Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Digsy333)
    Rejected for both... that was harsh

anyways, does anybody know if and how i could ask about a possible deferred entry?
    Unless I'm missing something about your situation, you can't ask for deferred entry. You can't defer something that you don't have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilwy)
    Maybe it's because that's how the American university system works. That being said would you be so kind as to explain to this ignorant American exactly how the system works in Scotland?
    Well, in the US, we'll typically take a bunch of courses then decide that we want to do a major in something even if we have not taken those classes at the beginning, with plenty of room and indeed requirements to take courses outside of the major.

In the Scottish system, there's more flexibility of courses to take than the English system, but your study is mostly in your main area of study, with a few outside courses but no distribution requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody.

I would like to know some things about the uni of edinburgh.

How is the general atomosphere in uni and halls? More serious or partying spirit?
    Are the halls sociables? I applied for pollock halls, are there a lot of common rooms and events during the year?
    Are there a lot of foreigner students? Is there a particular majority? (like chineese people in Imperial College for example)
    Are you all having fun there, or do you find boring to live in a small city for 4 years?

Thank you, I have to chose if I stay in London or not, this choice is killing me...

Because on the first side I have all my mates here in London, but on the other one I want to try a new adventure... But I am afraid to do the wrong choice.

Nicolas

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies artorscience? and ScholarsInk. I think I have a good understanding of it now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilwy)
    Thanks for your replies artorscience? and ScholarsInk. I think I have a good understanding of it now.
    Are you going to the US applicants' thing they're doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScholarsInk)
    All of the cities that they are going to are hundreds of miles away, so no, unfortunately not.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to the one in NYC. I would assume you are going to the one in D.C.?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainfaery)
    I'm going to the one in NYC. I would assume you are going to the one in D.C.?
    Yes ma'am. I almost was going to go to the NY one but the dates of my visit to my uncle there changed.

ReputationRep:
    Yes ma'am. I almost was going to go to the NY one but the dates of my visit to my uncle there changed.
    Ah, okay. I was going to go to the one in Boston, as both places are about equidistant from me, but then it turns out I have a regatta that Saturday, so the Sunday date in NYC was the only one that worked for me. I also get to miss a day of school now, so I'm pleased.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainfaery)
    Ah, okay. I was going to go to the one in Boston, as both places are about equidistant from me, but then it turns out I have a regatta that Saturday, so the Sunday date in NYC was the only one that worked for me. I also get to miss a day of school now, so I'm pleased.
    Missed school is always good.

Hmm. Almost always on second thought.

Has anyone else joined the official Facebook group?

ReputationRep:
    I have, don't think it's official though.

ReputationRep:
    Official or not, I just joined it.

ReputationRep:
    yay freshers week

ReputationRep:
    who's going wednesday to the open day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr oizo.)
    I am!

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help with this question? Basically I have a conditional offer of getting one B in my highers this year, however, I tore a ligament in my knee in early December and have missed loads of school (like almost 3 months). I have passed no NABs because I have been off for so long and the school think it would be best if I just leave and go to my second choice uni (Aberdeen to do History). I don't want to do this, I want to do Law and history at Edinburgh so if I phone up the admissions people tomorrow what do you think my chances are of still being able to go to Edinburgh under the extenuating circumstances or d you think they will basically tell me to GTF? Thanks for any advice you can give.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr oizo.)
    I am Will be my first visit to Scotland!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afua12)
    I am Will be my first visit to Scotland!
    Awesome i've only been there once for golf but can't wait i don't think much has to be said at the open day to make it my firm!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonshine_1991)
    I don't want to do this, I want to do Law and history at Edinburgh so if I phone up the admissions people tomorrow what do you think my chances are of still being able to go to Edinburgh under the extenuating circumstances or d you think they will basically tell me to GTF?
    Well it certainly won't hurt to ring up and explain your situation as you might get them to change your conditions. Do you not think that with some home study you can get the one grade that you need?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artorscience?)
    Well it certainly won't hurt to ring up and explain your situation as you might get them to change your conditions. Do you not think that with some home study you can get the one grade that you need?
    The facts are I have not done my NABs and therefore can't pass the course and my knee is still in a bad way, ie I can't sit still for more than 10 mins at a time. My school are putting pressure on me to leave as the subject I have to get a B in is a crash higher so I don't have any background knowledge from standard grade. I will give them a call for sure tomorrow. What do you think my chances of getting them to change it are?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.