Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This DRPS thing is really confusing me....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonshine_1991)
    I will apply for uni accommodation but if I don't get it I won't really be too fussed and I suppose I would try extra hard to meet new people.
    I do want to go into the legal profession but am a bit pissed that I will have to do extra courses to get onto the LPC because I will be doing joint honours.
    I think it is 50/50 as the course is law and history and not law with history. I will probs see you in September if you decide to go to Edinburgh. Are you going to the open day on the 18th?
    i suppose if you make the effort, it really wouldn't be so hard to meet people etc, but at the same time i would like a change and independence and all that jazz....arghhh excuse me while i have a little argument to myself :L

yea that worries me too, if i decide that i do want to go into law down the line, but i also really want to do history so ya can't have it all
    ahh i thought it was more law, but thats quite good then actually, im happy with 50/50
    yupp i guess so, i wonder how many people will be doin law/history, roll on september !
    only got the offer last night so i've not booked it yet but yea i will most likely be goin, you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kid-chino)
    i suppose if you make the effort, it really wouldn't be so hard to meet people etc, but at the same time i would like a change and independence and all that jazz....arghhh excuse me while i have a little argument to myself :L

yea that worries me too, if i decide that i do want to go into law down the line, but i also really want to do history so ya can't have it all
    ahh i thought it was more law, but thats quite good then actually, im happy with 50/50
    yupp i guess so, i wonder how many people will be doin law/history, roll on september !
    only got the offer last night so i've not booked it yet but yea i will most likely be goin, you?
    I will be going, well I hope so, if not I will be doing history way up in Aberdeen. The number who received offers for the course in 2007 was 19 out of 96 applications and only 6 of those who received unconditionals firmed it. Here is a link
    http://www.sra.ed.ac.uk/admissions/S...gramme2007.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kjc_us)
    This DRPS thing is really confusing me....
    What's confusing about it?

ReputationRep:
    I think it is 50/50 as the course is law and history and not law with history.
    It's 2/3 law, 1/3 history. Here's the outline of your course and module choices. But that's not hugely surprising if you're going to be accredited at the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artorscience?)
    It's 2/3 law, 1/3 history. Here's the outline of your course and module choices. But that's not hugely surprising if you're going to be accredited at the end.
    My bad. Do you know what the extra courses required to do the LPC are. I am stressing atm as I really want to qualify as a solicitor and am worried I should have just gone for plain law.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know what the extra courses required to do the LPC are.
    If you read the introduction on this page, it lays it out quite clearly (I think, although not doing Law I might be reading it wrong). But the last paragraph is particularly clear in laying out that you have to take an outside course in first year if you were on straight Law (as you can see here, you'd have 40 credits left over for outside subjects so could take History anyway), and that it's the choices that you make after first year that are important. I hope that stops you from worrying too much. (And if I'm misinterpreting, you can email someone in the department to ask, or ask at an open day, etc.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artorscience?)
    If you read the introduction on this page, it lays it out quite clearly (I think, although not doing Law I might be reading it wrong). But the last paragraph is particularly clear in laying out that you have to take an outside course in first year if you were on straight Law (as you can see here, you'd have 40 credits left over for outside subjects so could take History anyway), and that it's the choices that you make after first year that are important. I hope that stops you from worrying too much. (And if I'm misinterpreting, you can email someone in the department to ask, or ask at an open day, etc.)
    Cheers I will give that a read and e-mail them tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer friday. They re asking me as much as LSE in my exams though, I thought it would be less.

ReputationRep:
    if anyone knows....how useful are the admission statistics, i.e. do they remain about the same?

for example, philosophy and theology. 136 applied and 115 got in last year, will it be about the same or could it alter dramatically?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lia_s)
    if anyone knows....how useful are the admission statistics, i.e. do they remain about the same?

for example, philosophy and theology. 136 applied and 115 got in last year, will it be about the same or could it alter dramatically?
    If its anything like Glasgow, it can vary hugely. We, like Edinburgh, gave out BBB offers in the arts faculty a few years back, as I've worked in clearing (only the engineering and science faculties participate now), then it jumped to AAB, now its around ABB. Edinburgh, to their credit, have remained constant. Courses can move rapidly in the space of a few years, Psychology was a massive fad around 2000, and applicants nearly tripled, and the grades went up accordingly. Computer Science has halved in the same period. Philosophy and Theology are old, established degrees, so you'd think they wouldn't change too much, but all it takes is another 20 applicants with AAA grades and all of a sudden, it becomes much tougher to get an offer.

ReputationRep:
    Rejection - International Business + Language
    Predicted AAAA and they ask for BBB!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nearlyheadlessian)
    What's confusing about it?

I don't get which ones are optional, which ones are compulsory, how many we're supposed to choose...... am I just being really dumb? lol.

ReputationRep:
    I've put Edinburgh down as my firm and rejected my other universities! :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    am I just being really dumb? lol.
    A bit :p:

I'll try to explain. You're doing Joint Honours French and German, so you want to take a look at 'Modern European Languages MA'. To ensure you do enough in first year, you need 120 credits. As you can see, it tells you that you need to do 40 in one language, 40 in a second and that you have 40 remaining. If you follow the link to category 'G' and then select French, it offers you a list of available French courses. As the previous page stipulated you had to take a language course at 1, 1A or 1B level - that's what you pick. So in this case the one for you is French 1B (as I assume you already speak French). If you select that course it gives you all the information for this years course (which will be similar next year). There are no module choices in first year, so you don't have to worry about that. You repeat the same for German. In both languages you'll be doing 1B (I assume you're pre qualified of course, if you're not in one then you'll be doing the 1A option).

With regard to your outside course, return to the first page I linked and follow the A to Q link. You can pick your outside course from anything there (although obviously your timetable mustn't clash and you have to be qualified to do the course. So, basically any first year course is fine. Lets say you want to pick British History 1 as your outside course. That's the full 40 credits gone. Simply go down the page to the 'School of History...' section, select 'History' and click on 'British History 1'. But if you want to split your outside course in half and take two sets of 20 credits you could instead go to the school of literatures, lang and culture. Select it, then select 'Celtic'. Introduction to Gaelic Language and Culture is 20 credits. Now you'll need to find another 20 - so how about Canadian Studies 1B (outside of languages, the letter after the number denotes the semester, B refers to semester 2). Go to the School of Social and Political Science and select 'Canadian Studies' - then select Canadian Studies 1B. You've got all the information, all the times, all the contact details.

Obviously you don't have to do the subjects I've suggested, but it's a good way to start. If you want to compare potential classes on a timetable, then use TimeTab(obviously may change for next year). To find out more about courses take a look at the student written course reviewer here. Hope this mini tutorial helps.

ReputationRep:
    I cannot stand waiting any longer.

Has anyone rang them to ask what sort of time they'll be letting people know by?

Would this do any good at all, or should I just save my breath?

ReputationRep:
    Just sent off my certificates and my accomodation info.
    Kincaid's, Darrochs and Hermit's Croft ( I like the name)

I think the accomodation information is abysmal, it is a good job I am not fussy.
    One of the pictures was just a bike chained up to a gate!
    I mean come on! I'm sure they could have done more!

But anyway, I'm BBB away from going to Edinburgh woo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nearlyheadlessian)
    A bit :p:

I'll try to explain. You're doing Joint Honours French and German, so you want to take a look at 'Modern European Languages MA'. To ensure you do enough in first year, you need 120 credits. As you can see, it tells you that you need to do 40 in one language, 40 in a second and that you have 40 remaining. If you follow the link to category 'G' and then select French, it offers you a list of available French courses. As the previous page stipulated you had to take a language course at 1, 1A or 1B level - that's what you pick. So in this case the one for you is French 1B (as I assume you already speak French). If you select that course it gives you all the information for this years course (which will be similar next year). There are no module choices in first year, so you don't have to worry about that. You repeat the same for German. In both languages you'll be doing 1B (I assume you're pre qualified of course, if you're not in one then you'll be doing the 1A option).

With regard to your outside course, return to the first page I linked and follow the A to Q link. You can pick your outside course from anything there (although obviously your timetable mustn't clash and you have to be qualified to do the course. So, basically any first year course is fine. Lets say you want to pick British History 1 as your outside course. That's the full 40 credits gone. Simply go down the page to the 'School of History...' section, select 'History' and click on 'British History 1'. But if you want to split your outside course in half and take two sets of 20 credits you could instead go to the school of literatures, lang and culture. Select it, then select 'Celtic'. Introduction to Gaelic Language and Culture is 20 credits. Now you'll need to find another 20 - so how about Canadian Studies 1B (outside of languages, the letter after the number denotes the semester, B refers to semester 2). Go to the School of Social and Political Science and select 'Canadian Studies' - then select Canadian Studies 1B. You've got all the information, all the times, all the contact details.

Obviously you don't have to do the subjects I've suggested, but it's a good way to start. If you want to compare potential classes on a timetable, then use TimeTab(obviously may change for next year). To find out more about courses take a look at the student written course reviewer here. Hope this mini tutorial helps.

Rep for you! :yep: Very helpful, thanks so much I get it (a bit at least, lol) now! And that TimeTab thing is very cool too! So basically, as far as my first year goes, I don't get a choice of modules for French and German because I have to choose French/German 1B which = all the language, literature, history anyway? And there's no choosing within that? I don't mind, it'll probably be good for me to be given a bit of everything in my first year so I can figure out what I'm really interesting in for when I start making options later on at uni.

Also, does SCQF Level 8 = first year? Then Level 9 = second year and so on?

So my first year could look like this, basically....

French 1B
    German 1B
    Italian 1

?

(Is there anyone here who does 3 languages? Would it be possible or too much work? I really want to learn some Italian! )

Alternatively, if another language was going to be too much, I might look at doing something like the "Introduction to the EU" course, which looks really interesting. (Don't really know why I'm sharing this with you, lol - any excuse to avoid Latin revision I guess :tongue:).

Oooh I'm really excited!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanyon)
    Hermit's Croft ( I like the name)
    :rofl: Aside from it's cool name, I've heard it's really nice accommodation, lol.

(Original post by Stanyon)
    I think the accomodation information is abysmal, it is a good job I am not fussy.
    One of the pictures was just a bike chained up to a gate!
    I mean come on! I'm sure they could have done more!
    ^ Agreed, they don't go into any detail at all! Very UNhelpful. I'm just waiting until after the open day until I apply for accommodation.

Am I right in saying Edinburgh don't operate on a first-come-first-served basis? I seem to remember reading it somewhere on their site but can't remember. I guess if they deal with accommodation applications anything like they dealt with UCAS applications they'll do it all very fairly!

ReputationRep:
    So basically, as far as my first year goes, I don't get a choice of modules for French and German because I have to choose French/German 1B which = all the language, literature, history anyway? And there's no choosing within that? I don't mind, it'll probably be good for me to be given a bit of everything in my first year so I can figure out what I'm really interesting in for when I start making options later on at uni.
    All first language courses are more or less the same. I did German 1B and it's just as you describe. A nice mishmash of everything. As I remember, we covered the German national anthem (and within some history and german identity stuff), two novels, a play and a film. There were two lectures a week which were on these things. There was also a tutorial each week in which you followed up on these lectures. There was a language tutorial each week (where you met in groups of 8 or 9 with the language assistant and did spoken and language work). Then there was a weekly language/grammar/technicalities lecture and a seminar to follow (about 20 or so people doing techie grammar stuff). So plenty of variation within the one course.

You get a few choices during second year (if you followed my instructions it should give you a list of what you're expected to do in second year on top of German Language 2 and German Literature 2), which aren't too bad.

Also, does SCQF Level 8 = first year? Then Level 9 = second year and so on?

So my first year could look like this, basically....

French 1B
    German 1B
    Italian 1
    I'm not entirely sure how the SCQF levels work, although that's roughly right. You certainly could do those three subjects in first year (providing your timetable doesn't clash).

(Is there anyone here who does 3 languages? Would it be possible or too much work? I really want to learn some Italian! )

Alternatively, if another language was going to be too much, I might look at doing something like the "Introduction to the EU" course, which looks really interesting. (Don't really know why I'm sharing this with you, lol - any excuse to avoid Latin revision I guess :tongue:).
    I know people who did three languages in first year, it's a little bit of a stretch. I would advise taking a third subject which isn't a language, simply to get a bit of variation (first year language teaching can be very 'samey' across the board and get dull), and it'll ensure that if you disagree with a language at Edinburgh you're not stuck with it - you'll have done other things which you can switch to or at least have experience essay writing for other departments etc. Things like Introduction to the EU, British History, Canadian Studies, Politics and so on are good courses to do as an outside - they'll give you some general humanities skills without being too challenging and it broadens your horizons.

I'm only answering this post now because I have an essay due at 4pm which isn't finished yet and I don't want to do it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.