The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

In response to the above posters, I'm waiting for English Lit as well.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
oxymoronic
It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things how long you wait. You can't actually become a student until september 09 regardless of whether you get an offer in October 08 or May 09. Its not like you're missing out on recieving anything because they don't post anything out. Surely it is better that they actually look at all of the applications in relation to one and other after the Jan 15th deadline and take their time in giving offers, rather than doing it haphazardly as they go along from the minute applications come in? I know its annoying, I was well bored of waiting in 2005 when I applied, but if Edinburgh really if your first choice the day your decision comes up on track (providing it is an offer) will make it all worthwhile.

Yes I suppose so! There is one thing that's potentially worrying though... If I did get an offer in, say, April, then the applications of accommodation will have been coming in since February, so there'll just be the **** places where you have to share a bedroom and bathroom, won't there? Or is that not true...? Because not on my nelly am I sharing a bathroom.
shoop_de_lang
Yes I suppose so! There is one thing that's potentially worrying though... If I did get an offer in, say, April, then the applications of accommodation will have been coming in since February, so there'll just be the **** places where you have to share a bedroom and bathroom, won't there? Or is that not true...? Because not on my nelly am I sharing a bathroom.

I don't think that's the case, I think everyone sorts out accommodation at once. I could be wrong though.
I don't want to share a bathroom either! Or at least not have to wander down the hall to go to the toilet in the middle of the night, have communal showers and share with about 10 people! According to my mum that makes me spoilt, despite the fact that I've grown up as a middle child sharing a bathroom with two sisters. I just want to be able to have a shower or go the toilet in private whenever I want :P

What grades did you get/are you looking at getting? I'm applying for English Lit too :smile:
Closer*
I wouldnt jump to conclusions just yet, wait and see what happens. You have some amazing offers to fall back on no matter what the decision is! Good Luck

Edit: just been told someone got rejected from english on sunday night so i guess theyre dishing out answers for english now!

The same has happened to me :| *panics*
shoop_de_lang

If you read the accommodation thread I've made it will answer this question. Accommodation is not given out on first come first served basis, because of the pure fact offers come through so late. You won't be allocated a room until after results day in August and your offer is unconditional, and it doesn't matter if you fill in the form for accommodation now or in July.

I personally don't think you need your own bathroom, but thats another matter entirely... but it doesn't matter at all when you apply for accommodation as long as you meet the deadline, which is some point in August.
Reply 705
shoop_de_lang

"everyone has the same chance of being offered their first choice, regardless of when we deal with their application" - From Edinburgh Accommodation FAQ

So yeah, no rush to send out your accommodation application.
Reply 706
Fares
I have been offered a place in the LLB Graduate program

what were the conditions? and then i'll write it up
Reply 707
debrajane
Rejected :frown: :frown: :frown:

Sorry to hear that, good luck with Bristol and St Andrews
Reply 708
debrajane
Rejected :frown: :frown: :frown:

me too! twice! for the second time! It was my favourite too. I don't understand, I know people with BBB offers for my course! :frown: :confused: :mad: :frown:
Rejected. Um, Edinburgh...? I have an offer from Cambridge for the same course...
I knew that they rejected people like me quite a lot and do look for people with more than BBB, but I'm still annoyed, I really liked Edinburgh.
Plus I'm having really horrible problems with severe depression this year, there's no way I can get AAA, and now I'm just considering withdrawing my application altogether. I wanted a nice insurance choice that is still attainable :frown:
But now the lowest insurance choice I'll have is AAB...

I don't really get it. I had a good ps, really good GCSEs, pretty good ASs :frown: I'm not saying I think offers should be handed to me or anything, or that I was confident of a place, but I'm just confused as to why they reject so many of us that are pretty good applicants. I know it's oversubscribed.
Ah well. Still really upset though. Going to go to bed now before I can get any more upset about it, heh.
Bjpchilds
Rejected. Um, Edinburgh...? I have an offer from Cambridge for the same course...
I knew that they rejected people like me quite a lot and do look for people with more than BBB, but I'm still annoyed, I really liked Edinburgh.
Plus I'm having really horrible problems with severe depression this year, there's no way I can get AAA, and now I'm just considering withdrawing my application altogether. I wanted a nice insurance choice that is still attainable :frown:
But now the lowest insurance choice I'll have is AAB...

I don't really get it. I had a good ps, really good GCSEs, pretty good ASs :frown: I'm not saying I think offers should be handed to me or anything, or that I was confident of a place, but I'm just confused as to why they reject so many of us that are pretty good applicants. I know it's oversubscribed.
Ah well. Still really upset though. Going to go to bed now before I can get any more upset about it, heh.

Contact Cambridge and let them know about the problems you're having with depression now. Get any information neccesary such as details from your school, doctor, and any other medical people you see. Also contact your exam boards and let them know the situation.

From what I've read on here Cambridge are very good with regards to helping people who are having difficulties due to personal reasons to meet their offer. I think there is a special scheme you can apply to which means they'll take all of this into account on results day, look on the Cambridge forum as people there should be able to help you. Don't give up on Cambridge as they will be able to help you - they've given you an offer and they want you as their student. Some people are allowed to defer their place until the following year, for example.

Please don't withdraw your application completely due to what has happened with Edinburgh, as even if you decide not to accept the Cambridge offer (say, if you hate the place, the course isn't right etc) you will have options in extra and clearing which you would be able to take. It might seem like the end of the world right now, and it is pretty crap, but there are options available to you. It's okay to be upset about this - a lot of people are, especially if there doesn't seem to be an obvious answer as to why. You don't need to have an insurance, as there are always things available in clearing. If you pick an insurance of AAB, let this university know about the problems you're having too.

Depression is serious, and its something which affects you in a huge way, but universities are accommodating with this type of thing if you let them know about it now. Don't struggle in silence until results day, let all of the universities and exam boards involved, as well as your school know now.
oxymoronic
Contact Cambridge and let them know about the problems you're having with depression now. Get any information neccesary such as details from your school, doctor, and any other medical people you see. Also contact your exam boards and let them know the situation.

From what I've read on here Cambridge are very good with regards to helping people who are having difficulties due to personal reasons to meet their offer. I think there is a special scheme you can apply to which means they'll take all of this into account on results day, look on the Cambridge forum as people there should be able to help you. Don't give up on Cambridge as they will be able to help you - they've given you an offer and they want you as their student. Some people are allowed to defer their place until the following year, for example.

Please don't withdraw your application completely due to what has happened with Edinburgh, as even if you decide not to accept the Cambridge offer (say, if you hate the place, the course isn't right etc) you will have options in extra and clearing which you would be able to take. It might seem like the end of the world right now, and it is pretty crap, but there are options available to you. It's okay to be upset about this - a lot of people are, especially if there doesn't seem to be an obvious answer as to why. You don't need to have an insurance, as there are always things available in clearing. If you pick an insurance of AAB, let this university know about the problems you're having too.

Depression is serious, and its something which affects you in a huge way, but universities are accommodating with this type of thing if you let them know about it now. Don't struggle in silence until results day, let all of the universities and exam boards involved, as well as your school know now.

Thanks, and sorry for the rant. I just don't know what to do anymore to be honest :frown:
I want to send an email but I'm not sure who to contact and what to say...
Bjpchilds
Thanks, and sorry for the rant. I just don't know what to do anymore to be honest :frown:
I want to send an email but I'm not sure who to contact and what to say...

It's not really a rant, and it's okay...
I'll PM you to take this off the main board :smile:
Does the decision show up on Euclid at the same time as on ucas? Or does it take some time?
My decision came up at the same time on EUCLID and track. Although it went blank about 2 hours before
Hello everyone, I got an offer from Edinburgh. That means I'm part of the gang now!
Reply 716
Anyone heard lately for Law at all?
hi everyone, my application status on my EUCLID went blank about three or four hours ago and i still haven't heard anything - is this unusual? the suspense is killing me!
millymelting
hi everyone, my application status on my EUCLID went blank about three or four hours ago and i still haven't heard anything - is this unusual? the suspense is killing me!

I wouldn't worry, the exact same thing happened to me.

Basically my status went blank for about a week or so, I'd pessimistically assumed I'd been rejected. Then I woke up one morning, checked the UCAS and found out I'd has an offer from Edinburgh.

Summary: Same thing happened to me, I got an offer, so don't worry.
Guinevere
me too! twice! for the second time! It was my favourite too. I don't understand, I know people with BBB offers for my course! :frown: :confused: :mad: :frown:

I got rejected for English Lit at edinburgh today too!!! I'm so gutted. :frown: It was my first choice too, had my heart totally set on it... And I'd worked really hard, straight As and taken up extra projects and everything to boost my chances. All for nothing! How annoying. York Uni here I come then... sighhh.

Latest

Trending

Trending