Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andcho)
    is it just hard for the social science section, cause i saw the offers that had been made to the other applicants and they had conditional offers at BBB, surely my application (with at least an maths As-level or an A-level) is stronger that a BBB or am i totally incorrect?
    Well Edinburgh (almost uniquely amongst UK unis) gives very low offers. But most of the success applicants have very high grades. As I explained in the econ uni application guide:
    Why is the Edinburgh offer so low?
    Edinburgh makes BBB offers. But its tariff distribution is comparable to York’s:

So in terms of how hard it is to get offers think of it as an AAB uni not a BBB uni. Further their student selection basis is holistic and the following factors will all count in your favour:
    i) Attend a school from which few pupils progress to higher education.
    ii) Attend a school which is local (e.g. Edinburgh) or from a nearby region (e.g. Scotland and the English counties which border Scotland).
    iii) Parents did not attend uni
    IV) Serious Disruption to schooling (e.g. Health, disability or family reasons).
    See this post for further background on Edinburgh:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...2&postcount=12

(Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    The point is that the offers are low whilst the university has a rather good reputation, and so attracts many applications from top-calibre students. Thus, the offers (still of BBB) may well go to students with straight-A backgrounds and predictions, cracking personal statements and references, and whatnot. i.e. BBB is indicative purely of the level offer, not of the level of competition.
    Exactly. Nearly all good uk unis want predicted grades much higher than their typical offer, but in general better unis have higher typical offers. However, Edinburgh is unnusual in making lower offers than unis it is better than e.g. all the ABB economics unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    Well Edinburgh (almost uniquely amongst UK unis) gives very low offers. But most of the success applicants have very high grades. As I explained in the econ uni application guide:
    oh, i get it now, man i am reaaaaaally panicing here haha
    really want to be accepted at at least one uni... i know this is a weird question, but you said earlier that I had a chance, but not a great chance, is that cause of my maths or that i am international or my grades in general?

cause on the "sweden" home page they said that the students who were accepted last year for social science courses who were swedish had grades of Mvg(A) in the majority of the subjects and vg (B-C) in the rest of them.

ReputationRep:
    i am not going to apply for any swedish unis, if i fail, i will reapply next year and try to avoid mistakes, but i am hoping that at least one school will accept me, oxford seemed to like me a lot on the interview and i think i did very well actually, but i know it's extremely hard to get an offer there..
    Well it is good that you have a plan of what you will do if you don't get a uni offer this year. Because there is a high chance of that happening. e.g. it is not a good sign that St Andrews rejected you as out of your 5 they are probably the easiest to get offers from.

oh, i get it now, man i am reaaaaaally panicing here haha
    really want to be accepted at at least one uni...
    Sorry to hear that you are panicing. But in my experience trying to give false re-assurance does not work.

i know this is a weird question, but you said earlier that I had a chance, but not a great chance, is that cause of my maths or that i am international or my grades in general?.
    I am basing it on the only solid fact you gave that: that you are only doing the equivelant of AS-level maths

cause on the "sweden" home page they said that the students who were accepted last year for social science courses who were swedish had grades of Mvg(A) in the majority of the subjects and vg (B-C) in the rest of them.
    Economics (unlike other social sciences) is basically applied maths. So the economics specific situation will be different to the general social science situation.

ReputationRep:
    Well it is good that you have a plan of what you will do if you don't get a uni offer this year. Because there is a very high chance of that happening. e.g. it is not a good sign that St Andrews rejected you as out of your 5 they are probably the easiest to get offers from.

Sorry to hear that you are panicing. But in my experince trying to give false re-assurance does not work.

I am bassing it on the only solid fact you gave that: that you are only doing the equivalient of AS-level maths

Economics (unlike other socil sciences) is basically applied maths. So the economics specific situation will be different to the general social science situation.
    no i totally understand you, i really appreciate you helping me man!

so if i would be able to take Mathematics E, the equivalence of A-level maths, and nail it and get MVG(A), do you think I have a lot bigger chance of getting in?

in your experience, if you are a edinburgh student, have a lot of the economics students gotten in without an A-level math?

ReputationRep:
    so if i would be able to take Mathematics E, the equivalence of A-level maths, and nail it and get MVG(A), do you think I have a lot bigger chance of getting in?
    Doing more maths can only help you both in terms of getting offers and doing well once you get to uni.

in your experience, if you are a edinburgh student, have a lot of the economics students gotten in without an A-level math?
    I am not an Edinburgh student. But I am the closest thing TSR has to an expert on econ uni applications. And I can say that it is hard to get offers from Top 10 econ unis (all your 5 are top 10, so you have chosen quality unis) without full A-level Maths. Unis are not open about their selection criteria and Edinburgh are especially hard to work out. But they have a lot of strong applicants to choose from and you are in direct competition with a lot of UK A-level students who do have A-level Maths.

Not got a lot of data yet this year for Edinburgh as they don't make many economics offers before March. But there have been some St Andrews rejections of maths-less applicants:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=749623

ReputationRep:
    Doing more maths can only help you both in terms of getting offers and doing well once you get to uni.

I am not an Edinburgh student. But I am the closest thing TSR has to an expert on econ uni applications. And I can say that it is hard to get offers from Top 10 econ unis (all your 5 are top 10, so you have chosen quality unis) without full A-level Maths. Unis are not open about their selection criteria and Edinburgh are especially hard to work out. But they have a lot of strong applicants to choose from and you are in direct competition with a lot of UK A-level students who do have A-level Maths.

Not got a lot of data yet this year for Edinburgh as they don't make many economics offers before March. But there have been some St Andrews rejections of maths-less applicants:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=749623
    oh you are a pro haha, i almost feel honoured by getting replies from you!

ok, I will try to make it work so that I can take mathematics E, the A-level equivalent.

Then i will contact all the universities and tell them about my mistake, maybe even the ones that already rejected me.

the econ offers don't come out until march next year (edinburgh), so I probably have some time to correct my application for edinburgh at least.. and hopefully they will supplement my application!

sound good?

ReputationRep:
    oh you are a pro haha, i almost feel honoured by getting replies from you!

ok, I will try to make it work so that I can take mathematics E, the A-level equivalent.

Then i will contact all the universities and tell them about my mistake, maybe even the ones that already rejected me.

the econ offers don't come out until march next year (edinburgh), so I probably have some time to correct my application for edinburgh at least.. and hopefully they will supplement my application!

sound good?
    Yes but you still want to prioritise your changes.
    e.g. Edinburgh reject before then!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, has anyone got an offer for International Relations at Edinburgh? I have one from Leeds but am constantly checking and freaking out about being rejected from edin.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but you still want to prioritise your changes.
    e.g. Edinburgh reject before then!
    yeah i have already sent an email both to the economics department and the student recruitment and admissions office at edinburgh. hopefully they will answer tomorrow. thanks for all your help, i may be forced to ask you more questions later, hope thats ok

ReputationRep:
    yeah i have already sent an email both to the economics department and the student recruitment and admissions office at edinburgh. hopefully they will answer tomorrow. thanks for all your help, i may be forced to ask you more questions later, hope thats ok
    Yes but first check out the economic forum in general and my threads in particular:
    TAELT 2009 (The Alternative Economics League Table)http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=619184
    Which Universities should I apply to for Economics FAQhttp://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=658957
    Any Questions on how to do a good Economics PS?http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=664764

i.e. they should answer a lot of your questions.

Also check out the applications forum:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=6

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh Offer of BBB for English Language and Linguistics!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MDEH8176)
    Edinburgh Offer of BBB for English Language and Linguistics!!
    Congrats, same grades as mine Diff subject ofcourse

ReputationRep:
    Offer for History and Politics- BBB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gindo)
    Offer for History and Politics- BBB
    Very well done!

No reply for me yet though! To paraphrase Star Wars "I have a bad feeling about this"

:no: :no: :no:

ReputationRep:
    Yes but first check out the economic forum in general and my threads in particular:
    TAELT 2009 (The Alternative Economics League Table)http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=619184
    Which Universities should I apply to for Economics FAQhttp://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=658957
    Any Questions on how to do a good Economics PS?http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=664764

i.e. they should answer a lot of your questions.

Also check out the applications forum:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=6
    well, I just wanted to say that I managed to squeeze my A-level equivalent Mathematics course into my programme and the Admissions Office aknowledged that and put it into account. so now the only thing i can do is pray

ReputationRep:
    Offer for Molecular Biology! found out via the roundabout route - your application status vanishes and a new link appears (on Euclid)

ReputationRep:
    offer for philosophy and english language - unconditional

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for German.
    I'm not too hopeful though. They ask for 34 IB points, but I'm only predicted 33, with a 32-34 range and after emailing them, they said that they normally give offers ot applicants which "considerably higher" grades. It's a shame, because even though I've never visited the uni or city, I'm for some reason still quite attracted to it... maybe it's the course - I'd love to be able to take 2/3 subjects. (I'm applying for German and Chiense everywhere else).

I got a quick peek of my reference aswell, and it wasn't exactly great either... it didn't seem to really say anything - just along the lines of "a quiet student" and that was it.

Oh well. I guess I'll just find out in a couple of weeks/ months?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, so. I'm starting to look into a laptop for next year, and I was wondering what kind of laptop (i.e. Mac vs. Windows) Edinburgh prefers, if they have a preference. Does anyone know?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Everyone prefers Windows, but of course Linux is the best

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.