Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer from Edinburgh for Classical Studies in the beginning of Decemeber
    im just wondering, because they supposedly dont send out letters, how do I find out about any subject/offer specific open days? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhiannonjeffreys)
    I got an offer from Edinburgh for Classical Studies in the beginning of Decemeber
    im just wondering, because they supposedly dont send out letters, how do I find out about any subject/offer specific open days? thanks
    When did you submit your UCAS, if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhiannonjeffreys)
    It's online.

I think with regards to open day letters, it depends on your subject whether they send you one or just leave you to your own devices to find it out (as presumably if you were really keen you'd look online or send emails) as I didn't recieve a letter but other people did. I saw it on TSR that people were going to a post offer day, so had a look around online and then sent an email saying can I come too please?! To which they replied the day after the open day, but I went anyway!

They're apparently on 4th and 18th March this year for people who have offers in HSS (Humanities and Social Science) which classics is part of... you can book your place online. As I said, they may or may not send you a letter! But there will be things happening for your department regardless of whether you get a letter in the post or not. I'd book trains or whatever now if you're wanting to come to get it cheaply!

http://www.hss.ed.ac.uk/Undergraduate/PostApp/index.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattbroon)
    Name mattbroon
    Course medicine
    can you please remind me, are you still pending or do you have an offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    It's online.

I think with regards to open day letters, it depends on your subject whether they send you one or just leave you to your own devices to find it out (as presumably if you were really keen you'd look online or send emails) as I didn't recieve a letter but other people did. I saw it on TSR that people were going to a post offer day, so had a look around online and then sent an email saying can I come too please?! To which they replied the day after the open day, but I went anyway!

They're apparently on 4th and 18th March this year for people who have offers in HSS (Humanities and Social Science) which classics is part of... you can book your place online. As I said, they may or may not send you a letter! But there will be things happening for your department regardless of whether you get a letter in the post or not. I'd book trains or whatever now if you're wanting to come to get it cheaply!

http://www.hss.ed.ac.uk/Undergraduate/PostApp/index.htm
    Does this mean theyl most likley do all the offers/rejections by then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    Sorry for being nosy(!), but what sort of work experience do you do for EngLit? I'm just asking because it's not such an obviously vocational course.
    Well I've been on to two newspaper offices...so basically that's journalism But I guess it helps...? :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Closer*)
    Does this mean theyl most likley do all the offers/rejections by then?
    I would imagine that most people will have found out by then, but not everyone. The bulk of the offers seem to come through around now, through to the end of Feb time. At least, this has been the case on TSR over the last few years, plus when my friends got theirs for our application year. However, it isn't unheard of for people to be waiting much later than this, particularly for the most competitive courses.

Even if you haven't got an offer by that stage it is probably worth heading to the open day (if you can and are really wanting to go to edinburgh) as there won't be another one until April/May time for the students applying in 09.

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine that most people will have found out by then, but not everyone. The bulk of the offers seem to come through around now, through to the end of Feb time. At least, this has been the case on TSR over the last few years, plus when my friends got theirs for our application year. However, it isn't unheard of for people to be waiting much later than this, particularly for the most competitive courses.

Even if you haven't got an offer by that stage it is probably worth heading to the open day (if you can and are really wanting to go to edinburgh) as there won't be another one until April/May time for the students applying in 09.
    I went up last year and LOVED it! I'm just desperate to hear from them! lol thanks for letting me know what to expect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonshine_1991)
    When did you submit your UCAS, if you don't mind me asking?

October the...6th i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FTC199)
    can you please remind me, are you still pending or do you have an offer?
    Eh, Im treating it as an unconditional as its a conditional based on disclosure scotland check, and at least i dont think im criminal!

But im almost certainly going to accept, and im really looking forward to it!

ReputationRep:
    I got an unconditional for accounting & business studies, Edinburgh is my 1st choice so I'm over the moon

ReputationRep:
    Crap. If you get rejected it'll be for your C grade (if you have been predicted that at A2), not because you're English.

no, predicted AAB and have retaken so hopefully will improve. I thought that they always looked at Scottish applicants as higher priority?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightfireandsound)
    no, predicted AAB and have retaken so hopefully will improve. I thought that they always looked at Scottish applicants as higher priority?
    i have heard it is only when trying to decide on the last few applicants to give offers to (i.e. if there are 20 for 4 offers with identical scores, they will look at the proximity to edinburgh)

but the rumours about edinburgh being biased against english people are lies

ReputationRep:
    Thats like saying English universities look at English applications more favourably regardless of whether the university is Plymouth and the applicant is from Cumbria. Scotland is a country!

This myth about them prefering Scottish people is exactly that, a myth.
    Edinburgh does have a widening participation scheme yes, but as do pretty much every other decent university in the UK. For example, I live in the Nottingham and Sheffield 'catchment area' and therefore if I had applied, I had a guarenteed interview for courses which interviewed, and if I had recived an offer it would have been substantially lower than the one for people outside of the local area. For example, I know people who study subjects such as English or History at both universities who got CDD at AS level and were predicted CCC, yet were given BBC offers for courses which normally only accept all A grade applicants. Edinburgh is no where near as bad as that; as FTC199 said; yet everyone in England is always complaining that they favour "the Scots" as though Scotland is a village.

ReputationRep:
    Thats like saying English universities look at English applications more favourably regardless of whether the university is Plymouth and the applicant is from Cumbria. Scotland is a country!

Edinburgh is no where near as bad as that; as FTC199 said; yet everyone in England is always complaining that they favour "the Scots" as though Scotland is a village.
    I think the reason that this rumour exists is because, at the front of the prospectus, Edinburgh are very open about the fact that they choose Scottish people first in such close call situations.

Fair point about Scotland not being a village though...

ReputationRep:
    Offer for Biological Science. I'm just a bit confused because the offer is conditional (overall M, M-E in Chemistry, English and Maths) and I already have those grades. Well if overall really is an overall, I have one C in Swedish. I'm happy anyway.

Because no-one probably understands the Finnish system C=C, M=B, E=A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milliethephilosopher)
    I think the reason that this rumour exists is because, at the front of the prospectus, Edinburgh are very open about the fact that they choose Scottish people first in such close call situations.

they also stated this at the open day, and yeah obviously my post shouted out "i think Scotland is a village"?. I was only stating what i had been told by them

ReputationRep:
    Residents of Scotland have priority, as Oxymoronic explained. There's a big difference between being Scottish and being a resident of Scotland. And it doesn't even cover all of Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nearlyheadlessian)
    Residents of Scotland have priority, as Oxymoronic explained. There's a big difference between being Scottish and being a resident of Scotland. And it doesn't even cover all of Scotland.
    yeah sorry, residents in Scotland. I didn't aim to start a debate over whether Edinburgh preferred Scottish students, i just saw my chances of getting an offer as slim and was told that residents of Scotland would be given priority in close calls... which i will be if im not rejected in the first place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milliethephilosopher)

Surely that is a good thing that they're open with it though, rather than it being "under the table" like at other universities. As I said, pretty much everywhere has widening participation schemes for local students as they are pretty much forced to by the governments. I know that had there been a close call situation at Sheffield or Nottingham between me and another applicant, I would have been given the offer because I am a local student. At home, the universities are alot more discrete with their schemes because it's worse - as I said guarenteed interviews, much lower offers, first preference if you miss your offer - yet no one is complaining about that, just because they don't know about it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.