Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone from Athens! I just have an offer for MSc in Signal Processing and Communications at Edinburgh! Can anyone tell me his/her experences of this course? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Rejected today as well for straight Law. Not too disappointed, time to get the grades for Warwick!

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer today for an MA in Classics 6 months on i emailed them a week or so ago and got the same response as others, "mid-march" so i was quite relieved to get an offer so soon after

ReputationRep:
    Woho! Passed my TOEFL test! Score 110 of 120 , Edinburgh requirement was 92.. So happy! Nothing can stop me now! :woo:

Hmm, time to firm Edinburgh and start sending in the scores.

Can anyone tell me approximately how long it takes for the Uni to review your proof of qualifications and give you an unconditional (assuming the scores are satisfactory)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nelien)
    Woho! Passed my TOEFL test! Score 110 of 120 , Edinburgh requirement was 92..
    Bra gjort!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nelien)
    Woho! Passed my TOEFL test! Score 110 of 120 , Edinburgh requirement was 92.. So happy! Nothing can stop me now! :woo:

Hmm, time to firm Edinburgh and start sending in the scores.

Can anyone tell me approximately how long it takes for the Uni to review your proof of qualifications and give you an unconditional (assuming the scores are satisfactory)?
    Congratulations

ReputationRep:
    I *think* I have an offer for MA German... my status has gone blank and the fee details have appeared. I went a little mental when I saw it, but it's not definite, so I can't be too happy just in case...

ReputationRep:
    All this waiting thing is just killing me. I've applied to 4 different subjects at the Edi Un (I know - it's weird and not quite practical) and I'm still waiting for a reply... What really bothers me,though, is the TOEFL matter. I've got 105 points when 92 are required but only 22 at one of the sections. Whether this 1 point be of great problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flammea)
    All this waiting thing is just killing me. I've applied to 4 different subjects at the Edi Un (I know - it's weird and not quite practical) and I'm still waiting for a reply... What really bothers me,though, is the TOEFL matter. I've got 105 points when 92 are required but only 22 at one of the sections. Whether this 1 point be of great problem?
    Ah, I hate those silly "block" requirements.. I was prepared that if I got 1 point less in one of the blocks but above 92 I would contact the Uni and check with them what they thought I should do. In all honestly I think they should understand that you don't want to spend £150 for a new test when overall you surpass the requirements.

In other words I would contact the Uni if I were you, hopefully they'll accept your score.

Btw, may I ask in which of the four sections you got 22?

ReputationRep:
    Are my writing skills that bad that you can't decide which one it is :redface: It's the speaking part...I paniced too much and I believe my strong Balkan accent just made things worse.
    I actually e-mailed the Uni asking just the same thing and i got a quick reply saying it's absolutely and unconditionally impossible to be accepted with such results.The truth is they just said "no" but it sounded the other way... The thing is I haven't received any reply to my UCAS application - not even a rejection. That is why I'm still growing my weak hopes it may be not so crucial...and that's way I've decided to ask

ReputationRep:
    Turns it it is an offer! Came through officially today. They emailed me telling me that I had been sent a message on Euclid, but it's been down for the weekend so I couldn't check it! (Why they didn't just email me directly, I do not know...)

But it then came up on UCAS a little while later so I found out it was an offer!

So excited! I really didn't believe I would get an offer - so many peopel with amazing grades have been unsucessful, whereas I appleid with only the minimum grades (34). Hmm, now it's just a case of actually achieving it, which I don't think I will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afua12)
    Turns it it is an offer! Came through officially today. They emailed me telling me that I had been sent a message on Euclid, but it's been down for the weekend so I couldn't check it! (Why they didn't just email me directly, I do not know...)

But it then came up on UCAS a little while later so I found out it was an offer!

So excited! I really didn't believe I would get an offer - so many peopel with amazing grades have been unsucessful, whereas I appleid with only the minimum grades (34). Hmm, now it's just a case of actually achieving it, which I don't think I will
    well done!! i got an offer for 34 too on thursday. I'm sure you'll get the points. was it 5,5,5 higher level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flammea)
    Are my writing skills that bad that you can't decide which one it is :redface: It's the speaking part...I paniced too much and I believe my strong Balkan accent just made things worse.
    I actually e-mailed the Uni asking just the same thing and i got a quick reply saying it's absolutely and unconditionally impossible to be accepted with such results.The truth is they just said "no" but it sounded the other way... The thing is I haven't received any reply to my UCAS application - not even a rejection. That is why I'm still growing my weak hopes it may be not so crucial...and that's way I've decided to ask
    That sucks.. I suppose they simply reject all those requests to make it simple and not have to go through every individual close-to-conditional queries.

I guessed it was the spoken part, it was the one I got the lowest score too. It's pretty obvious since it's the one you usually practice the least when not living in an english-speaking country. Also, with 20+ people speaking at the same time as it was in my case it wasn't easy to focus on your task...

But did you send the scores to the University already? If you did I'm sure you can still do the test again and re-send the scores if you got higher. What I did was actually to not request TOEFL to send my scores to the Uni. I just waited for the scores and THEN told TOEFL to send them. It costs £1.5 or so extra but I felt I rather knew what scores I would sent to Uni before TOEFL did it for me.

So, don't give up and give the test another go!

I don't have much to recommend on the speaking part since I only got 2 points more than you, but my suggestion is that you rather speak less than too much you are not entirely sure about, I got higher grades on the sections I stopped speaking 5-10 seconds early than the ones I blabbered about to fill the time. Also, on the preparation time you get I started by writing down keywords but noticed I never read them when I was speaking anyway so in the last question I used the time to pretend I was answering the question out loud and then just repeated what I said when time started. At least it felt better doing it that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr oizo.)
    well done!! i got an offer for 34 too on thursday. I'm sure you'll get the points. was it 5,5,5 higher level?
    thank you! and congrats to you too! What subject did you apply for?
    Yep, 555 which shouldn't be a problem (hopefully...) but 34's really pushing it. I'm trying to look at which subjects I could squeeze an extra point or two out of, but I don't think I can My predictions were a little optimistic, which is quite silly really as I only pushed them up so that I could have a chance of being looked at by Edinburgh... oh dear!

ReputationRep:
    Yep, 555 which shouldn't be a problem at all (hopefully...) but 34's really pushing it. I'm trying to look at which subjects I could squeeze an extra point or two out of, but I don't think I can My predictions were a little optimistic, which is quite silly really as I only pushed them up so that I could have a chance of being looked at by Edinburgh... oh dear!
    Well, think of it this way, at least you got an offer from Edinburgh by pushing your predictions that far which is better than no offer at all, no matter how small the chances are you reach those grades. Adn with that offer it's at least an incentive to reach those grades greater than any .

ReputationRep:
    Yep, 555 which shouldn't be a problem (hopefully...) but 34's really pushing it. I'm trying to look at which subjects I could squeeze an extra point or two out of, but I don't think I can My predictions were a little optimistic, which is quite silly really as I only pushed them up so that I could have a chance of being looked at by Edinburgh... oh dear!
    im doing classics but at edinburgh i'd probably do art, spanish and latin hehe ( i love that you dont have to do the subjects you applied for the first two years and even after that if you want) i'm sure you can get the standard levels up a bit. They're far less work to move up a point than the highers, i mean it's only 555,666 if you think about it or even 655, 566 and i agree with Nelien, just work as hard as you can for the next few weeks and hopefully you'll see a 45 on results day i pushed my predictions from 36 to 37 so that i could apply to durham without worrying that i was just on minimum grades and still i haven't heard from them lol

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's definitely going to be a good incentive! I'm going to need to bump it up around 3/4 or so points which, who knows, may be possible, but I have a horrible feeling I'll be able to improve a little, but not quite enough, and be this close. Gah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr oizo.)
    im doing classics but at edinburgh i'd probably do art, spanish and latin hehe ( i love that you dont have to do the subjects you applied for the first two years and even after that if you want) i'm sure you can get the standard levels up a bit. They're far less work to move up a point than the highers, i mean it's only 555,666 if you think about it or even 655, 566 and i agree with Nelien, just work as hard as you can for the next few weeks and hopefully you'll see a 45 on results day i pushed my predictions from 36 to 37 so that i could apply to durham without worrying that i was just on minimum grades and still i haven't heard from them lol
    Yes, I love that too! I'm definitely going to be taking German and Chinese
    (if possible) but I like that if for whatever reason I can pick something else up.

Hmm, it's actually the SLs that are causing such a hassle. My English is pretty weak and I'm not going to be able to get any more than a 5, and biology is just a complete disaster zone. I got a 1 in the mocks which is erm, pretty shameful. You have to be pretty special to be getting a 1 in a SL subject! So that's not going to be any more than 3, maybe a 4 if I'm incredibly lucky. And there were issues with my EE which meant that I ended up having to re-write a new one in around 3 weeks, so bonus points are out the window.

Hehe, this whole IB kerfuffle is really quite a headache!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, it's actually the SLs that are causing such a hassle. My English is pretty weak and I'm not going to be able to get any more than a 5, and biology is just a complete disaster zone. I got a 1 in the mocks which is erm, pretty shameful. You have to be pretty special to be getting a 1 in a SL subject! So that's not going to be any more than 3, maybe a 4 if I'm incredibly lucky. And there were issues with my EE which meant that I ended up having to re-write a new one in around 3 weeks, so bonus points are out the window.

Hehe, this whole IB kerfuffle is really quite a headache!
    damn standard levels! lol, i took maths methods which was sooo stupid as maths studies is so much easier and whereas last summer i got a 6 , in the mocks i got a 3! don't get me started on biology, i do it HL!:eek3: i'm sure you can get that up, have you got the green revision book, so so useful. and what happened with the EE :/ i had to finish writing mine on my 18th birthday at 4am rather drunk lol (my supervisor said he sensed a lot of 'late night writing'

secondly do you have your german oral this week, i have spanish next tuesday

ReputationRep:
    Nelien, thanks for the tip but unfortunately I've already sent my score results... I'm ready to sit TOEFL again if they put it as a condition. And about the speaking matter - I've never had many opportunities to speak and I believe it's all about practice.
    I was wondering what are these grades you're writing about?Are these some matriculation exams' results?
    P.S. Latin?!Come on people,you are going to bury yourselves alive!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.