Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonshine_1991)
    What do you think my chances of getting them to change it are?
    I have no idea, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artorscience?)
    I have no idea, sorry.
    OK, thanks anyway.

ReputationRep:
    OK, thanks anyway.
    Also say to them that you will follow the phone call up with a letter from your doctor stating that this has actually happened, and that you will also get a letter from school to say that you missed the NABs so therefore can not complete the course. They will not just take your word for it, you need to give them hard and concrete evidence before they make any decisions.

Get the name of the person/people you speak to, and then use that as a point of reference. Get the letters from your school and doctor within the next couple of days too then it will be still fresh in their minds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    Also say to them that you will follow the phone call up with a letter from your doctor stating that this has actually happened, and that you will also get a letter from school to say that you missed the NABs so therefore can not complete the course. They will not just take your word for it, you need to give them hard and concrete evidence before they make any decisions.

Get the name of the person/people you speak to, and then use that as a point of reference. Get the letters from your school and doctor within the next couple of days too then it will be still fresh in their minds.
    I got a doctors certificate a week or so ago and gave it to the school, could the school not just photocopy it and pass it on, or would that not be allowed?
    BTW, should it be the admissions dept that I am phoning or someone else?

ReputationRep:
    I got a doctors certificate a week or so ago and gave it to the school, could the school not just photocopy it and pass it on, or would that not be allowed?
    BTW, should it be the admissions dept that I am phoning or someone else?
    Umm I would contact the admissions/under graduate secertary for your school, it will probably say on the website. You're doing law and history, yeah? I'll look online.

Ask them on the phone tomorrow if that would be okay. At uni I had to give the doctors note to my DOS (personal tutor) so I don't really know about it when related to admissions, sorry! Just ask them what information they will need.

ReputationRep:
    Umm I would contact the admissions/under graduate secertary for your school, it will probably say on the website. You're doing law and history, yeah? I'll look online.

Ask them on the phone tomorrow if that would be okay. At uni I had to give the doctors note to my DOS (personal tutor) so I don't really know about it when related to admissions, sorry! Just ask them what information they will need.
    Thanks, I am going onto school tomorrow and basically have to sign a leavers form or do NABs I am nowhere near prepared for. I am screwed if Edinburgh are not understanding. I mean why would anyone want to live in Aberdeen for 4 years :tongue:.

ReputationRep:
    [email protected]- they just give the college email address so maybe they aren't as into the school system as some of the others, all of my contact stuff goes via my school.

ReputationRep:
    [email protected]- they just give the college email address so maybe they aren't as into the school system as some of the others, all of my contact stuff goes via my school.
    Who do I call then? Just general admissions dept?

ReputationRep:
    Who do I call then? Just general admissions dept?
    Yeah, the College of Humanities and Social Science.
    0131 650 3565.

It says that they are the people to contact, so I'd just give them a call, breifly explain (ie: that you hold an offer which you've confirmed, but you've got extenuating circumstances which mean you can't meet the offer and you want to know what to do/who you have to contact/what your options are) then they should be able to point you in the right direction if they can't help you first hand.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the College of Humanities and Social Science.
    0131 650 3565.

It says that they are the people to contact, so I'd just give them a call, breifly explain (ie: that you hold an offer which you've confirmed, but you've got extenuating circumstances which mean you can't meet the offer and you want to know what to do/who you have to contact/what your options are) then they should be able to point you in the right direction if they can't help you first hand.
    Do I have to have firmed the offer first as I have not done that yet?

ReputationRep:
    Do I have to have firmed the offer first as I have not done that yet?
    It shouldn't matter, you have an offer and you want to go. Firming it at this point might just confuse things (I don't know how long status changes take to go through UCAS, or whether there is a stage of "something's changing" on the university's end, or other potentially confusing things).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artorscience?)
    It shouldn't matter, you have an offer and you want to go. Firming it at this point might just confuse things.
    That is why I haven't firmed it yet. OK, cheers.

ReputationRep:
    When do they give out Economics offers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie192)
    When do they give out Economics offers?
    Mine came during the first week of December; I applied on 14th October.

ReputationRep:
    I have just accepted Edinburgh as my firm, do you think it would be a waste of choices to put the accommodation down as 1st and second choice Darroch Court just different room sizes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScholarsInk)
    Mine came during the first week of December; I applied on 14th October.
    Thanks.

Another question. I have heard of directly entering year 2. How do you go about this? And what's the difference? Do you need higher qualifications?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie192)
    I have heard of directly entering year 2. How do you go about this? And what's the difference? Do you need higher qualifications?
    Direct entry is something that is available to degree courses in the college of Science and Engineering providing that one attains higher entry qualifications (for example first year entry to maths requires an A in maths at A level/Higher whereas second year entry requires an A in further maths and maths A level/or maths and applied maths Advanced Higher). And the difference is that you literally start in second year and so don't have the extra year of foundation study.

Economics is in the College of Humanities, so you're not in the same position. Take a look at the page on Economics study to see more about how your degree will work.

ReputationRep:
    I thought I would give an update on my situation. I phoned the College of Humanities and Social Science earlier and they have given me a couple of people to e-mail with the details of my extenuating circumstances, and have told me to get my guidance teacher to e-mail them too telling them that I have, essentially, been chucked out of school and also forward on a photocopy of my doctors certificate. I still might have a chance of being accepted onto the course. Thanks for the help you guys gave! (artorscience? and oxymoronic)

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I applied for Politics and Economics at Edinburgh. I sent my application to UCAS in October and all my uni's have replied except from Edinburgh. Is this normal/does this say anything about my chances? I do not live in the UK so I am not really familiar with this system, so sorry if these questions are stupid.

Thanks,

Migs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Migss)
    Is this normal/does this say anything about my chances?
    It is perfectly normal. The university aims to reply by the end of March but responses can be on-going in popular subjects through to May. There are a number of people on this forum who are still waiting so you are not alone.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 12, 2009
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.