1/3 cucumber
1 avocado
1/2 orange bell pepper
2 carrots
3 sticks celery
handful chopped spinach leaves
60cal crumbled feta cheese

All cut up in a bowl. No dressing.

Is there a problem with me eating this for my dinner 3 or 4 times a week? Often I can't finish and eat the rest for lunch the next day. I think it's healthy but I could be wrong?

Trying to lose weight and don't want to be eating more calories than I think and messing it all up. :frown:
(edited 1 year ago)
Sounds like you're doing very well. :smile:
Personally I'd ditch the avocado.
Maybe consider replacing it with some nuts, a small portion of vegan probitic yoghurt or fresh green chillies.

I do something similar as a mini-salad served with breakfast every day.
I add garlic and onion instead of tomato & normally have some homemade extra hot chilli sauce or encona extra hot pepper sauce.

Are you happy with eating it at least 3 times a week plus for lunch when you have leftovers?
Do you feel that you have enough energy and variety of flavours with your afternoon & evening meals?
sounds good to me. I like salads too but they just don't fill me up. I get so so hungry after an hour or so. of having salad for lunch.
Reply 3
Original post by Sabertooth
1 tomato
1/3 cucumber
1 avocado
1/2 orange bell pepper
2 carrots
3 sticks celery

Is there a problem with me eating this for my dinner 3 or 4 times a week? Often I can't finish and eat the rest for lunch the next day. I think it's healthy but I could be wrong?

Trying to lose weight and don't want to be eating more calories than I think and messing it all up. :frown:

Sounds very healthy indeed. Delicious too!
1 tomato
1/3 cucumber
1 avocado
1/2 orange bell pepper
2 carrots
3 sticks celery

It sounds very healthy and balanced. Some pointers though:
1. You need to be mindful to make sure that you are getting enough protein in your overall daily diet. While the feta will contain some protein, avocado contains almost none (1g for half an avocado) and nothing else in that ingredient list contains any protein. If you're male then you need about 56 grams of protein a day and if you're female then you need about 46 grams of protein per day. Protein is really important especially if you're trying to lose weight as it won't make you fat and will help go a significant way in keeping your appetite under check while helping you build a more balanced physique (less fat more lean body mass).
2. Going carb-free or low-carb for dinners is very good if you're trying to lose weight because carbs are mostly empty calories and won't get effectively burned if you're eating them at the very end of the day. However you do need some carbs in your diet and it is important to make sure that you're eating some high-fibre healthy carb based meal/s for breakfast and lunch (such as porridge or a bean-based salad).
1 tomato
1/3 cucumber
1 avocado
1/2 orange bell pepper
2 carrots
3 sticks celery

Its certainly nutritious. Lacks protein.
As to if its healthy it depends on your whole diet & lifestyle, how many calories you need and what your putting in.
You realise you can eat anything and lose weight? No, genuinely. What happens is that people take this advice and forget obvious points. Let's say you had 1800 calories, for instance, of pizza - you'd lose weight (assuming it was in a deficit). But the issue is satiety. You can have that pizza, but you'd feel 'hungry' later on. So, what happens? You keep eating to feel full, but then you severely overeat on calories and you're left scratching your head.

The solution? Have foods that satiate you, however don't ignore other foods because you think they're 'bad' or will make you 'fat'. I'd say to stay consistent to this rule you should have one cheat meal, not day, a week or something. It just keeps you focused.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by gtty123
You realise you can eat anything and lose weight? No, genuinely. What happens is that people take this advice and forget obvious points. Let's say you had 1800 calories, for instance, of pizza - you'd lose weight (assuming it was in a deficit). But the issue is satiety. You can have that pizza, but you'd feel 'hungry' later on. So, what happens? You keep eating to feel full, but then you severely overeat on calories and you're left scratching your head.

The solution? Have foods that satiate you, however don't ignore other foods because you think they're 'bad' or will make you 'fat'. I'd say to stay consistent to this rule you should have one cheat meal, not day, a week or something. It just keeps you focused.

Well you can but to add to this, weight is important to health but not the only thing if you want to maximise your health eating a balanced diet with fibre, protein, vitamins & minerals is more sensible, if all you ate was pizza their would be all sorts of knock on effects (lots of autoimmune conditions, aerobic systems, muscular & skeletal systems, digestive system, immune systems all require nutrition to remain healthy).
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by mnot
Well you can but to add to this, weight is important to health but not the only thing if you want to maximise your health eating a balanced diet with fibre, protein, vitamins & minerals is more sensible, if all you ate was pizza their would be all sorts of knock on effects (lots of autoimmune conditions, aerobic systems, muscular & skeletal systems, digestive system, immune systems all require nutrition to remain healthy).

Oh, yeah. Of course. I wouldn't advocate ever eating pizza alone to lose weight, but having a meal here and there isn't going to detrimentally ruin you. As @mnot said, you do want to eat foods that will be rich in protein, fibre, minerals and vitamins etc.
Original post by Feastful
It sounds very healthy and balanced. Some pointers though:
1. You need to be mindful to make sure that you are getting enough protein in your overall daily diet. While the feta will contain some protein, avocado contains almost none (1g for half an avocado) and nothing else in that ingredient list contains any protein. If you're male then you need about 56 grams of protein a day and if you're female then you need about 46 grams of protein per day. Protein is really important especially if you're trying to lose weight as it won't make you fat and will help go a significant way in keeping your appetite under check while helping you build a more balanced physique (less fat more lean body mass).
2. Going carb-free or low-carb for dinners is very good if you're trying to lose weight because carbs are mostly empty calories and won't get effectively burned if you're eating them at the very end of the day. However you do need some carbs in your diet and it is important to make sure that you're eating some high-fibre healthy carb based meal/s for breakfast and lunch (such as porridge or a bean-based salad).

Thanks dude for the advice. I probably don't eat enough protein so I'll be mindful of that and try to up my consumption. I had an instant pot chicken breast and white bean chilli for dinner last night so that had a lot of protein but in general I don't really like meat much. Tofu is good though right? I have cereal with milk for breakfast every day and drink 4 or 5 cups of tea with milk most days too.
Original post by gtty123

Yeah, I know I could eat only 1000 calories of pizza every day and I'd lose a lot of weight, but I have high blood sugar/possible pre-diabetes so I'm trying to eat more healthy foods alongside exercise to keep my blood sugar down.

This salad really fills me up and I enjoy it. There's a lot of veggies and most times I can't finish it so it's definitely satiating me.
Thanks dude for the advice. I probably don't eat enough protein so I'll be mindful of that and try to up my consumption. I had an instant pot chicken breast and white bean chilli for dinner last night so that had a lot of protein but in general I don't really like meat much. Tofu is good though right? I have cereal with milk for breakfast every day and drink 4 or 5 cups of tea with milk most days too.

Yes Tofu is a reasonably good source of protein (about 8g per 100g of tofu) and the white beans will also contain protein too (about 6g per 100g of beans), so if you serve up a proper serving of both then you could really get quite a substantial amount of your daily RDA of protein in just one tofu & white bean chilli meal. If you like foodstuffs like tofu, then Tempeh might be worth trying out for you (if you haven't done so already) as it contains a much heftier 20g of protein per 100g and it not only contains all the essential amino acids, but it has a lot of well known health benefits too.
Yeah, I know I could eat only 1000 calories of pizza every day and I'd lose a lot of weight, but I have high blood sugar/possible pre-diabetes so I'm trying to eat more healthy foods alongside exercise to keep my blood sugar down.

This salad really fills me up and I enjoy it. There's a lot of veggies and most times I can't finish it so it's definitely satiating me.

I understand you so well. There are foods that are pleasant for us, and the satisfaction doubles when I know it works for my health also. My brother is pre-diabetic. He follows a healthy diet, so I often eat the same food with him. And suprisingly it can be the same delicious. So I sometimes think over if I really need those junk snaks. He needs to take weekly shots, fortunately we got ozempic cupon, and work out regularly to lose weight. I don't want to be in his shoes, so I try to already go healthy way.
(edited 1 year ago)
1 tomato
1/3 cucumber
1 avocado
1/2 orange bell pepper
2 carrots
3 sticks celery

If you enjoy it, then go for it. I would add more protein. Just because you are trying to lose weight, doesn't mean you cant eat everything you once loved. Eating things you love wont make u gain weight. Eat the things you enjoy in a sensible amount and ur weight will be fine. Its better to do that than having a cheat day

Quick Reply

Latest