Turn on thread page Beta

DS - Good or bad? watch

ReputationRep:
    I currently am getting nothing for xmas and I was thinking about a DS. I'm currently hooked on Pet Society and I love playing brain train type games but just wondering if it'll be worth it. I generally give up on games if they have loads of levels so I don't wanna waste my money

And could you maybe recommend some easy-playing games as well? Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    If you want you could perhaps wait for the DSi (no official release date, but expect Q1/2 next year) which despite losing the GBA slot, has added SD functionality, as well as 2 cameras which could make potential titles quite interesting indeed...

That being said if you're after a DS Lite this Xmas, then I highly recommend games like Elite Beat Agents, Nintendogs, The Brain Training franchise, Tetris, Mario Kart, Zelda - Phantom Hourglass etcetera which easily fit the bill...

You could diversify into titles such as the Castlevania: order of ecclessia and The World Ends With You though, as they are both highly engaging games

ReputationRep:
    DSi is such a load of rubbish, it's basically a phone without the phone bit, I wouldn't bother with that the GBA slot is far more useful than a crappy camera (I read 1.3MP i think, your phone is probably better).

Games wise I recommend rune factory and pokemon. ******* fantastic games, animal crossing is popular although I didn't like it.

ReputationRep:
    DS Lite and R4 DS. Sorted.

ReputationRep:
    I'd seen the DSi but I don't want to spend loads. I really like the look of those games you've mentioned, though I dunno what my mum would say when i ask for Nintendogs for xmas

More opinions would be welcome

ReputationRep:
    Get the DS, don't bother about the DSi.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I love my DS, it's the only console I've used constantly, lol. I really like most of the Mario games :yep:

ReputationRep:
    DS > DSi

You don't need cameras - they are just a gimmick. Plus you don't want to lose the gameboy slot.

Games? Well I really loved the Ace Attorney games, there are 4 in all (Ace Attorney, Justice for all, Trials and Tribulations, Apollo Justice:Ace Attorney) I recommend you play them in order!

Other than that... Professor Layton and the Curious Village is awesome, as is Final Fantasy IV. New Super Mario Bros. is pretty good, Mario Kart DS too.

That and Golden Sun 1 and 2 for the Gameboy Advance!

There are loads of awesome titles! Just one bit of advice - don't buy a game without reading a couple of reviews. For every good game on the DS there are 5 diabolical ones. Although as a general rule, you cant go wrong with any of the major franchises like Mario, Zelda, Final Fantasy, etc.

ReputationRep:
    the DS is amazing!

i personally wouldnt hold out for a DSi - seems like a complete waste of time!

that reminds me... i need to get that professor layton game...

Mario kart is a must have for the ds.

Also, if you like 'little' games, cooking mama 1/2 might be ok for you - check it out online though. I find myself getting weirdly addicted to that game

ReputationRep:
    Agreed with all the DSi comments, it seems too gimmicky. Stick with a DS Lite.

ReputationRep:
    The DS is a good all-rounder whether you like the more hardcore games or the gimmicky "Brain Training" kind (No offence :p:)

If you're into that kind of stuff there's quite a lot of Brain Training games out now. Would also strongly recommend Warioware Touched! It's simple and fun. I don't think you should overlook some of the classics either:

Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass
    Mario Kart DS
    New Super Mario Bros.
    Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time.

I think you should also check out Animal Crossing:Wild World which is more of a Sims-style game. Cooking Mama and Nintendogs aren't bad either for simple fun.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get a DSi. You can't use an R4 / EDGE / M3 BLA BLA BLA on it.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions! Now I've gotta decide on a colour and figure out who has the best deal

ReputationRep:
    Get black. All the cool kids have black DSs.

ReputationRep:
    im thinking of getting one how easy is it to put games on a card or whatever? :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I have an R4 and its very easy just dragging and dropping files like with a memory stick

ReputationRep:
    the ds is amazing... it's pretty much essential if you like those brain puzzle games, although you should check out the mario, zelda and final fantasy games too

ReputationRep:
    What is the R4 that everyone keeps talking about?

(I've also picked my DS. I'm getting a silver one from GAME cos for £140 ish you get the DS, Mario Kart, Mario and Sonic Olympics and a screen protector pack thingy with extra pens and carry cases)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lehane)
    What is the R4 that everyone keeps talking about?

(I've also picked my DS. I'm getting a silver one from GAME cos for £140 ish you get the DS, Mario Kart, Mario and Sonic Olympics and a screen protector pack thingy with extra pens and carry cases)
    it's an external media storage device, essentially you can play games downloaded from the net (ROMs), homebrew and other media by putting a Micro SD Card into the R4/M3/CycloDS which the adaptor reads and allows you to play the downloaded content on your DS.

Essentially its free (illegal for the most part) gaming, even if the product itself isn't illegal

ReputationRep:
    Ohh, OK. Thanks

Just went to order my DS, and the offer has changed in the past 5 hours so I'm not getting it

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.