Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kjc_us)
    Absolutely! Otherwise we're gonna struggle to find time just to breathe at this rate! :p:

I'm doing French and German. Guess I'll be seeing you in French Soc.

Any idea what you're gonna do as your outside subjects?
    Yes you will! Um I have no idea! Possibly French as I LOVE it, but I might try something new

I'll see how my meeting with the director of studies goes in freshers

*EXCITEMENT*

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely! Otherwise we're gonna struggle to find time just to breathe at this rate! :p:

I'm doing French and German. Guess I'll be seeing you in French Soc.

Any idea what you're gonna do as your outside subjects?
    Yes you will! Um I have no idea! Possibly French as I LOVE it, but I might try something new

*EXCITEMENT*

ReputationRep:
    awww.... freshers excitment is so cute!!
    we we all like this on tsr when I was applying, I remember the same conversation about societies... Don't think I joined many of the ones I said I was going to!

I'm gonna be a big grumpy 4th year running around like a headless chicken attempting to fit 2 years of work into one year. Can't wait!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Menelwen)

*EXCITEMENT*
    FRESHERS! :eek3:

Soooooooooooooooooo excited!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    awww.... freshers excitment is so cute!!
    we we all like this on tsr when I was applying, I remember the same conversation about societies... Don't think I joined many of the ones I said I was going to!

I'm gonna be a big grumpy 4th year running around like a headless chicken attempting to fit 2 years of work into one year. Can't wait!
    Haha that will probably be the case with me. I'm the kind of person who will make all these great plans and never follow them through. Sort of the same way I make all these great Easter holiday revision plans....... and never follow them through! Now that I only need BBB I've become lazy. :p:

What is it you study?

ReputationRep:
    Haha that will probably be the case with me. I'm the kind of person who will make all these great plans and never follow them through. Sort of the same way I make all these great Easter holiday revision plans....... and never follow them through! Now that I only need BBB I've become lazy. :p:

What is it you study?
    Same.. planning is always the best part of doing things! Hmm I went the other way after I got my offer as I was terrified I wasn't going to make it on results day so went overboard on the revision and ended up getting way more than I wanted (AAAB) so all was good.

I do anthropology

ReputationRep:
    Same.. planning is always the best part of doing things! Hmm I went the other way after I got my offer as I was terrified I wasn't going to make it on results day so went overboard on the revision and ended up getting way more than I wanted (AAAB) so all was good.

I do anthropology

Especially when you get to colour in your plans and make them all pretty! Haha. Hence why I've stopped saying "I'll do x hours today" because if I say I'll do 3 hours I'll spend 1 hour planning, 1 hour colouring in, 1/2 hour staring into space and 1/2 hour revising, lol. Now I'm doing it by "I'll learn this this and this today" so there's no escape! I'm just the kind of person who works very hard over the year and then gets lazy around exam time. I hate revision with a blazing passion! I'm still hoping for AAA though.

Cool! (Anthropology is the study of like humanity and relationships and stuff isn't it?!)

ReputationRep:
    Woah a kindred spirit =)
    What are youuu studying?

ReputationRep:
    Cool! (Anthropology is the study of like humanity and relationships and stuff isn't it?!)
    Kind of - it's the comparative study of culture, using the idea that humans are all different and as a result there is so much diversity in the cultures around the world. Yet there are some things which are constant, there are just different rules about it - such as incest taboo for example. Every known culture in the world has this but the rules differ around the world, in some countries it is perfectly acceptable for a boy to marry his mother after the death of the father, or for a girl to marry her oldest brother, whereas in our culture we wouldn't allow this to happen. However anthropologists use the idea that everything is relative and there isn't such a thing as rights and wrongs, there is just different rights and wrongs. There is no such thing as normality because what you consider to be normal completely depends on the culture you've been raised in.

It kind of mixes all of the social sciences - politics, linguistics, psychology, sociology, religious studies, history etc and brings it into one big domain to study of humans.

ReputationRep:
    I got BBB offer from here to do Economics and Philosophy; I also got an AAB offer from however to do PPE. Which should I put as my second choice? What are the merits and demerits of Edinburgh?

ReputationRep:
    I'm supposed to start in 09/10 provided all goes well with the conditions...

ReputationRep:
    hey all

is anyone out there like my buddy still waiting for their decisions for history (V100)? cos he's been waiting for baaaaaaaaaaaaaaare long times now. this is serious, by the way. anyone? for other subjects as well? and if you got history offers, when did you get them?

also, can i give a shout out to my homy 5 pints chunder "why don't you kiss it" dougiemacs, you know who you are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliceBoreas)
    I'm supposed to start in 09/10 provided all goes well with the conditions...
    I'll see you in English

ReputationRep:
    Kind of - it's the comparative study of culture, using the idea that humans are all different and as a result there is so much diversity in the cultures around the world. Yet there are some things which are constant, there are just different rules about it - such as incest taboo for example. Every known culture in the world has this but the rules differ around the world, in some countries it is perfectly acceptable for a boy to marry his mother after the death of the father, or for a girl to marry her oldest brother, whereas in our culture we wouldn't allow this to happen. However anthropologists use the idea that everything is relative and there isn't such a thing as rights and wrongs, there is just different rights and wrongs. There is no such thing as normality because what you consider to be normal completely depends on the culture you've been raised in.

It kind of mixes all of the social sciences - politics, linguistics, psychology, sociology, religious studies, history etc and brings it into one big domain to study of humans.
    Wow, that sounds really interesting! (I'm not just saying that.... it genuinely does. )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Menelwen)
    Woah a kindred spirit =)
    What are youuu studying?

French and German for me. And as an outside subject I'm looking at doing European History. I wanted to take up Italian but I think 3 languages will be too much and I do want to have a life! Especially given all those societies I want to join. :p: The Introduction to the EU also looks really interesting but I'm really rubbish at economic-y stuff and I think I'd struggle with that aspect, which apparently makes up a fair bit of the course....

ReputationRep:
    I have unconditionals for 2 courses at Edinburgh:

Medical Sciences (B100)
    Medicinal and Biological Chemistry (FC1R)

Even though I already live here, according to them I can still get accomodation since I'm a "LEAPS Group 1 Student". I'm thinking of accepting my offer for B100

ReputationRep:
    My revision has started in earnest. I am NOT going to miss my offer!

See you all in September.

By the way, does anyone plan on joining the rowing team?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-OD)
    i had AAAAB and was rejected.. wonder what wouldv happened if i was scottish lol
    Hahahaha! I'm sure something would have changed...ahm ahm...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr oizo.)
    Why is it that every current student i talked to on the open day said that Chancellors' Court was a bad choice anyone?
    lol Chancellor's court isn't a baaad choice....in fact the rooms are well nice. It's the fact that the other halls aren't as fancy as the other ones. PLUS, last year, the uni messed up accomodation applications so people in Chancellor's had to share single rooms...bit of a tight squeeze in my opinion..DON'T WORRY I'm sure it won't happen again. lol. hmmm if I remember correctly Chancellor's was notorious for having the most fire alarms each week. (average 3) so beware of waking up in the wee hours of the morning. ahhhh joys of Pollock.
    Bottom line is...there's always a bit o inter-house rivalry! I myself lived in Grant House, (the small one behind Chancellor's). Small and friendly Also known as 'the ghetto' so no-one touched us lol.

Bo

ReputationRep:
    Yay, UCAS updated to UNCONDITIONAL Firm! :woo:

Took less than a week for Edinburgh to revise my sent in proof of qualifications.. Finally I can just sit back and wait for the day..

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 12, 2009
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.