The Student Room Group

can i cancel my ACA job contract

Hey,
I signed a contract at a top accountancy firm in London to do ACA qualification with them.

I just realized that I hate big cities, so I decided to apply to a differ company based in surrey.

Can I cancel my contract with them ( I due to start in January )
Did you read the contract? What does it say?

Most contracts will have a paragraph or two about how, when, and under what circumstances either party may terminate the contract.

In the first instance, I'd be guided by that.
Why cancel when you only have an interview at another firm? Could you enquire about a transfer of office?
Original post by DataVenia
Did you read the contract? What does it say?

Most contracts will have a paragraph or two about how, when, and under what circumstances either party may terminate the contract.

In the first instance, I'd be guided by that.

I couldn't find it. That's the thing
Original post by ajj2000
Why cancel when you only have an interview at another firm? Could you enquire about a transfer of office?

They have no offices in rural regions
Original post by skyangelbro
I couldn't find it. That's the thing

You couldn't find the contract you signed? That's unfortunate.
You couldn't find the contract you signed? That's unfortunate.

I can't find the section of that but in the contract
Original post by skyangelbro
I can't find the section of that but in the contract

Then maybe that there is no explicit right terminate the contract. If no such right is explicitly stated in the contract, you'll need to fall-back in the implied rights which are inherent in all contracts. Case law has determined that were no explicit right to termination exists, an implied right exists - providing "reasonable notice" is provided. Of course, the law does not define that term and says that is would depend on the specifics of the situation.

Given that the contract does not begin until January, I would have thought that giving notice now would be "reasonable". However, do make sure you have another contract in place before you do so, lest you have nowhere to go in January.

BTW, are you a fairly thorough and detailed kind of person? If not, ask someone else to go through contract looking for a termination clause - just in case.
Then maybe that there is no explicit right terminate the contract. If no such right is explicitly stated in the contract, you'll need to fall-back in the implied rights which are inherent in all contracts. Case law has determined that were no explicit right to termination exists, an implied right exists - providing "reasonable notice" is provided. Of course, the law does not define that term and says that is would depend on the specifics of the situation.

Given that the contract does not begin until January, I would have thought that giving notice now would be "reasonable". However, do make sure you have another contract in place before you do so, lest you have nowhere to go in January.

BTW, are you a fairly thorough and detailed kind of person? If not, ask someone else to go through contract looking for a termination clause - just in case.

I must me If I got 80% in my physical chem dissertation :smile:
Have you got a job lined up before you give your notice? I am sure it won't be an issue if you tell them now then they can offer it to someone else.

Quick Reply

Latest