Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I was born in Cheltenham, have lived in Gloucester my entire life and im now @ UoG. Therefore I have not developed an accent whilst being @ Uni, I have a Gloucester farmer accent . . . what more do I want? . . . .:rolleyes: :cool: :o:

ReputationRep:
    Am from the South but am based in the midlands for uni. Haven't really picked up an accent as such, but the midlands/northern accent is so nice <3

ReputationRep:
    I live in fear of it, but nothing has changed yet.

You see, I study in Wales.

ReputationRep:
    I've picked up a lot of the regional slang but I don't like it so I am really trying to stop using it but it is so difficult!

ReputationRep:
    generally idiom is picked up rather than accent

i am originally from the North Notts / Derbyshire border area but have lived and worked in Yorkshire for the past 10 years, my idiom is increasingly Yorkshire but my accent remains my original tempered with a bit of the mongrel RAF accent as i lived in Lincolnshire thorughout my schooling so there were lots of RAF people about.

Oddly enough a lot of ex miners pick up i'm from North Notts originally - i suppose becasue of the mining traditions of north Notts and where i live now meaning some cross fertilisation...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    I'm not even entirely sure I know what the local accent sounds like. You don't really hear much of it around the university.
    It's a bit different at my end, due to the number of scousers, but I can see where your coming from, from someones that's only ever heard a default northern accent before I started uni, Ive now heard geordie, scottish, lancastrian, midlands, boltonian, posh, cockney, scouse, cornish, avon, welsh accents

ReputationRep:
    i really wanna scouser or geordie accent haha only for a lil while though, just to see what it would be like

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Brighton and have been in Leeds for a few months, i've picked up more scouse from my best mate than the regional dialect..
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I've picked up a southern accent, but whenever I go home it goes back to Yorkshire!

ReputationRep:
    Well my accent is pretty mixed up anyway but I don't think it has any hints of Dundonian in it yet *shudder*. I probably do sound a bit more Scottish than I used to though. I'd say I'm a cross between Geordie, something more Southern and Scottish, with a bit of an Irish thrown in because most people I speak to on a regular basis here are Irish. So yeah.. really screwed up!

ReputationRep:
    I've lost quite a lot of my accent - have developed a mix of Irish and southern English that sounds Irish to the English and English to the Irish. Can't win really.

ReputationRep:
    Ugggh, im not at uni yet, but cos im now looking at going to Leeds or Liverpool (cant' see Edinburgh accepting me, and Swansea is a fall back just in case i don't get in the others). If i end up with a Yorkshire accent or a scouse one i will not be happy. I have a proper broad Bolton accent, drop the t's and all that jazz, and i really don't want to lose it, it's a babe.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully not, I love my West Midlands drawl.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.