Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i applied for economics, the homepage application statistics say that in 2008, there were about 1600 applications for all the economics subjects and about 400 offers were made. I e-mailed the admissions office and asked for more statistics, and they said that there were about 15 applications for each place last year for economics subjects. that doesnt add up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andcho)
    i applied for economics, the homepage application statistics say that in 2008, there were about 1600 applications for all the economics subjects and about 400 offers were made. I e-mailed the admissions office and asked for more statistics, and they said that there were about 15 applications for each place last year for economics subjects. that doesnt add up?
    Well, they generally make a lot more offers than there are actual places, given that some people will miss their offers, and not everyone is going to put Edinburgh down as their firm choice, or even their insurance choice.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i can understand that, but still :P
    there is a BIG difference between 1:4 and 1:15 right? or is this usual haha

ReputationRep:
    Well if you assume that every applicant has made 5 applications and for simplicity's sake you say they all got 5 offers, therefore only 1/5 of those who get an offer will firm it you get 80 people accepting their offers (thus 1:20). And because we know that the assumption made is a stupid one, the figure given by the university makes perfect sense.

ReputationRep:
    Now that we have established that edinburgh are not biased against english students, can we please keep this thread to offers and applications only (you can chat here)

ReputationRep:
    The difference lies in places and offers, and their linguistic meaning. As many people have said, the university will give out many more offers than what they have places. For example, they might have 1000 applications and give out 250 offers. This is then a 1:4 ratio to offers to applicants. However, in general, they might only have 60-70 people on the course each year in terms of who out of the 250 offers they gave out accepted the place. Thus, this is the amount of people who take up the given offer to make it into a place. Then the ratio would be around 1:15 in terms of places to applicants.

However, it isn't as simple as that because they won't have a certain number of places to fill. They will just know roughly how many offers to give out, and then know roughly how many of these each year turn into people actually coming to the university and therefore having a place.

It's sort of like a school trip - the teacher will give out the information to all of the 200 pupils who are in year 9. Therefore they have all been given an offer to go on the trip. However, there is only one bus which can fit 50 people on it. Thus, the number of places on the trip is 50 but the number of offers to people; therefore the number of people who had the option of going; was 200.

ReputationRep:
    Actually Edinburgh themselves state on the website that Scottish students are preferred, see 'After You Apply' on their site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guinevere)
    Actually Edinburgh themselves state on the website that Scottish students are preferred, see 'After You Apply' on their site.
    Scottish students are not preferred. Scotland is a big place for everyone in it to be preferred. Yes there is the LEAPS (Lothian Equal Access Programme for Schools) initiative that helps with the whole "widening participation" thing but that also involves Napier, Heriot-Watt, SAC, eca and QMU. And yes there is the pathways one for potential medicine, law, vet medicine and architecture students.

But, every good university runs these widening participation schemes (if they don't, they should :p:). And being on these programmes is in no way a guarantee of an offer.

And I would definatly say that edinburgh is not anti-english, from people I know already at edinburgh the majority of students are english. From the open days they say that if 70% of students applied are english and 25% scottish.. then the yeargroup would be 70% english and 25% scottish and 5% other (this is for medicine only so don't quote me for other subjects!)

ReputationRep:
    I sent off my UCAS in early November and had heard back from all of my other Unis within 3 weeks. I just received an email from Edinburgh saying that I should expect a decision early February, after they sent me an email in December getting me to register for their own little admissions thing.

I've heard that Edinburgh aren't the most organised, but still........

ReputationRep:
    I can't really help you here, being in the same boat and everything, but according to various former applicants, it sometimes takes them up until mid-March to reply to applications for their high-demand subjects... let's hope they'll hurry.

(It's driving me ******* insane to wait for them, gnah.)

ReputationRep:
    I'm still waiting for Edinburgh too! Most annoying, I have four other offers, but I can't reply until I get Edinburgh (they might be my insurance if I get an offer, I haven't decided yet). And what is the point in their stupid admissions portal thingie, EASE and then Euclid?! It doesn't seem to do anything useful - surely track will tell me if I have an offer anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Relax. You've got until mid April to make a decision on which offer to accept. Also, it's late January, which is not too far from Early February.

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh reject a lot of people, there is a chance that you might also get rejected, but i hope not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j09)
    I sent off my UCAS in early November and had heard back from all of my other Unis within 3 weeks. I just received an email from Edinburgh saying that I should expect a decision early February, after they sent me an email in December getting me to register for their own little admissions thing.

I've heard that Edinburgh aren't the most organised, but still........

I haven't got that email saying that they're waiting till early feb. Should I be worried?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNightmareSSJ3Broly)
    Edinburgh reject a lot of people, there is a chance that you might also get rejected, but i hope not
    Yeah I know, I wouldn't mind too much if I got rejected tbh, I just want to know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Ricky-)
    I haven't got that email saying that they're waiting till early feb. Should I be worried?
    Mine was a Science and Engineering Dept. one, maybe if you're applying to a different faculty they do it differently?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezzler)
    I'm still waiting for Edinburgh too! Most annoying, I have four other offers, but I can't reply until I get Edinburgh (they might be my insurance if I get an offer, I haven't decided yet). And what is the point in their stupid admissions portal thingie, EASE and then Euclid?! It doesn't seem to do anything useful - surely track will tell me if I have an offer anyway?
    Haha, my thoughts exactly. It's bloody impossible to navigate aswell.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j09)
    Mine was a Science and Engineering Dept. one, maybe if you're applying to a different faculty they do it differently?

oh right, well mines Politics so thats the College of Humanities and Social Science. Had me worried then haha, I really want to get an offer!

ReputationRep:
    When did you all send of your UCAS. I sent mine on the 25th of November and so far I only have an acknowledgement.

ReputationRep:
    How does hearing that they're disorganised correlate to them taking awhile to reply to your application? It a well known fact, and often discussed on here, that Edinburgh take their time when replying to applicants and for some subjects do not give out any decisions at all until after the Jan deadline. This means they can literally give all applications equal consideration as they have them all, unlike other universities who make offers as they go along. That doesn't really go in line with the definition of disorganised, in my book.

At the end of the day you've only been waiting for 2 months. Some people have been waiting for double that time. You may all still be waiting for another two months or longer before you hear from them, depending on what course you have applied for and how many applications they have to go through.

In the grand scheme of things it makes no difference whether you get an offer now or in March. You will probably still have to wait until results day to find out for sure whether you're going anyway, and then wait until september to actually come here.

(Original post by moonshine1991)
    When did you all send of your UCAS. I sent mine on the 25th of November and so far I only have an acknowledgement.
    Yes, and as people have said to you time and time again that is all you'll be getting until you hear from them with regards to the decision on your application. Thank yourself lucky they actually give out acknowledgements now, when I applied the first bit of information I got from Edinburgh to say they had my application was a little thing on ucas saying 'conditional offer' four months after I had applied.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.