The Student Room Group

Cambridge colleges

Hey, I really want to apply for maths at kings college Cambridge next year (just finished y12). However, I heard that if you come from a private school, then you are very unlikely to get in. I have a scholarship and bursary, but I’m scared I’ll get rejected and have a higher chance somewhere else. Does anybody know how the application works?
Original post by YGSK
Hey, I really want to apply for maths at kings college Cambridge next year (just finished y12). However, I heard that if you come from a private school, then you are very unlikely to get in. I have a scholarship and bursary, but I’m scared I’ll get rejected and have a higher chance somewhere else. Does anybody know how the application works?

You apply through UCAS - do you meet the subject and grade requirements for the college? They are trying to get more state school students to be fairer but what you've been told is nonsense.
Original post by YGSK

I have never heard of this before and I highly doubt you'd get rejected because of that. It's still worth trying your best with your personal statement and studies so you can show the uni your high potential. You still have a good amount of time for uni applications and applications are usually done via UCAS. In this process you can apply for 5 courses at whichever unis and after you've received the offer decisions, you'll be able to narrow things down to 2 choices; main and insurance.

In my experience when I was unsure of getting a place on a specific course at Uni, I decided to apply for 2 courses at that uni instead (they were both quite similar) I didn't get one of them but I manged to get the other - so that's worth considering too.

It sounds daunting, but it's really not that bad. Good Luck with everything tho! :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks for all the advice!

My teacher said that if I applied to kings my chances will be lower as they have a higher state school intake (which is 100% a good thing). The main reason I want to apply to kings is actually because of this, because I was at a state school up until year 11.
Original post by YGSK

Heya! Application for maths is very challenging at Cambridge. They look into your a-levels, personal statement, admissions test scores and interview results to make a final decision. You could apply to kings as your backup university maybe? If you want to find out about the application process and how to succeed in it then do check out this Oxbridge UCAS Guide full of detailed information on application and a college comparison tool!

Hope this helps!
Milena G.
Oxbridge Mind
Original post by OxbridgeMind
Heya! Application for maths is very challenging at Cambridge. They look into your a-levels, personal statement, admissions test scores and interview results to make a final decision. You could apply to kings as your backup university maybe? If you want to find out about the application process and how to succeed in it then do check out this Oxbridge UCAS Guide full of detailed information on application and a college comparison tool!

Hope this helps!
Milena G.
Oxbridge Mind

Is this really a reply from an Official Rep? TSR - where is your quality control, or are they paying you so much they can reply as they like?

Quick Reply

Latest