The Student Room Group

I don’t know what a levels to take, help!!

This is literally such a hard decision and i’ve been going back and forth for nearly a year.
The subjects I am debating on are- chemistry, biology, maths, history and business.
1. History- I have always adored this subject and in my mocks i’ve done absolutely amazing on it and I think my gcse history went well, it’s my favourite subject and will always be, I love history during school and outside of school. I also like the fact that lots of humanities subjects like history includes debating and working with others with I enjoy and will help me make friends in sixth form. However, I don’t really think i’m going for a career in history (unless maybe I want to do law or something)
2. Maths- This subject i’ve had a love and hate relationship with. I was never THE BEST at maths, I was average until last year and this year where i worked so hard and became really good at it, and right now i’m aiming for a grade 8 in my gcses and i think i got it. I also know maths is so useful for most degrees and i don’t want my hard earned grade in my maths gcse to go to waste as it’s one of my top grades and i don’t want to have worked hard for it if i’m not gonna carry on doing it in sixth form college.
2. Bio/Chem- I also worked so hard for my combined science gcse after being so horrible at science and i might even get top grades in it. I don’t know what i wanna do at university AT ALL (as you guys can tell i’m so indecisive it’s stuff like this which is really annoying), but i’m scared i might want to do something stem related like medicine or something (most likely) and i won’t have the a levels for it. It’s just that unlike maths and history, i’m not interested in these subjects at all (maybe only biology however i’m not the best at it and if i didn’t do combined science my grade would be lower) which is why i had to work so hard for them in my gcses. I’m just worried about what i want to do at university and if i might need them. I’m more of a STEM person than a humanities person though.
3. Business is a filler subject but i had a taster of it on new students day and really liked it

I know this is a lot but please help me i’m so indecisive i don’t know what to do at all!!
Reply 1
I did History - if you want my advice, if you love the subject then take it, really. You do learn so many fascinating topics - I did the OCR exam board and did: Tudors, Civil Rights In The USA and International Relations (literally that part was just an extension of the GCSE paper), and don't get me wrong, I loved the learning side of it, but it was the content which I struggled with hugely. The content does increase dramatically in comparison to GCSE and there is regardless of what exam board you may go on, a set structure you have to learn in comparison to GCSE in order to answer each question successfully - something which held me back significantly but if you're prepared to put the dedication into revision and its something you love, I'd say go for it.
In fact that's a general tip for A Levels - whilst doing things which will help your future career plans should you have them worked out will be beneficial, make sure it's subjects that you love and are dedicated too.
Good luck with everything :smile:
Original post by Hajora0505
This is literally such a hard decision and i’ve been going back and forth for nearly a year.
The subjects I am debating on are- chemistry, biology, maths, history and business.
1. History- I have always adored this subject and in my mocks i’ve done absolutely amazing on it and I think my gcse history went well, it’s my favourite subject and will always be, I love history during school and outside of school. I also like the fact that lots of humanities subjects like history includes debating and working with others with I enjoy and will help me make friends in sixth form. However, I don’t really think i’m going for a career in history (unless maybe I want to do law or something)
2. Maths- This subject i’ve had a love and hate relationship with. I was never THE BEST at maths, I was average until last year and this year where i worked so hard and became really good at it, and right now i’m aiming for a grade 8 in my gcses and i think i got it. I also know maths is so useful for most degrees and i don’t want my hard earned grade in my maths gcse to go to waste as it’s one of my top grades and i don’t want to have worked hard for it if i’m not gonna carry on doing it in sixth form college.
2. Bio/Chem- I also worked so hard for my combined science gcse after being so horrible at science and i might even get top grades in it. I don’t know what i wanna do at university AT ALL (as you guys can tell i’m so indecisive it’s stuff like this which is really annoying), but i’m scared i might want to do something stem related like medicine or something (most likely) and i won’t have the a levels for it. It’s just that unlike maths and history, i’m not interested in these subjects at all (maybe only biology however i’m not the best at it and if i didn’t do combined science my grade would be lower) which is why i had to work so hard for them in my gcses. I’m just worried about what i want to do at university and if i might need them. I’m more of a STEM person than a humanities person though.
3. Business is a filler subject but i had a taster of it on new students day and really liked it

I know this is a lot but please help me i’m so indecisive i don’t know what to do at all!!

I would choose:

- History
- Maths
- Biology (any other science you're interested in)

I feel as though this is a good mix of hard and soft A-levels. I would choose those as you did mention you prefer Stem more and it would give you a variety of options in regards to choosing what you want to do at university. You've still got a while to choose, but it might be worth looking at some potential uni courses you might do and see what subjects they're looking for to help with your A level choices.
I would recommend against taking biology or chemistry if you don't like them and are only doing combined science - the content in those subjects is a huge leap from GCSE, even from triple science, and if you don't like them you will not be motivated to put in the work that needs to be put in.

Like above, I would highly recommend history - yes, there is a lot of content (as there is in most A-levels), but the stuff you learn is so interesting and can really link to current events as well (e.g. civil rights in the US). Don't be put off by the fact that you don't want to do a degree in history, I want to do computer science and I still don't regret doing it

Maths is obviously good for keeping your options open. I would say maths is all about the effort you put in more than natural talent, and it seems to me like you are perfectly capable of putting in the work required

I don't know that much about business, sorry - I take economics, which I think is similar, and I really like that if that's any help lol
Original post by Bean_cat
I would choose:

- History
- Maths

I feel as though this is a good mix of hard and soft A-levels. I would choose those as you did mention you prefer Stem more and it would give you a variety of options in regards to choosing what you want to do at university. You've still got a while to choose, but it might be worth looking at some potential uni courses you might do and see what subjects they're looking for to help with your A level choices.

What A-levels in that list would you regard as 'soft'? Those are all very traditional academic subjects that would be accepted by any university
Original post by juicygcse
What A-levels in that list would you regard as 'soft'? Those are all very traditional academic subjects that would be accepted by any university

I was unsure about history ( I thought it was soft, but it's not). I probably should have used the term facilitating subjects instead. They are all good subjects and I agree that they would all be accepted by any university, to clarify; my point was that it would be a good idea to choose a variety of A levels so that you'd have a lot of flexibility when making a degree choice.

History would be an interesting choice because it'd provide you with good essay writing skills, and it's got bits of everything in it.

Mathematics is great for providing you with problem solving and logical skills and it's a subject requirement for a vast majority of Stem degrees.

A science would benefit you with researching and analytical skills.

Ultimately, it's your choice what you choose and I wish you the best of luck :smile:
Original post by bird019
I did History - if you want my advice, if you love the subject then take it, really. You do learn so many fascinating topics - I did the OCR exam board and did: Tudors, Civil Rights In The USA and International Relations (literally that part was just an extension of the GCSE paper), and don't get me wrong, I loved the learning side of it, but it was the content which I struggled with hugely. The content does increase dramatically in comparison to GCSE and there is regardless of what exam board you may go on, a set structure you have to learn in comparison to GCSE in order to answer each question successfully - something which held me back significantly but if you're prepared to put the dedication into revision and its something you love, I'd say go for it.
In fact that's a general tip for A Levels - whilst doing things which will help your future career plans should you have them worked out will be beneficial, make sure it's subjects that you love and are dedicated too.
Good luck with everything :smile:

thank you so much! what other a levels did you do apart from history?
Original post by Bean_cat
I would choose:

- History
- Maths

i think this would be the best combination, i’m just scared about biology😭 but thank you so much for the help
Reply 8
Original post by Hajora0505
thank you so much! what other a levels did you do apart from history?

English Literature and Psychology, both very interesting but incredibly content dense subjects - if you want any advice or heads up on them feel free to let me know :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest