Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flammea)
    Nelien, thanks for the tip but unfortunately I've already sent my score results... I'm ready to sit TOEFL again if they put it as a condition. And about the speaking matter - I've never had many opportunities to speak and I believe it's all about practice.
    I was wondering what are these grades you're writing about?Are these some matriculation exams' results?
    P.S. Latin?!Come on people,you are going to bury yourselves alive!
    But what I was trying to say is that I strongly believe that it's the highest TOEFL score that counts, you shouldn't wait for a change in you offer since I don't think they will change it at all. Don't worry about the results you sent in, I think they just ignore those results and simply wait for a passed scored result or none at all in which case they would change the condition to either Unsuccessful or Unconditional.

Or am I understanding you wrong? Have you received an offer from Edinburgh at all? If not then of course you should wait for them to give you one before doing any more TOEFL tests, but if you have a test and they require 92 TEOFL by you, you should instantly contact them asking them about retaking the test and be ready to book a second attempt. I personally wouldn't wait for a reply on that question (if you email them) before booking another test attempt, the whole process takes at least one month (more likely two) and in case you need to retake it more times you may run out of time...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr oizo.)
    damn standard levels! lol, i took maths methods which was sooo stupid as maths studies is so much easier and whereas last summer i got a 6 , in the mocks i got a 3! don't get me started on biology, i do it HL!:eek3: i'm sure you can get that up, have you got the green revision book, so so useful. and what happened with the EE :/ i had to finish writing mine on my 18th birthday at 4am rather drunk lol (my supervisor said he sensed a lot of 'late night writing'

secondly do you have your german oral this week, i have spanish next tuesday
    ahh, but think about how much more of a "rounded education" you will have had from studying maths for an extra two years! :l :tongue: The oxford ones? Yep I do, but there's just so much in it, and it's just so boring! I can cover about a page before falling asleep...
    haha wow, sounds like fun! But I think that's actually quite an achievement be able to write at least comprehensable sentences!
    hmm, the short version is that there were a couple of issues with subjects and then supervisors/schools, and so I decided to just do it on my own after checking the topic with a teacher. About a week before the final deadline a different teacher asked what my title was, and then told me that it was innapropriate for the EE and I would need to start again from the beginning for the second time- and gave me a two week extension.

Yep, had it last Friday - so glad it's over! It's no nice to be able to cross something off and just forget about it.
    Good luck with yours!! Think, it's just 15 minutes - it's over so quickly!

ReputationRep:
    *waves* Another IB person here, have my offer and still undecided about my future (typical). My EE was a disaster, so glad I never have to look at it again! Spanish Oral in two weeks, I sense much ridiculous waffle (I do ab initio so have the free conversation portion with the teacher, and making up facts about the lives of people in a picture), good luck to you all with EEs and other school assessed type things!

On a more amusing note, one of my friends who also applied to Edinburgh (and got in ) announced it on Facebook as "Edingburgh" :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agneisse)
    *waves* Another IB person here, have my offer and still undecided about my future (typical). My EE was a disaster, so glad I never have to look at it again! Spanish Oral in two weeks, I sense much ridiculous waffle (I do ab initio so have the free conversation portion with the teacher, and making up facts about the lives of people in a picture), good luck to you all with EEs and other school assessed type things!

On a more amusing note, one of my friends who also applied to Edinburgh (and got in ) announced it on Facebook as "Edingburgh" :tongue:
    Oooh, congrats on your offer!

Can you tell me more about the ab initio oral? I really have no idea what it's about, and my teacher doesn't know much either...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agneisse)
    haha everytime I see it written down I read it as "Edingburgh". It's slipped out a couple of times in conversation like that too...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afua12)
    haha everytime I see it written down I read it as "Edingburgh". It's slipped out a couple of times in conversation like that too...
    I pronounce it as "Edinberg", which is quite possibly worse :redface:

(Original post by Rainfaery)
    Oooh, congrats on your offer!

Can you tell me more about the ab initio oral? I really have no idea what it's about, and my teacher doesn't know much either...
    Thanks

I do Spanish, not sure if it differs between the languages, but basically you get given a picture of lots of people (my mock was one of two really old people, a married couple and four kids eating with chopsticks at a Chinese restaurant, with a waiter and other patrons), have 10 minutes to prepare + make notes, and you have to talk about the picture for three minutes. My teacher's advice is to drift off after a bit e.g. "Juan, who is 15 years old, likes playing chess and football, and he is good at Maths". Then the teacher asks you questions about the picture for three minutes about stuff you haven't touched on in your three-minute monologue, for example I said the people in my picture were Mexican but lived in the US so she asked me if they taught their kids Spanish. Then there are four minutes of general conversation with your teacher which generally takes a rather random direction but is pretty good for post-oral laughs with friends

ReputationRep:
    i just got a place! philosophy and theology BBB

ReputationRep:
    I really wish my other choices would get back to me so I could accept Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    I really wish my other choices would get back to me so I could accept Edinburgh.
    You can withdraw your other applications if you want to reply early. Just be very sure what you're doing (1. you're happy going to Edinburgh, 2. don't withdraw your entire application from UCAS).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    You can withdraw your other applications if you want to reply early. Just be very sure what you're doing (1. you're happy going to Edinburgh, 2. don't withdraw your entire application from UCAS).
    Yeh no doubt I would do that and end up screwed! It's just one, they confirmed last week I have an unconditional with them it's just not showing up on track still.

ReputationRep:
    When I applied I wasn't sure if I wanted to take a gap or not, so I applied for '09 entry just in case. Since then though, I've decided that I definitely don't want to go this year. I have an offer, but I'm worried that if I email/phone Edinburgh asking to defer it, they might say yes, but we'll move your offer up, or maybe even just take the offer away altogether? I don't know.
    Does anyone maybe have any advice? I don't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    My EUCLID notice makes it clear that they're quite happy for me to defer (or were, since I've now replied) - although this was because I'll turn 18 a month or so after arriving, and is almost certainly a standard message. However, it suggests that, at least, if you've got an offer, then they'd be willing to entertain the prospect of you deferring.

I'd give it a try, email them - at worst, they'll say 'no' and you'll have to jump through the hoops again next year (or reconsider, once again, your gap year).

ReputationRep:
    When I applied I wasn't sure if I wanted to take a gap or not, so I applied for '09 entry just in case. Since then though, I've decided that I definitely don't want to go this year. I have an offer, but I'm worried that if I email/phone Edinburgh asking to defer it, they might say yes, but we'll move your offer up, or maybe even just take the offer away altogether? I don't know.
    They won't take back the offer or move it up. The worst that can happen is that they refuse to defer it. Just be prepared with a good explanation for why you want to take a gap year, and you should stand a good chance of getting it deferred.

ReputationRep:
    The reason I want to take a gap is that I just don't want to have to deal with uni yet. I'm sick up of just constantly working towards exams, and I need a break.

But I've applied for modern languages, and I'm guessing it's ridiculously competitive to get a place for deferred. I honestly don't know how I managed to get an offer at all, so if I can't defer and have ot reapply next year, I really doubt I'll get an offer again. It doesn't help that I'm not planning on doing anything directly related to my degree either...

ReputationRep:
    The reason I want to take a gap is that I just don't want to have to deal with uni yet. I'm sick up of just constantly working towards exams, and I need a break.
    Possibly silly suggestion: if this is how you feel, is it wise to leave work for a year? You might find it very difficult to get back into the groove.

If nothing else, send them an email - if they say 'yes', then you save yourself an awful lot of worry. If they say 'no', then you're in almost exactly the same place you're in just now.

ReputationRep:
    I've thought about that, but I'd rather take that risk then start this year and just flunk it. Even at the beginning of sixth form I was just fed up with it and needed a break and I did absolutely horribly that year. I just didn't want to be there, and I don't want the same thing to happen again, especially as I've been looking forward to this course for so long - I really want to be able to commit myself.

Ok, I'm going to email them tomorrow. Any ideas about who I should contact? I'm guessing an admissions tutor, but I'm not sure if I should send it firectly to admission for school of literature, languages and cultures, or humanities and social sciences?

ReputationRep:
    I've thought about that, but I'd rather take that risk then start this year and just flunk it. Even at the beginning of sixth form I was just fed up with it and needed a break and I did absolutely horribly that year. I just didn't want to be there, and I don't want the same thing to happen again, especially as I've been looking forward to this course for so long - I really want to be able to commit myself.

Ok, I'm going to email them tomorrow. Any ideas about who I should contact? I'm guessing an admissions tutor, but I'm not sure if I should send it firectly to admission for school of literature, languages and cultures, or humanities and social sciences?
    To be honest, first year at Scottish Universities is a nice and easy introduction to allow everyone to get to the same level in time for second year. If you've been at Sixth Form and been used to trying to get As and Bs in A-Levels, then the Ds you need to get through first year at Edinburgh will be a doddle- you can easily do it having been 'out of the swing' of things for a year, which I think is another advantage of the education system here. For Scots going to an English University, then moving from Higher's to first year there, the equivalent of second year here, would be much more taxing, and I really wouldn't recommend a gap year in those circumstances, but you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:

Email the LLC school... the college would just forward it to them anyway. All of your communication is done via your school - email the under graduate course secertary for your course as they're generally really helpful and quick to respond.

ReputationRep:
    how long are they allowed to take?
    have the majority got offers now?
    anyone heard for psych? i think i am going insane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turnonthebrightlights)
    how long are they allowed to take?
    More or less as long as they like. They're meant to 'aim' to reply to any offers submitted by Jan 15th by the end of March, but the hard deadline appears to be May 8th, again assuming you were in by Jan 15th. After that date, any outstanding applications are automatically unsuccessful.

This assumes that I'm reading the UCAS 'important dates' page correctly.

have the majority got offers now?
    Anecdotally, everyone I know IRL (some dozen or more) who applied to Edinburgh has heard back (both offers and rejections). None of these applied for psychology, though - perhaps that school (whatever it is) is simply slower. After all, they could have made decisions and simply need to update UCAS.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.