Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Uhm, right, I'm the person who couldn't make up their mind about English Literature...I emailed [email protected] on the 27th and they still haven't responded
    Should I email someone from English/Scottish Literature directly? I'd really like to know what my chances of actually getting to do the subject would be like when taking English Lit or Scottish Lit as an outside subject... I know they're better for Scottish Literature but some numbers would be nice haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green_glitter)
    Uhm, right, I'm the person who couldn't make up their mind about English Literature...I emailed [email protected] on the 27th and they still haven't responded
    Should I email someone from English/Scottish Literature directly? I'd really like to know what my chances of actually getting to do the subject would be like when taking English Lit or Scottish Lit as an outside subject... I know they're better for Scottish Literature but some numbers would be nice haha.
    Scottish Literature; you can quote "The poet Burns"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green_glitter)
    I went to a post-application visit day last week. Basically, they said Scottish Literature isn't really a possible outside subject, and that English Literature is even more competitive, so I doubt you'd be able to get onto that course, especially if you're not even connected to by joint honours.

ReputationRep:
    Conditional!!!!And the best news is I already fulfil the requirements!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anaxor13791)
    I went to a post-application visit day last week. Basically, they said Scottish Literature isn't really a possible outside subject, and that English Literature is even more competitive, so I doubt you'd be able to get onto that course, especially if you're not even connected to by joint honours.
    I'm sorry but that's just blatantly wrong.

Green Glitter is going to be doing a single honours Philosophy MA. The requirements for this degree programme in first year are as follows:
    40 credits Philosophy
    20 credits Logic
    20 credits Philosophical Science
    40 credits other.

If you follow the link after 'further courses' it offers all schools as being available and you can amongst other subjects track down both English Literature and Scottish Literature. You cannot do both English and Scottish in combination unless you are an English/Scottish joint honours student. Green Glitter doesn't have this problem. There is a limit on the number of English students which is conducted by pulling names from a hat. So Green Glitter could rightly apply to this and hope to get lucky. However, if she's unlucky she can definitely apply for Scottish literature (unless there is a timetable clash, check TimeTab online for confirmation) which has no limitations on who can take it. Obviously it too can fill up, but there's no legitimate reason why it can't be taken as an outside course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nearlyheadlessian)

Green Glitter is going to be doing a single honours Philosophy MA. The requirements for this degree programme in first year are as follows:
    40 credits Philosophy
    20 credits Logic
    40 credits other.

If you follow the link after 'further courses' it offers all schools as being available and you can amongst other subjects track down both English Literature and Scottish Literature. You cannot do both English and Scottish in combination unless you are an English/Scottish joint honours student. Green Glitter doesn't have this problem. There is a limit on the number of English students which is conducted by pulling names from a hat. So Green Glitter could rightly apply to this and hope to get lucky. However, if she's unlucky she can definitely apply for Scottish literature (unless there is a timetable clash, check TimeTab online for confirmation) which has no limitations on who can take it. Obviously it too can fill up, but there's no legitimate reason why it can't be taken as an outside course.
    Ah i know greenglitter doesn't want to do scottish and english literature!
    yeah maybe there's a chance, but i basically went to SEE the admissions officer who you know, decides those sorts of things - and she said that basically it's not that possible to take them as an outside subject until you apply for year 3 and 4. she said something along those lines, and I'm someone with a joint language and english lit offer and she said i wouldn't even be able to switch to just english literature, that's how competitive it is. just saying what she said - which was that it's virtually impossible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nearlyheadlessian)

40 credits Philosophy
    20 credits Logic
    40 credits other.

Yes, that was what I assumed, it says so on the English lit dept's website as well. Phew, I had a moment of panic there. The courses don't seem to clash on timetab, so yay for that (might change next year but still). I've just emailed LCC directly to ask how many students who do other subjects usually get rejected from English lit and whether Scottish Lit ever fills up, just to make sure and assess my chances.
    Does anyone know how long they usually take to respond?

ReputationRep:
    While you're talking about timetab and credits and stuff I'd like to ask a question I've been thinking about, without interrupting your discussion .

Is it possible to take more courses than it's actually part of the degree? For example, if in your degree structure it says 20 credits "Further courses" but you want to take a 40 credits course, taking into account that it fits in the timetab and you're crazy enough to believe you can handle the extra workload, is that allowed? Even if it is possible, do some students do that or is it simply too much to handle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nelien)
    Is it possible to take more courses than it's actually part of the degree? For example, if in your degree structure it says 20 credits "Further courses" but you want to take a 40 credits course, taking into account that it fits in the timetab and you're crazy enough to believe you can handle the extra workload, is that allowed? Even if it is possible, do some students do that or is it simply too much to handle?
    It's allowed. I'm doing 160 credits worth of stuff this year (40 extra). You just have to explain why you want to do it and debate it with your DoS until they let you. Personally I don't find it too much, I was bored last year only doing the 120 credits, although at times I think I should have taken 2 first year and 2 second year courses as there is a fairly significant difference in the amount of work that second year courses demand over first year ones.

but i basically went to SEE the admissions officer who you know, decides those sorts of things
    The admissions staff have nothing to do with courses that students take once they are matriculated. And anyway, you asked the question, presumably from the point of view of an English Lit and Russian applicant (am I right that this is what you have applied for?). In which case you would not be able to take Scottish Lit as an outside course. People who are, like you, in the position of taking English Lit without being on the Scottish and English Lit joint honours course are not allowed to take Scottish Lit until 3rd or 4th year. Green_glitter, on the other hand, is going to be on the Philosophy course, and therefore in a very different position from the one that you enquired about, and able to take Scottish Literature in 1st or 2nd year if desired.

As for whether you'd be able to switch to single honours English Literature, you'd have no trouble doing it. No-one can force you to keep taking Russian into second year and beyond if you don't like it. You just can't change your offer now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artorscience?)
    It's allowed. I'm doing 160 credits worth of stuff this year (40 extra). You just have to explain why you want to do it and debate it with your DoS until they let you. Personally I don't find it too much, I was bored last year only doing the 120 credits, although at times I think I should have taken 2 first year and 2 second year courses as there is a fairly significant difference in the amount of work that second year courses demand over first year ones.

The admissions staff have nothing to do with courses that students take once they are matriculated. And anyway, you asked the question, presumably from the point of view of an English Lit and Russian applicant (am I right that this is what you have applied for?). In which case you would not be able to take Scottish Lit as an outside course. People who are, like you, in the position of taking English Lit without being on the Scottish and English Lit joint honours course are not allowed to take Scottish Lit until 3rd or 4th year. Green_glitter, on the other hand, is going to be on the Philosophy course, and therefore in a very different position from the one that you enquired about, and able to take Scottish Literature in 1st or 2nd year if desired.

As for whether you'd be able to switch to single honours English Literature, you'd have no trouble doing it. No-one can force you to keep taking Russian into second year and beyond if you don't like it. You just can't change your offer now.
    i'm sorry, but i went to the open day to ask these sorts of questions and got answers from teachers, admissions people and department heads, so please don't act as if you know exactly what you're talking about! i don't know what's right or not, but on the basis of what THEY said

english literature is something you can switch to as a single honour in the third and fourth year, though it is highly competitive and 1 in 5 people get in, and it's based on marks throughout the two years. people hoping to have scottish or english literature as a subject in the first two years, as well as their course, will find it difficult to get on.

i'm only saying what they said to me, and i think they know the most

ReputationRep:
    i'm sorry, but i went to the open day to ask these sorts of questions and got answers from teachers, admissions people and department heads, so please don't act as if you know exactly what you're talking about! i don't know what's right or not, but on the basis of what THEY said

english literature is something you can switch to as a single honour in the third and fourth year, though it is highly competitive and 1 in 5 people get in, and it's based on marks throughout the two years. people hoping to have scottish or english literature as a subject in the first two years, as well as their course, will find it difficult to get on.

So you believe that you know more about what Edinburgh students can do than an actual Edinburgh student (artorscience?) because you visited the open day?

ReputationRep:
    no, i don't KNOW - oh god people are being so accusatory.
    i'm just saying what the people who i would have thought known the most said, e.g - lecturers, department staff and admissions office. i also said that i wasn't certain, but that's what THEY said. goshh
    I meant but forgot to put a smiley face next to my post. So here it is

ReputationRep:

Only 1 in 5 people get into honours for English Lit?
    That's rubbish- what happens to the other 80%, do they just fail their degree and leave after 2nd year?

Eng Lit has a (I think) 55% average mark for entry into honours, which is slightly higher than other subjects in the university which are normally 50%. This means if you get a 55% average in second year, you progress into the higher years no questions asked. If someone manages to take Eng Lit as their outside subject in 1st year then carries it on to 2nd year they are also permitted to continue into 3rd and 4th year providing they have spoken to their DOS about the course change. There is no difference between people who applied to do the subject and the people who take it as their course - if you manage to get onto the course in 1st year you can take it until graduation, its as simple as that.

Also once you've actually been a student here you will loose all faith in the idea that lecturers, department heads etc actually know what they're talking about - they don't. A lot of them have no idea at all about the ins and outs of the academic system meaning any course changes or information is dealt with by the student who then essentially provides their DOS (personal tutor) with the information and paper work neccesary to make the changes. This means students do actually know more than the tutors, as we're the ones who are trying to get a degree and end up doing all the research. The admissions staff know about admissions, yes, but not about what happens once you're a matriculated student. The English Lit lecturer knows about the teaching of say, second year English, but not about 3rd year English as thats not their area. If you're joint honours and your DOS is from English, don't expect them to know anything about Anthropology or even what the subject is. This is the reality, so in the end, students probably do know more about the bigger picture than the staff as its stuff which we, and our friends, have had to organise. Once you've been in Edinburgh for more than 5 minutes you'll realise this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    Only 1 in 5 people get into honours for English Lit?
    That's rubbish- what happens to the other 80%, do they just fail their degree and leave after 2nd year?

Eng Lit has a (I think) 55% average mark for entry into honours, which is slightly higher than other subjects in the university which are normally 50%. This means if you get a 55% average in second year, you progress into the higher years no questions asked. If someone manages to take Eng Lit as their outside subject in 1st year then carries it on to 2nd year they are also permitted to continue into 3rd and 4th year providing they have spoken to their DOS about the course change. There is no difference between people who applied to do the subject and the people who take it as their course - if you manage to get onto the course in 1st year you can take it until graduation, its as simple as that.

Also once you've actually been a student here you will loose all faith in the idea that lecturers, department heads etc actually know what they're talking about - they don't. A lot of them have no idea at all about the ins and outs of the academic system meaning any course changes or information is dealt with by the student who then essentially provides their DOS (personal tutor) with the information and paper work neccesary to make the changes. This means students do actually know more than the tutors, as we're the ones who are trying to get a degree and end up doing all the research. The admissions staff know about admissions, yes, but not about what happens once you're a matriculated student. The English Lit lecturer knows about the teaching of say, second year English, but not about 3rd year English as thats not their area. If you're joint honours and your DOS is from English, don't expect them to know anything about Anthropology or even what the subject is. This is the reality, so in the end, students probably do know more about the bigger picture than the staff as its stuff which we, and our friends, have had to organise. Once you've been in Edinburgh for more than 5 minutes you'll realise this.
    Ok, can I just repeat what I said. The admissions person told me when I went to see her that if you're studying English lit in year 1 & 2 and you didn't get an offer for straight English lit, but you want to switch in year 3 & 4, you have to apply and around one in 5 get it, and it's based on grades. That's what she said - I'm reporting her, not myself, so calm down!
    I would have assumed that's a fairly informed opinion, I don't know, I'm not a student at Edinburgh. If you say that there's more flexibility, that's great, but whenever I made this point, I always mentioned that it was what they had said, and not something I just heard on tsr.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukeyboy)
    its because the course is drab!

dont do politics, save yourself.
    uhm, whats this based on? i dont know which uni to accept for politics or poli+econs, n i am interested in hearing opinions especially about edinburgh since i dont know much about it!

ReputationRep:
    Rejected for both... that was harsh

anyways, does anybody know if and how i could ask about a possible deferred entry?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to interrupt the drama but here's a quick question: What opportunities exist for an engineering major seeking to diversify his course portfolio, so to speak? My interests are broad and while my main focus is, of course, engineering, I would still like to see what classes I can take outside of the field. It doesn't seem like there are many Edinburgh engineering students on TSR but if anyone can help answer this for me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilwy)
    Sorry to interrupt the drama but here's a quick question: What opportunities exist for an engineering major seeking to diversify his course portfolio, so to speak? My interests are broad and while my main focus is, of course, engineering, I would still like to see what classes I can take outside of the field. It doesn't seem like there are many Edinburgh engineering students on TSR but if anyone can help answer this for me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
    NOT A MAJOR!

Why is every American under the delusion that you will be studying a major?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScholarsInk)
    NOT A MAJOR!

Why is every American under the delusion that you will be studying a major?
    Maybe it's because that's how the American university system works. That being said would you be so kind as to explain to this ignorant American exactly how the system works in Scotland?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilwy)
    What opportunities exist for an engineering major seeking to diversify his course portfolio, so to speak?
    Take a look here. Pick the title of the degree you have applied to, it tells you the compulsory courses for each year and then tells you how many credits worth of further courses you are allowed. To see the range of courses available in your further courses click on the link along from where it says further courses, it usually says A-Q, and you can see the subject areas you can take your further courses in. If you then click on one you are interested in you can see what courses might be available to you, only look at those that are level 7 or 8. Be aware that this is the programme for last year so courses for next year will be different, and you need to avoid timetable clashes.

Outside courses in first and second year are you only "diversifying" opportunities, and in college of science/engineering they're not as wide as in humanities.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 12, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.