Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natsuko)
    I received an e-mail with a login to their website thing, which to begin with I never used but I am starting to use it more as I grow more impatient... What takes them so long??
    Hallo. Do have a look around the Edinburgh subforum, as you'll find that most of your questions are answered already elsewhere. Edinburgh make no secret of the fact that they don't make offers 3 days after receiving applications. They take a considerable amount of time and effort to look at your application in full (including a minimum of two admissions tutors reading your personal statement). If you're in a rush then I suggest that you withdraw your application to Edinburgh as their decision could come tomorrow or in April/May. However, if you think they're worth waiting for, then do. They'll give you a fair assessment.

Favouring Scots is pure myth, as you'll find if you read around the area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nearlyheadlessian)
    Hallo. Do have a look around the Edinburgh subforum, as you'll find that most of your questions are answered already elsewhere. Edinburgh make no secret of the fact that they don't make offers 3 days after receiving applications. They take a considerable amount of time and effort to look at your application in full (including a minimum of two admissions tutors reading your personal statement). If you're in a rush then I suggest that you withdraw your application to Edinburgh as their decision could come tomorrow or in April/May. However, if you think they're worth waiting for, then do. They'll give you a fair assessment.

:eek: April/May? seriously? wow......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nearlyheadlessian)

April/May??? :eek: I couldn't wait that long... but I'll give them some more time first, it would be nice to know. But the accomodation applications for SOAS start quite early, and it's first come first served so I can't wait too long otherwise I could be house hunting in London but as I said, I'll be patient for a little longer ^^
    I thought so, I couldn't see how that could be at all true. Part of me wants to get an offer from them just to prove her wrong :laughing:

ReputationRep:
    What are the chances it will have this year?

Did it have Chemistry in UCAS Extra last year?

I mean chemistry isn't the most popular course. Edinburgh always seems to have some courses in UCAS Extra. Do you think it is likely?

ReputationRep:
    http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsr...rch.run?y=2008

2008 EXTRA Listings.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about this year, but I remember almost all science courses being in Extra last year.

ReputationRep:
    Hard to predict.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruciform)
    What are the chances? I mean chemistry isn't the most popular course. Edinburgh always seems to have some courses in UCAS Extra. Do you think it is likely?
    why did you get rejected?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraheagle)
    Sarah
    History
    Waiting for reply...very impatiently! :mad: Anybody else who applied for History heard back from them yet?
    nope, sent off in early november as well.... what are your grades if you dont mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    does anybody know anybody with a rejection? I know a few with places, including myself, and I heard ages ago- but then I know about 5 who have not, and none of them have been rejected- they just havn't heard anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonano)
    does anybody know anybody with a rejection? I know a few with places, including myself, and I heard ages ago- but then I know about 5 who have not, and none of them have been rejected- they just havn't heard anything.
    Don't know anyone with rejections. What did you get an offer for, if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how hard it is for someone who has applied to do something else (in my case, Philosophy) to get into English lit as one of the three subjects? Ideally, I'd like to end up with a degree in English lit & Philosophy but I'm not sure whether that'd be possible cause English is so popular. Oh well, I need to get an ofer first, I guess *chews nails*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green_glitter)
    Does anyone know how hard it is for someone who has applied to do something else (in my case, Philosophy) to get into English lit as one of the three subjects? Ideally, I'd like to end up with a degree in English lit & Philosophy but I'm not sure whether that'd be possible cause English is so popular. Oh well, I need to get an ofer first, I guess *chews nails*
    I know people who have done it, but it is very hard because the course is always over subscribed. It is one of the most competitive courses during UCAS meaning they don't really have any spare places as such for people who want to pick it up as their outsides. Apparently they now opperate a lottery for such courses meaning if you want to do it you're put in a ballot and then the spare places are decided that way. When I was a fresher it was first come first served so this is much better! You could play your chances with Scottish Lit too if you wanted, as this is generally less over subscribed than English, and obviously still pretty much the same.

If you're certain about wanting to graduate with Eng Lit and Philosophy you could always contact the university and ask whether it would be possible for them to transfer you onto the combined course (assuming you get an offer for Philosophy) chances are they'll say no because you should apply for it in the first place but you never know and they can't take your exisiting offer back. If it came down to it and you changed your mind you'd only be commited to them for first year anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    I know people who have done it, but it is very hard because the course is always over subscribed. It is one of the most competitive courses during UCAS meaning they don't really have any spare places as such for people who want to pick it up as their outsides. Apparently they now opperate a lottery for such courses meaning if you want to do it you're put in a ballot and then the spare places are decided that way. When I was a fresher it was first come first served so this is much better! You could play your chances with Scottish Lit too if you wanted, as this is generally less over subscribed than English, and obviously still pretty much the same.

If you're certain about wanting to graduate with Eng Lit and Philosophy you could always contact the university and ask whether it would be possible for them to transfer you onto the combined course (assuming you get an offer for Philosophy) chances are they'll say no because you should apply for it in the first place but you never know and they can't take your exisiting offer back. If it came down to it and you changed your mind you'd only be commited to them for first year anyway.
    Thanks for the advice, very helpful. I'll definitely email them if I get an offer.

ReputationRep:
    I hope you go to Edinburgh next year if I am correct in thinking that you are a Wodehouse fan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraheagle)
    I haven't even had an acknowlegment email or letter :|
    Oh dear! :|
    No MyED system e-mail?

ReputationRep:
    They updated my Molecular Biology offer to a second year entry (with the same conditions ). Does anybody have an idea about the proportion of new students who begin their study from the second year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScholarsInk)
    I hope you go to Edinburgh next year if I am correct in thinking that you are a Wodehouse fan.
    I'm only in the early stages of being a fan but it can only get worse

ReputationRep:
    Anybody heard back from international relations for Edinburgh yet?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I'm still waiting too.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 12, 2009

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.