs worthy of a true Likudnik. You're more than welcome to read any number of scholars on the topic as i imagine your high school/college class on the matter is somewhat thin on the ground.
Equally, please dont do the whole whataboutery thing. Itsa very unbecoming.
Guys let’s keep it civil , a conversation where we hear both sides
Like a football match there are a lot of hooligans looking to start trouble in any way they can.
Lot of noisy team tribalists like the ultras that want to yell insults at the opposition team or fight the other sides supporters leaving blood everywhere.
Religious fanatics and corrupt politicians just make things even worse.

But nearly nobody in that region wants peace or a 2 state solution so there's a stalemate.
Most want to jump on the "gimme" cash or votes bandwagon.
Some want to be crooks.
Others want to live in a theocracy and mass murder everyone who won't obey their favourite religious leaders.
A few want to play robin hood or big bag gangster who is mates with the terrorists.
Plenty are extortionists, thieves, sexual predators or racist creeps that deny the holocaust happened and blame jewish people for anything in the world that they don't like.
Original post by Napp
Incorrect and just because you dont like the truth doesnt make it 'false'

Wrong, especially as you think Jews lived with dinosaurs..?

Again, stop presenting your opinion as fact. The fact is Israel has annexed plenty of territory in colonial pursuits (plus many are european and white)

True but why are you repeating what i said?

So youve written a mixture of falsehoods, outright lies (seeing as i never made that claim - highlighted) and passing off your opinions as facts.. interesting.

Suffice it to say you have written several paragraphs of fibs worthy of a true Likudnik. You're more than welcome to read any number of scholars on the topic as i imagine your high school/college class on the matter is somewhat thin on the ground.
Equally, please dont do the whole whataboutery thing. Itsa very unbecoming.

What does skin colour have to do with this? Look at many of the palestinians and they too are white.Ahed Tamini is a noteable young palestinian activist who has "white" skin, in fact, she actually looks Jewish herself. DNA tests have revealed palestinians and jews are related. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11543891/#:~:text=The%20comparison%20with%20other%20Mediterranean,Egyptians%2C%20Armenians%2C%20and%20Iranians. There are some "europeans" in israel, mostly the Soviet Jews who came overi n the 90s, and a lot of them admittedly only have distant jewish ancestry.
I am supportive of Israel and a one state solution.

Regardless of the origins of this story what matters now is that Israel is a market democracy in a sea of failed Arab states and there is nothing to suggest that a Palestinian state would be different.

It is not a difficult choice to make.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 9
What does skin colour have to do with this? Look at many of the palestinians and they too are white.Ahed Tamini is a noteable young palestinian activist who has "white" skin, in fact, she actually looks Jewish herself. DNA tests have revealed palestinians and jews are related. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11543891/#:~:text=The%20comparison%20with%20other%20Mediterranean,Egyptians%2C%20Armenians%2C%20and%20Iranians. There are some "europeans" in israel, mostly the Soviet Jews who came overi n the 90s, and a lot of them admittedly only have distant jewish ancestry.

Not many of them are, no. Israelis are because a vast number are either slavs or European. Palestinians are not.
You seem to be confusing skin tone with Caucasians... aside from being rather racist itself that is patently an absurd thing to say. Not to mention a sample of 1 is irrelevant
Some :lol: there are literally millions.
Aside from the fact it is self evident that people whose ancestors both come from the same region have some distant interlinked genealogy you do know the article you just linked is not only not related to anything that has been said on this thread (as is everything in this post now i comer to think of it, you have simply started random topics for some reason) but it is wrong and as such has been retracted by the authors...
Original post by Napp
Not many of them are, no. Israelis are because a vast number are either slavs or European. Palestinians are not.
You seem to be confusing skin tone with Caucasians... aside from being rather racist itself that is patently an absurd thing to say. Not to mention a sample of 1 is irrelevant
Some :lol: there are literally millions.
Aside from the fact it is self evident that people whose ancestors both come from the same region have some distant interlinked genealogy you do know the article you just linked is not only not related to anything that has been said on this thread (as is everything in this post now i comer to think of it, you have simply started random topics for some reason) but it is wrong and as such has been retracted by the authors...

Lol one "Slav or European" , Slavs are European? Unless you're a Nazi who views then as subhuman. Secondly Jews are not "Slavic" at all lol. Take Ed miliband, a Polish Jew or other polish Jews like Sacha Baron Cohen or Amy Winehouse. Do they look polish or Slavic to you? If they really wete Slavs then why did the Slavic countries hate them so much?

By this definition, Roma people don't have any claim to India because they have been living in Eastern Europe for centuries. Same with African Americans, many of whom have lived in the American south for longer than the whites .

No one is truly native to the lands they now inhabit. English people for the most part are native to Germany and Denmark. The only true British people are the welsh. And Palestine itself was conquered by the Arabs from the south. I can think of many other nations where the population is not truly indeginous.

As someone has mentioned, Israel is a democracy in a sea of dictatorships. Gaza could be the next Dubai if it's rulers wanted it to be.
(edited 1 year ago)
No one is truly native to the lands they now inhabit. English people for the most part are native to Germany and Denmark.

You're forgetting the French! Who I've got to mention, having Hugeneot ancestry...

https://amp.theguardian.com/science/2015/mar/18/genetic-study-30-percent-white-british-dna-german-ancestry
Reply 12
Lol one "Slav or European" , Slavs are European? Unless you're a Nazi who views then as subhuman. Secondly Jews are not "Slavic" at all lol. Take Ed miliband, a Polish Jew or other polish Jews like Sacha Baron Cohen or Amy Winehouse. Do they look polish or Slavic to you? If they really wete Slavs then why did the Slavic countries hate them so much?

Even when trying to appear smart.. well.
Slavic, as in the former USSR or European, west and central. Although you seem to be forgetting that slaiv genes have a large amount of Asian in them :rolleyes:
Lol, you can tell how appalling your knowledge on this is if the best you can do is try and call me a nazi for pointing out that you're wrong :rofl:
You really don't know what a slav is do you? Poles are Slavs, so are Russians, Ukrainians and Serbs etc. None of them 'hate slavs', they hate other nationalities dear. The fact you think you can tell whom is what based on mere basic appearance is more than somewhat racist though, no better than walking up to an Asian and saying they look like Jackie Chan.
I would be more than happy to recommend some books on the history of the Slavic peoples for you to educate yourself though.

By this definition, Roma people don't have any claim to India because they have been living in Eastern Europe for centuries. Same with African Americans, many of whom have lived in the American south for longer than the whites .

Given africans were brought to the Americas by whites.. :rolleyes:
No idea what 'point' you're trying to maske here though. some odd form of whataboutery, as with much else of what youve said but without a readily apparent purpose.

No one is truly native to the lands they now inhabit. English people for the most part are native to Germany and Denmark. The only true British people are the welsh. And Palestine itself was conquered by the Arabs from the south. I can think of many other nations where the population is not truly indeginous.

Pretty sure you'll find some are.
Sigh. Well done for noting that i guess? Although seeing as, quite obviously, no one means it in that regard it seems a touch redundant.
Good for you, indulge me though, whom else in your opinion are immigrants?
One fails to see how Arabs booting out the former owners is entirely relevant to this? Unless you think that forceful conquest is an acceptable means of gaining territory in this day and age. That being the case, I assume you have been applauding Mr Putins recent exploits?

As someone has mentioned, Israel is a democracy in a sea of dictatorships. Gaza could be the next Dubai if it's rulers wanted it to be.

Literally completely and utterly irrelevant.. as well as wrong, its northern neighbour is one (if a flawed one) the nominal political system has no bearing on whether a country deserves to exist or not - ironic, now whose holding 'nazi' like views? A people deserve to have their country destroyed and be thrown into the dessert if they dare to have a dictatorship thrust upon them.
A touch ironic though considering it only counts as a democracy if they then go for policies that we approve of :rolleyes:
Gaza is a tiny concentration camp, if it were free as a bird it could not hope to be 'the next dubai', if for no other reason than it lacks a massive amount of oil to build itself off. Money begets money and being poor tends to limit you to staying likethast.

All that being said though, i have some bad news for you, Israel is only a flawed democracy. Arabs (not to mention Africans) are widely marginalized and deprived of the right to vote - or many rights at all for that matter if theyre Palestinian. So are other religious minorities, merely look at the law Bibi introduced a few years ago that upset the marinites etc. so much. Do you view it as democratic allowing a fraudster and general crook to be in power and influence the justice ministry? In turn, do you view cluster bombing children as democratic, or having your main military doctrine as an explicit war crime,. with several other ones also being war crimes. There's a good reason Israel refuses top ever get along with the ICC (like America, which is also a flawed democracy)

All that aside though, i'm curious where you got your opinions on the conflict and the protagonists from? If memory serves you are a school kid so it cant have really been from there, unless the syllabus has changed dramatically in the years since i went. Is it just from the papers and some wiki searches or have you bought some books etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending