Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I picked up a random sheffield accent after hanging around with people from there over a weekend, I was 'dants' rather than 'daance' and stuff :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Ive picked up a scouse twang (though Ive always used scouse phrases), as Ive discussed here (I think) before, the big examples are:

Week
    Saturday
    Twenty

My parents have told me off for not speaking properly :P

In terms of parts of Liverpool, I sound really scouse when I say:
    Speke (greater emphasis on the K)
    Tue Brook
    Garston (ocassionally)
    Mossley Hill (drop the H)

And then there's the nicknames: Toxteth=Toccy, Kensington=Kenny, Croxteth=Croccy. But the Uni is predominetly northern, with a significant part of that being Scouse.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I'm Irish - west of Ireland but thank god I've never had the culchie accent - and living in Edinburgh. I thought I would but I haven't. Damn lol I do now say cupboard though :yep: My mum thinks 'tad' is a Scottish word now cos I say it sometimes but I just say random stuff a lot!

ReputationRep:
    No, I've actually developed more of a "back home" accent since my main friends at uni come from nearby towns.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm not even entirely sure I know what the local accent sounds like. You don't really hear much of it around the university.

ReputationRep:
    No, and I doubt I will.

ReputationRep:
    I've lived in S.E. London all my life, and have no particular accent. I speak in the Queen's English according to my friends... ugh I'm not as posh as her!! I never say "one must do this" :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Redpanda91)
    I've lived in S.E. London all my life, and have no particular accent. I speak in the Queen's English according to my friends... ugh I'm not as posh as her!! I never say "one must do this" :p:
    The Queen doesn't actually speak the Queen's English, so one thinks you should be fine on that account.

ReputationRep:
    I lost my accent when I went to uni, pretty much entirely!

ReputationRep:
    Well I thankfully don't have my local full blown accent (I'm from staffordshire...so in parts of it there's a thick (interpret how you like), potteries accent)! I'm at uni in Exeter and repeatedly get pulled up for my "northern twang", though some say I sound like a Scouse. mmmhmm. I doubt i'll pick up this accent...though I find it funny to imitate a certain local phrase "My loverrrr" I love it! My mother is welsh and i'm sure that when I'm speaking to people here with a strong welsh accent that I pick it up somewhat!

ReputationRep:
    Na, in Aberdeen the most comment accent is Irish, and I've not developed that yet. Though I keep catching myself saying things like "Im just after goin to the bank" and "I reckon" and "I'd say so" lol

ReputationRep:
    I come from Manchester, lived here all my life. Developed my own random accent though. Sounds slightly Manchesterish but reallyyyyy posh at the same time. No idea where the posh voice came from

ReputationRep:
    I'm yet to develop my Norfolk accent, having lived here all my life. I'm quite disappointed really, it'd be such a talking point;

"OMG SAY COMBINE HARVESTER!!11"

ReputationRep:
    I think like a lot of people, I developed a bit more of a "university accent".

I go to the University of Warwick, which is in Coventry, but I certainly haven't picked up the local accent. But then, I don't know many locals at all.

I mainly mix with other students and recent graduates, who tend to be southerners. In first year I had flatmates from London, Devon and Sussex. There was another guy from York, but he was Zimbabwean anyway, and his accent was a cross between South African and southern English.

So I'd say I've got a bit more posh, a bit more southern sounding. I still don't do the long a sounds ("baaarth" instead of "bath", etc.) but my "u"s have got less northern sounding, I think.

That said, I've always spoken fairly correctly, without a strong regional accent. People struggle to place me. Northerners and other people where I'm from (between Nottingham and Derby) think I sound posh or southern, but any southerner can tell straight away that I'm not!

My housemate this year is from Oxford, and she says that she became less posh and southern at uni. I think we all start to fall into some happy medium, and our accents get less strong. On the other hand, I cling to specific words that no-one else at uni understands.

ReputationRep:
    I've lived in Northern Ireland since I was 14 and my accent hasn't changed one bit since I left England.

ReputationRep:
    I've lived in Manchester all my life but my family don't really do proper angry, whereas the people I know do, so I sound very high and Northern when I'm angry and the rest of the time Northern enough my family laugh at me but "posh" enough my friends laugh at me.

ReputationRep:
    According to my parents, I pick up a real Stokie twang when I've been at uni a while. I don't notice though, which is worrying.

ReputationRep:
    According to my parents, I pick up a real Stokie twang when I've been at uni a while. I don't notice though, which is worrying.

ReputationRep:
    Probably slightly, I have a tendency to pick up accents very easily. You can always tell when I've been home for a while because I come back with a much stronger Highland accent!

ReputationRep:
    I've only been here since October, but I've noticed some changes. I'm the South, and I'm at Birmingham, so naturally there are quite a few people from the Midlands here. I'm developing a little bit of a twang. My flatmates are all Londoners, however, and I've involuntarily picked up their slang... "bare", etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.