The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

afua12
Hot? :s I thought it was a bit cold most of the day...

I was at the open day yesterday. It was the first time I'd seen the uni, but because of flight times we had to leave pretty quickly after the talks and so didn't get to see much.

In Pollock Halls, we only had a quick look at the rooms, so I might have missed it, but is there any green on site? I've heard that it's a really green city, and just outside it was beautiful, but on site there didn't seem to be any? I was hoping that there'd be a bit of grass to just sit on in summer or kick a ball about on. Did I just miss it or is it just the rooms?

Any green at Pollock or at George Square?

If you're meaning Pollock then there is Arthurs Seat and the surrounding area for your back garden. I think there is a fair bit of grass at Pollock but from what I know from my friends who lived there, they all just went around the corner into Holyrood Park.

At George Square there is George Square Gardens right in the middle by the library, which gets really full during exams with people revising/pretending to do work.

But most people head out onto the Meadows and Bruntsfield Links,regardless of where they live in Edinburgh. I love it there in the summer, as we always have barbeques, music, drinks and just chill.

God you've made me miss Edinburgh now :love:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
i have an unconditonal from edinburgh for business but is there anyway i can fast track my degree into 3 years rather than 4?

having a 4 year MA hons is it regarded any better than a 3 year BA/BSC hons by employers or what?
student of the game
i have an unconditonal from edinburgh for business but is there anyway i can fast track my degree into 3 years rather than 4?

having a 4 year MA hons is it regarded any better than a 3 year BA/BSC hons by employers or what?

Direct entry only applies to science courses, and if you're on the MA business course then no, you can not fast track to do the degree in 3 years. You can leave after 3rd year with an ordinary degree (no honours or anything) but then you would have just wasted 3 years of your life.

Having taken a degree in the Scottish system means you will have been able to supliement your studies of business with other courses in the first two years, meaning you could take a language course for example. This means you will graduate with a broader array of knowledge from disciplines other than business which employers will appriciate. I do not take a language course, but I have still studied Spanish for 2 years at university which means my Spanish is pretty good. Had I gone to England this would not have been possible and I'd like to think that I am more employable as a result of having a second language. The Scottish system gives breath in the knowledge you acquire whereas in England you only go in depth. We do both, but whether you decide to do 4 years here or 3 in England is entirely up to you. You will recieve the same qualification in the long run.
Reply 1183
Why is it that every current student i talked to on the open day said that Chancellors' Court was a bad choice :s-smilie: anyone?
Reply 1184
Is Chancellor's Court the newest halls in Pollock?
I thought it probably would have been the best - from the outside at least the building looked a lot nicer and modern.
Reply 1185
afua12
I thought it probably would have been the best - from the outside at least the building looked a lot nicer and modern.

yeah, it's the really modern one when you walk in, i put it down as my choice on the form as it looks awesome :smile:
mr oizo.
Why is it that every current student i talked to on the open day said that Chancellors' Court was a bad choice :s-smilie: anyone?

It is not worth the money they charge, that's why.
If you want to live in a hotel for a year with fancy swipe cards for a key, and a posh lift, then by all means apply for there, but they seriously overcharge for what you actually get. It is £5800-6100 a year in Chancellors which is utterly ridiculous and it has the reputation of being a bit of a rich kids playground as it's only the very wealthy students who can afford to live there. In general, if someone tells you they live in Chancellors, they get met with raised eyebrows and a sort of "ah, I see" kind of response. I know that is a huge stereotype as I know some lovely people who lived there who also happen to have money, but in general, it attracts the wealthier students who love themselves and their money. In my opinion Pollock Halls are a complete rip off anyway, but Chancellors is even worse - they know that a lot of students can and will pay astronomical rents for accommodation which is why they can get away with it. It's the same in the private sector, landlords want up to £400 or even more excluding bills for some flats because they know that some people here can afford to pay it.

afua12

Yes it is the newest and it does look very nice - all of the rooms are very Ikea esque and modern. But you pay through the sky for it, and it is essentially like living in a hotel for a year. It isn't a home.
Reply 1187
oxymoronic
It is not worth the money they charge, that's why.
If you want to live in a hotel for a year with fancy swipe cards for a key, and a posh lift, then by all means apply for there, but they seriously overcharge for what you actually get. It is £5800-6100 a year in Chancellors which is utterly ridiculous and it has the reputation of being a bit of a rich kids playground as it's only the very wealthy students who can afford to live there. In general, if someone tells you they live in Chancellors, they get met with raised eyebrows and a sort of "ah, I see" kind of response. I know that is a huge stereotype as I know some lovely people who lived there who also happen to have money, but in general, it attracts the wealthier students who love themselves and their money. In my opinion Pollock Halls are a complete rip off anyway, but Chancellors is even worse - they know that a lot of students can and will pay astronomical rents for accommodation which is why they can get away with it.

To be honest, when you look at the costs at Pollock, they're all very expensive (especially when you consider acommodation at catered UCL is between 135 and 145) John burnett is 215 a week for the top rooms! eek.But i guess people just take the hit. I'm gonna ignore the rich stereotypes as the only problem i saw with chancellors on the open day was the swipe card thing (we were trying to see rooms :P) they keep people out and for introvert people, it's very easy to stay in.. does pollock get cliquey ?
Reply 1188
:O 215 a week for just a room! shared bathroom?
Reply 1189
http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/accommodation-services/new-prospective/undergraduate/catered

then for that 215 a week one (it's being built for september)

Academic year Room type and size Bathroom Weekly Tenancy
2009-2010 Superior single En-suite £215.81 £7763.80
2009-2010 Standard single En-suite £198.31 £7113.80
2009-2010 Standard single Shared £180.25 £6443.00
2009-2010 Twin room En-suite £133.14 £4693.20
Reply 1190
I accepted my offer as firm last night and am sooo excited (fingers crossed I achieve BBB but I think I should be alright)! Anyone else out there in the same boat?
I've accepted my offer for English Lit, but as I did the IB last year, it was an unconditional. So similar, but not quiiiite the same.

Good luck for your exams :smile:
Reply 1192
Aw yay nice to meet you!
:O Lucky thing, we never got the option for IB in our school, I'd have loved to have done it, although I heard its pretty hard going at times
Looking forward to seeing you there!
Menelwen
Aw yay nice to meet you!
:O Lucky thing, we never got the option for IB in our school, I'd have loved to have done it, although I heard its pretty hard going at times
Looking forward to seeing you there!

Haha IB is incredibly tough at times - was well worth it, in my opinion, though even if I did have my moments of doubt :p:

Looking forward to seeing you there, too :smile:
mr oizo.
To be honest, when you look at the costs at Pollock, they're all very expensive (especially when you consider acommodation at catered UCL is between 135 and 145) John burnett is 215 a week for the top rooms! eek.But i guess people just take the hit. I'm gonna ignore the rich stereotypes as the only problem i saw with chancellors on the open day was the swipe card thing (we were trying to see rooms :P) they keep people out and for introvert people, it's very easy to stay in.. does pollock get cliquey ?

The key thing is annoying yeah, as you can only use your key to get into your own pantry. It doesn't open all of them. Even I got annoyed by that and I didn't spend that much time in Chancellors!

I think it depends what circles you opperate in as to whether it is cliquey. I didn't live there but for some people their lives do revolve around their Pollock corridor and a few people I know got very annoyed with a certain couple of people claiming the pantry (shared by cerca 15 people) as their own, and effectively forcing the other people out of it by always having parties/gatherings/film nights (CC has tvs in them) and making it blatently obvious that not everyone was allowed to participate. But that's the case anywhere I think, you could get flatmates like that who take over the kitchen - I'd say uni accom is the same everywhere - its very easy never to meet your neighbours unless you make the effort at the start.
Right, I'll resurrect this thread since a more recent one doesn't appear to exist!

I'm doing History (neat, as they put it) at Edinburgh from Sept2009 if I get my grades.
Anyone else?
Reply 1196
Probably me if i get my grades too.
mr oizo.

I didn't even talk to any Current Students at the open day. I did for the other universities, but not Edinburgh.

I don't know what it was about them, but they just didn't seem my type. I mean, they kept making jokes about integration!
Probably will be there.... between Ed and Bristol....
" Chancellor's Court is the University's largest hall of residence."

:O

there must be a LOT of very rich students at Edinburgh...!!

Latest

Trending

Trending