Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I think my UCAS updated about 20 minutes before my MyEd, but the time difference was so small that it didn't really make any difference.

ReputationRep:
    For me the application status on MyEd went blank and a new link called 'My Fee Details' appeared. The actual offer appeared on track, followed by MyEd (a couple of hours later). The application status thing was a tip-off though.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, guys! Thanks a lot for clearing it up. Somehow I thought that MyEd would update before UCAS does.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think edinburugh university is ever going to get back to me *huff*

ReputationRep:
    what's myed?

ReputationRep:
    MyEd is like the internal communication system at Edinburgh (correct me if I'm wrong). besides on UCAS, you can follow your application there as well.

ReputationRep:
    Ack, I had a nightmare last night about not meeting my offer.

Anyone else having the same kind of thing happen?

ReputationRep:
    Well, for me, my application status went blank, and I got the 'My Fee Details' thing, or whatever.

Then, when the actual offer came through, I got an email from MyEd first, but when I went straight to UCAS and logged on, it was there. So I'm not entirely sure, it may just be that UCAS had updated before, but it wasn't in time send out an email.

ReputationRep:
    My offer conditions say BBB excluding General Studies. The thing is, I'm not studying GS. Anyone else got this? Should I give them a ring about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonshine_1991)
    I got a conditional for the same course a few weeks ago. Is it your first choice?
    cool, i haven't heard of many others who have applied for this. What are your conditions?
    i really dunno...i'm torn between glasgow and edinburgh, basically whether i want to move or stay at home. So yea, can't decide. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kammy-)
    My offer conditions say BBB excluding General Studies. The thing is, I'm not studying GS. Anyone else got this? Should I give them a ring about it?
    yeah I got it, but i'm thinking it's pretty general. It doesn't make any difference really i don't think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kid-chino)
    cool, i haven't heard of many others who have applied for this. What are your conditions?
    i really dunno...i'm torn between glasgow and edinburgh, basically whether i want to move or stay at home. So yea, can't decide. How about you?
    As a staunch defender against the TSR opinion, of Glasgow, you'd expect me to tell you to stay in Glasgow here, but I wont. I think its a fantastic University, it certainly didn't stop Oxford and Durham making me offers for postgrad in double quick time, and I actually rejected Edinburgh in favour of Glasgow when I first came to University. Academically, theres nowt between them, the RAE had Glasgow ahead in 22 and Edinburgh ahead in 26 subject areas, entry standards are a couple of points apart out of 440, teaching standards were both in the UKs top 10, one gives out a bit more firsts/2:1s, the other does a bit better on student satisfaction.

However, I picked Glasgow because I wanted to count the pennies and stay at home, and my University experience in first year was nothing compared to the time I had once I moved into the West End. I wouldn't advise, if money is not a massive consideration, staying at home for University. If you were only 15 mins down the road for Glasgow, then there is no point moving out to go there, so I'd advise Edinburgh wholeheartedly- there ain't any bias here. I think by moving out you will have a better University experience, and while I think both are fantastic cities, you'll have the time of your life being in a student atmopshere, which given the logistics of your situation, means I'd recommend Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    I applied in January and got my replies from Edinburgh late last night. I applied for History and also for Social Policy & Social History and got both places at the same time

ReputationRep:
    I got my place last night... I just have a question for anyone who knows.

I got a place for Social Policy & Social & Economic History and also a place for History. Does anyone know of the course content for the joint degree option? The edinburgh website isn't too helpful in telling me what I'm going to study if I choose the joint degree and I'm guessing I won't have much choice in the units.

ReputationRep:
    I got my offer though on MyEd very late last night and then on UCAS by this morning.. it was a couple hours difference tops

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnofjake)
    I got a place for Social Policy & Social & Economic History and also a place for History. Does anyone know of the course content for the joint degree option? The edinburgh website isn't too helpful in telling me what I'm going to study if I choose the joint degree and I'm guessing I won't have much choice in the units.
    You'll have almost no choice at all - by choosing the joint honours you have your first year of modules prescribed to you. Here is the outline of your course. You'll have to take everything described in NYT 1 (where there is one choice to make) which will be worth 80 credits over the year. As you can see on that page, you'll need a further 40 credits for the year. You may choose anything that is at first year level (ie, NYT 1) from this list, although your timetable obviously can't clash and you have to pre qualify for any course you want to take, but that ought not to be a problem. So, you could for the sake of argument take British History 1 as your extra 40 credits. With regard to your History application, here is the description of what you're required to do in first year. Again you have 40 credits worth of free choice. Remember that in both cases, you don't necessarily have to use the 40 credits in one go. You could instead take two 20 credit courses if that suited you better.

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant, I'll have a look over it, thanks

ReputationRep:
    I have to get a B in higher geography this year. I had to choose between Edinburgh and Aberdeen but am choosing Edinburgh. Basically because I live there, know the city well and it is the best uni for law. Are you hoping to qualify as a solicitor after the degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0404343m)
    As a staunch defender against the TSR opinion, of Glasgow, you'd expect me to tell you to stay in Glasgow here, but I wont. I think its a fantastic University, it certainly didn't stop Oxford and Durham making me offers for postgrad in double quick time, and I actually rejected Edinburgh in favour of Glasgow when I first came to University. Academically, theres nowt between them, the RAE had Glasgow ahead in 22 and Edinburgh ahead in 26 subject areas, entry standards are a couple of points apart out of 440, teaching standards were both in the UKs top 10, one gives out a bit more firsts/2:1s, the other does a bit better on student satisfaction.

However, I picked Glasgow because I wanted to count the pennies and stay at home, and my University experience in first year was nothing compared to the time I had once I moved into the West End. I wouldn't advise, if money is not a massive consideration, staying at home for University. If you were only 15 mins down the road for Glasgow, then there is no point moving out to go there, so I'd advise Edinburgh wholeheartedly- there ain't any bias here. I think by moving out you will have a better University experience, and while I think both are fantastic cities, you'll have the time of your life being in a student atmopshere, which given the logistics of your situation, means I'd recommend Edinburgh.
    thanks for the advice, i'm definitely leaning towards Edinburgh for the reasons you've mentioned. The only thing is i think i prefer the campus at Glasgow and the area around it. Ideally i'd move out and go to Glasgow, but obviously this would be pointless. Although to be fair i havent visited edinburgh yet except briefly last year so it might be that i really like it there too. ahhhh decisions, decisions...! thanks anyway

(Original post by moonshine_1991)
    I have to get a B in higher geography this year. I had to choose between Edinburgh and Aberdeen but am choosing Edinburgh. Basically because I live there, know the city well and it is the best uni for law. Are you hoping to qualify as a solicitor after the degree?
    So you'd be staying at home next year then? You okay with the social aspect of living at home, i mean do you think you'll be able to be a part of it all just the same? this is what i'm unsure of about glasgow...
    Actually, atm i don't really want to go into the legal profession, which is partly why i wanted to do history too. Obviously this might change once i start and stuff but yea, i really don't know what i want to do right now haha how about you?
    and btw do you know what we study for the history part, and how much we do compared to law?

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the advice, i'm definitely leaning towards Edinburgh for the reasons you've mentioned. The only thing is i think i prefer the campus at Glasgow and the area around it. Ideally i'd move out and go to Glasgow, but obviously this would be pointless. Although to be fair i havent visited edinburgh yet except briefly last year so it might be that i really like it there too. ahhhh decisions, decisions...! thanks anyway

So you'd be staying at home next year then? You okay with the social aspect of living at home, i mean do you think you'll be able to be a part of it all just the same? this is what i'm unsure of about glasgow...
    Actually, atm i don't really want to go into the legal profession, which is partly why i wanted to do history too. Obviously this might change once i start and stuff but yea, i really don't know what i want to do right now haha how about you?
    and btw do you know what we study for the history part, and how much we do compared to law?
    I will apply for uni accommodation but if I don't get it I won't really be too fussed and I suppose I would try extra hard to meet new people.
    I do want to go into the legal profession but am a bit pissed that I will have to do extra courses to get onto the LPC because I will be doing joint honours.
    I think it is 50/50 as the course is law and history and not law with history. I will probs see you in September if you decide to go to Edinburgh. Are you going to the open day on the 18th?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.