Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjames06)
    Nice.. what are you looking at doing for your critical essay?

I seem to be starting conversations about stuff in the wrong forums recently... talking about medicine in the scottish highers and now geog in the UoE forum :p:
    I've been looking on articles about water management, specifically the three gorges dam but i have also got ideas/work from malaria from last year (easy option!) but still looking around. What is your topic??

I see you got an offer - well done but with the grades you have they want more :0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    I've been looking on articles about water management, specifically the three gorges dam but i have also got ideas/work from malaria from last year (easy option!) but still looking around. What is your topic??

I see you got an offer - well done but with the grades you have they want more :0
    Yeah, with my grades even though they are what they are I haven't done Biology in SG or Higher so I need that.

I'm doing it on the cairngorm mountain railway. I have a friend whos doing it on malaria and is finding it hard to find stuff.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=anaxor13791]I personally think the whole system is completely wrong - right from the beginning of the secondary school cycle. Private schools are in principle, a bad thing.

damn right

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, with my grades even though they are what they are I haven't done Biology in SG or Higher so I need that.

I'm doing it on the cairngorm mountain railway. I have a friend whos doing it on malaria and is finding it hard to find stuff.
    At least it won't be too hard to get! Cairngorms would be interesting, is that the impact on the environment from the funicular?? Oh i want to do a human topic since my study is physical - can you suggest any good sites for resources??

ReputationRep:
    At least it won't be too hard to get! Cairngorms would be interesting, is that the impact on the environment from the funicular?? Oh i want to do a human topic since my study is physical - can you suggest any good sites for resources??
    Its more looking at the economic impact of the funicular and seeing if it is as good as it was made out to be before being built.

I can only recommend google, I found everything through that and no one site unfortunately,

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your comments Stanyon. Personally, I would applaud universities making allowances for able pupils from poor state schools, and I like to think they do this already. It’s crude Government interference I put a question mark over. I would have thought an all-applicants test designed to show academic potential would be a good thing. I believe some universities use this method in the USA. Regardless of one’s opinion about private education, it would surely be wrong to reject an independently educated candidate simply on those grounds, just as it would be to reject a state school applicant. The bottom line is that universities are not there to correct the faults of state secondary education, but they should do their best to recognise genuine academic ability, particularly if it has not flourished as well at is could have done due to bad luck with schooling. Nevertheless, this is all going off the thread so sorry folks. Best of luck with your applications to Edinburgh, whatever your educational background.

ReputationRep:
    Its more looking at the economic impact of the funicular and seeing if it is as good as it was made out to be before being built.

I can only recommend google, I found everything through that and no one site unfortunately,
    Same, its just google for me too and scholar + the teachers are all "it's an independent study" basically figure it out yourself :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanyon)
    I know you weren't asking me, but I thought I'd join in.

I got BCCC at AS and got an offer of BBB

But my personal statement and references were really good. And my predicted grades are AAB or ABB.

Last year my sister applied at Edinburgh, she got an offer in late feb/march and she got AAAA at AS, went on to get AAA at ALevel. In the end she turned them down for Paris!

So there is plenty of time yet, no news is good news I would say.
    what course did u get an offer for?????? economics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Ricky-)
    I know i'm probably being really impatient but has anyone gotten any offers for Politics yet? and if not, does anyone know when they typically go out?

Thanks a lot
    I haven't yet but I do have just received a conditional offer from Dundee but not from Edinburgh yet (though I think that Edinburgh are really late with making offers - or so I have heard).

ReputationRep:
    AAB for maths

ReputationRep:
    No, that's why I said 'You didn't ask me' lol

Biological Sciences
    or.............biology- but biology doesnt sound fancy enough

ReputationRep:
    Same, its just google for me too and scholar + the teachers are all "it's an independent study" basically figure it out yourself :P
    Yup, we are pounded with the self study as well. I'm going to post in the AH Geog thread in the Scottish Qualifications forum to take it away from UoE stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still awaiting an offer for International Relations (same department)....I think I've seen one or two people around that've had offers from the dept. but very few. I've had all my other offers, just waiting for Edinburgh!

ReputationRep:
    I'm coming to Edinburgh for sure next year?

Has anyone else decided to make Edinburgh their firm?

ReputationRep:
    Biological Sciences
    or.............biology- but biology doesnt sound fancy enough
    Admit it, on your UCAS PS in order to conserve characters/lines you almost definitely wrote Biology rather than Biological Sciences :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I am choosing Edinburgh BBB as my firm and Newcastle BBB as my insurance.

My other 3 offers were all AAB so I couldn't put them below a BBB as 1st choice otherwise it wouldn't make sense.

And yeah- on my PS it only got sent off when I deleted a comma. I pushed the limit.
    I also wrote that a cat pissed in my frog spawn when I was little.

ReputationRep:
    My other 3 offers were all AAB so I couldn't put them below a BBB as 1st choice otherwise it wouldn't make sense.
    Are you aware that you don't have to have an insurance option - putting somewhere because it's the only offer lower doesn't necessarily constitute a good reason for selecting a university as your insurance as if you don't get the grades for Edinburgh but are accepted by Newcastle you are contractually bound to Newcastle and will struggle to be freed for '09 entry if you decide you do not want to attend Newcastle. Only put an insurance choice down if you are happy to attend it as you are to attend your firm choice.

ReputationRep:
    As soon as my Cambridge rejection comes through, I'm going to decline all my offers and put Edinburgh down as my firm choice.

Gosh, this is so exciting.

I need to remember to ask my tutor about the forms to fill out so the IB sends my scores to UCAS, and UCAS sends them to Edinburgh...

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah yeah I would still be perfectly happy to go to Newcastle
    I would just rather go to Edinburgh.
    Newcastle was actually really good, it was going to be my first choice because I thought theres no point applying for Edinburgh cause I will get rejected.

But then I got accepted quite quickly.
    Cheers anyway for your concern lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainfaery)
    I'm coming to Edinburgh for sure next year

Has anyone else decided to make Edinburgh their firm?
    99.9% sure i am going to

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.