Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can I do this?

And if so, how would I put this in the bibliography?

ReputationRep:
    At my uni it's not reccommended in the same way that you shouldn't cite from a book. It's better to cite from the original source because it's apprantly less biased.

ReputationRep:
    I quoted lectures last year. I did it as 'Michael Mullet, ‘Early Modern Europe: A ‘society of orders’ or ‘a class society’?’, Hist121 lecture series, Lancaster University, 9th October 2007', so the lecturer's name, the title of the lecture, course name, University, and date. They accepted it as perfectly fine.

ReputationRep:
    I got away with doing it in first year, they accepted it but pointed out that its not really good practice, you should use published works. I referenced it in a similar way to Teao the Cat. Maybe try asking whoever runs the course or someone from your department about it

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on the Lecturer who did the slides.

One of my lecturers doesn't mind at all as he says that the stuff he puts on his slides is up to date research which he has carried out so it's perfectly valid to use, others don't recommend it at all.

I'd check with the particular lecturer who will be marking the coursework.

ReputationRep:
    Mine said never ever do that under any circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't look particularly good when, with hundreds of books in the library, you have to use your lecturer's notes.

ReputationRep:
    I was told that you can do this, in a similar way as you would a book but most Universities will not accept it as a good quality source and it is not always necessary if it is from your own universities lectures.

ReputationRep:
    If what you're using from the slide is in the lecturer's words, why not just change it into your own words? If it's a quote from an academic book on the slide, I quote the book it came from. I never quote actual lecture slides.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it. It's as bad as citing Wikipedia...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    Don't do it. It's as bad as citing Wikipedia...
    I wouldn't say so. I'm sure lecturers are much more qualified and recognised than the randomers adding wikipedia pages to the 'net.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.