Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My status has gone blank but no fee details - argghhhhhhh.

ReputationRep:
    still nothing. seems like everybody (at least on this thread :P) has already got their replies. will they eventually hurry up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kjc_us)
    :rofl: Aside from it's cool name, I've heard it's really nice accommodation, lol.

^ Agreed, they don't go into any detail at all! Very UNhelpful. I'm just waiting until after the open day until I apply for accommodation.

Am I right in saying Edinburgh don't operate on a first-come-first-served basis? I seem to remember reading it somewhere on their site but can't remember. I guess if they deal with accommodation applications anything like they dealt with UCAS applications they'll do it all very fairly!
    It isn't on a first come first served basis because not all the people applying for accomodation will be going to the uni- poor grades, only insurance choice etc
    So they will start allocating on results day.
    But yeah, the place with a bike chained up to a gate looked really nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Digsy333)
    still nothing. seems like everybody (at least on this thread :P) has already got their replies. will they eventually hurry up!
    Im still waiting too, its getting a little ridiculous now.

ReputationRep:
    Me too. I'm totally braced for my rejection, I just wish it would come through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanyon)
    It isn't on a first come first served basis because not all the people applying for accomodation will be going to the uni- poor grades, only insurance choice etc
    So they will start allocating on results day.
    But yeah, the place with a bike chained up to a gate looked really nice.

Haha, oh yeah, didn't think of that one. Duuh. :rolleyes: When's the accommodation application deadline by the way?

At least if you live at a gate you won't have to worry about losing your keys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kjc_us)
    When's the accommodation application deadline by the way?
    August 16th

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artorscience?)
    August 16th

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nearlyheadlessian)
    As I remember, we covered the German national anthem (and within some history and german identity stuff), two novels, a play and a film.
    Is that all for the year?! Cool, not nearly as heavy as I thought it'd be - as long as I have enough time to give my language a lot of focus too I'm happy. (Especially for German where my spoken skills suck..) Are the classes taught in the target language or in English?

I know people who did three languages in first year, it's a little bit of a stretch. I would advise taking a third subject which isn't a language, simply to get a bit of variation (first year language teaching can be very 'samey' across the board and get dull), and it'll ensure that if you disagree with a language at Edinburgh you're not stuck with it - you'll have done other things which you can switch to or at least have experience essay writing for other departments etc. Things like Introduction to the EU, British History, Canadian Studies, Politics and so on are good courses to do as an outside - they'll give you some general humanities skills without being too challenging and it broadens your horizons.
    Bummer, I was really excited at the prospect of taking up Italian! I know I still could, but I went on that course review site you mentioned and apparently a) the workload is insane and b) even for beginners they get you going on loads of literature, etc! I just want to learn the language first! The EU Intro course, on the other hand, got a good review and apparently not too intense, either. Does it matter that I'm slightly economically retarded?! I'm way more interested in politics and me and and anything eco-related have never really got on too well. I never understand all that financial crap in the papers...... Or maybe I could just do European History, I loved that at GCSE. I suppose I can learn Italian whenever, I won't get the chance for things like this again!

My possibilities are endlesssssss............... :cool:

I'm so so so excited.

I'm only answering this post now because I have an essay due at 4pm which isn't finished yet and I don't want to do it
    :hugs: Did you get it done in the end? I've just been sitting through 2 hours of prep staring at the wall... I really shouldn't be complaining of too much work when I really don't help myself... :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Rejected with AAA pred and AS, and all special criteria filled, i.e wider locality. GAYNESSSSSSS

ReputationRep:
    my dad is friends with a lecturer at edinburgh and she was shocked that i hadn't heard yet and suggested i email them. does this seem like a good idea, or is it too persistant? personally i think i should wait another week, the offers/rejections seem to be flooding through now.

ReputationRep:
    was wondering about the same thing whether to email them or not, but also ended up thinking it could come out as too persistant
    and then again, waiting for a reply to the email.......

can't really call them either (living abroad) so if anyone has any news on a possible "deadline" please let us know here!

ReputationRep:
    Aww I hope you'll all get your decisions (hopefully offers) soon!

Oh and regarding emails, does anyone know how long they usually take to respond? I emailed them with a few questions regarding my offer/course ( on the 27th and haven't heard back yet...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will274)
    Rejected with AAA pred and AS, and all special criteria filled, i.e wider locality. GAYNESSSSSSS
    Same here, I have at AS AAAA and rejected!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Digsy333)
    any news on a possible "deadline" please let us know here!
    The only real deadline is UCAS's cut off date of the 8th May after which all unanswered applications become rejections, see the UCAS FAQ page and the useful dates.

(Original post by lia_s)
    my dad is friends with a lecturer at Edinburgh and she was shocked that I hadn't heard yet and suggested I email them. does this seem like a good idea, or is it too persistent? personally I think I should wait another week, the offers/rejections seem to be flooding through now.
    Lecturers have very little to do with the application process and are often wrapped up in their own world with very little real knowledge of what's happening in the rest of the university, so knowing whether or not applications should have been dealt with is not going to be their strong point.

You can send an e-mail if you like, it will probably go unanswered for a week or two and then get a fairly meaningless response telling you that you should hear from them soon, it won't make your application appear at the top of the pile and it won't count against you. If it makes you feel better, do it.

ReputationRep:
    Lecturers have very little to do with the application process and are often wrapped up in their own world with very little real knowledge of what's happening in the rest of the university, so knowing whether or not applications should have been dealt with is not going to be their strong point.
    sorry maybe she wasn't a lecturer then. I don't know, I just know she works there and I assumed thats what she did. Anyway I was only going to email them because she said that last year there was a problem with admissions and that I should email in. I probably won't though, I don't want to be too persistant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lia_s)
    I probably won't though, I don't want to be too persistent.
    I've never heard of this problem... but that shouldn't stop you from emailing - you're not going to be seen as persistent unless you email admissions often enough for them to recognise you, one enquiry isn't going to do that. If you think that you will feel better for having asked the question, ask it.

ReputationRep:
    I emailed, and got this reply (within a day!!!)

Thank you for your email. Decision are being made on a daily bases at themoment and we hope to have all offers made by mid March. Please keepchecking your EUCLID for any updates or offers. Best Wishes

So, I guess this is pretty much the standard reply, if it makes anyone feel better.

ReputationRep:
    mid March? a week(ish) more then!

at least some information!

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    finally got their decision today...
    rejected for international business with a language...
    have German abitur with AAA... pretty disappointing as my further qalities surely arent bad either... but well... life goes on guys... :rolleyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.