Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainfaery)
    I'm starting to look into a laptop for next year, and I was wondering what kind of laptop (i.e. Mac vs. Windows) Edinburgh prefers, if they have a preference. Does anyone know?
    For compatibility, there are Mac Labs, Windows Labs and the odd place running Linux too so pick whatever operating system you are comfortable with. Frankly the university doesn't care what computing facilities you use (be they your own or the University's open access labs, or anyone else's for that matter) so long as you type up the appropriate work.

There is a very high proportion (comparative to the general population) of Mac users at Edinburgh, it's just that sort of place... whether that means it is good to get one or not is up to you.

And all online resources I have used work fine with both Windows and Mac.

ReputationRep:
    AAB offer for second-year entry Physics!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artorscience?)
    For compatibility, there are Mac Labs, Windows Labs and the odd place running Linux too so pick whatever operating system you are comfortable with. Frankly the university doesn't care what computing facilities you use (be they your own or the University's open access labs, or anyone else's for that matter) so long as you type up the appropriate work.

There is a very high proportion (comparative to the general population) of Mac users at Edinburgh, it's just that sort of place... whether that means it is good to get one or not is up to you.

And all online resources I have used work fine with both Windows and Mac.
    Thank you so much for the advice. I really am leaning towards a Mac, so it is good to hear they have support for that. I just wasn't sure, because some universities I know have specific preferences for a certain operating system.

Thanks again!

(Original post by Mithra)
    Everyone prefers Windows, but of course Linux is the best
    I run Ubuntu on my desktop, and Windows on my laptop, but I think I'm going to go with Mac for university. I don't want to bother messing around with Linux and getting something wrong. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Economic Offers???????

ReputationRep:
    I just signed into euclid a few mins ago and found that the application status is blank and there is a new link to do with the fees. I just checked UCAS as well but its not come up there yet. Does this mean I have definitely been made an offer? And if so what type?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedro16)
    Does this mean I have definitely been made an offer?
    Nobody here can give you a definite answer to that. I'd be surprised if you hadn't, though.

And if so what type?
    You can't tell. Unless you're Scottish, have your A levels in hand, or some more complex scenario, then it's probably conditional.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks.
    I am indeed Scottish and I have my Highers at hand so fingers crossed that its unconditional!
    Its actually the BSc version of the Maths course you have applied for.
    Congratulations on your offers.

ReputationRep:
    Forgot to post here :p:, but I applied for Biology 2nd-year entry and my offer (IB) is 36 +666 in BCM. Congrats to everyone with offers and hello

ReputationRep:
    Hello to all
    I applied for Business Studies with Law quite some time ago, November 7th I think, and still haven't heard anything from Edinburgh apart from the MyEd account activation.
    I was wondering - do the decisions for Business Studies come out about the same time as those for Economics, since I've already seen some people with Econ that have been offered a place. I'm just curious how long I should be expect to wait. You're not supposed to answer to other universities before you receive all of your offers, right? That is to say, will I lose any offers from other universities if I have to wait for Edinburgh till April, for example?

Oh, and another thing - did you get an email when your euclid updated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morwen)
    You're not supposed to answer to other universities before you receive all of your offers, right?
    More to the point, you can't. You can only reply to offers if you have no outstanding applications (i.e. for each of your universities, you must either have been given an offer, rejected, or withdrawn your application to that university).

That is to say, will I lose any offers from other universities if I have to wait for Edinburgh till April, for example?
    In theory, universities are meant to reply by the 31st March. You have until the 5th of May, usually, to reply to your offers (and make sure you do - otherwise any outstanding offers are declined by default!).

This information is all available on the UCAS site - see UCAS Students: Important dates for your diary.

Oh, and another thing - did you get an email when your euclid updated?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    i just got an offer from edinburgh for intl relations.

ucas emailed me. status changed to conditional. i can only see the fees for my program on euclid. where ARE THE CONDITIONSS???
    HELPPPPPP

ReputationRep:
    Click on the course code on the track page

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alikarachi)
    i just got an offer from edinburgh for intl relations.

ucas emailed me. status changed to conditional. i can only see the fees for my program on euclid. where ARE THE CONDITIONSS???
    HELPPPPPP
    What were the conditions? BBB?

ReputationRep:
    yep.

BBB

ReputationRep:
    Just thought that I would add to this.
    Unconditional offer for History (V100).

ReputationRep:
    I am an international applicant who has passed her school exams. I have an offer from them (conditional to an acceptable score on the TOEFL) for entry into year 1. I now wish to change it to year 2. What would the procedure for that be? Is it even possible (since they have already made a decision)?

Oh, and I've applied for Molecular Biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rig_my_role)
    I now wish to change it to year 2. What would the procedure for that be? Is it even possible (since they have already made a decision)?
    Ring/e-mail admissions sometime when it's not Christmas and ask them. If your predicted grades are up to scratch you should be allowed the option of second year entry. For some people it is left open and a decision to be made after results but if you want to know more someone in the admissions department, during sensible office hours, should be able to help you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artorscience?)
    Ring/e-mail admissions sometime when it's not Christmas and ask them. If your predicted grades are up to scratch you should be allowed the option of second year entry. For some people it is left open and a decision to be made after results but if you want to know more someone in the admissions department, during sensible office hours, should be able to help you.
    I forgot to mention, I already have my grades (I applied with my actual grades, not the predicted ones). Doesn't the fact that I've been accepted for year 1 mean that I haven't been deemed fit for year 2? Or am I just over thinking this...

Thanks for your reply though

ReputationRep:
    I forgot to mention, I already have my grades (I applied with my actual grades, not the predicted ones). Doesn't the fact that I've been accepted for year 1 mean that I haven't been deemed fit for year 2? Or am I just over thinking this...
    Not necessarily. The requirements for second-year entry tend to be rather higher. For example, my course required BBBB at Higher for 1st year entry, but AAB at Advanced Higher for 2nd.

(Anecdotally, my two offer 'mails' in the Euclid system said that if I changed my mind and wished second year entry having applied only for normal entry, to speak to my tutor in the first week of term - oddly, in the same letter as they offered me a chance to defer the offer since I'll be fractionally younger than 18 at point of entry!)

ReputationRep:
    The response is still the same - talk to someone in admissions. They're the ones who know the answers and have the power to change your offer if needs be.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.