Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kjc_us)
    French and German for me. And as an outside subject I'm looking at doing European History. I wanted to take up Italian but I think 3 languages will be too much and I do want to have a life! Especially given all those societies I want to join. :p: The Introduction to the EU also looks really interesting but I'm really rubbish at economic-y stuff and I think I'd struggle with that aspect, which apparently makes up a fair bit of the course....
    Ooh very interesting! Im thinking Archaeology and maybe French for my outside subjects, and i want to join loads of societies too!! Im just soooooo anxious to be there I just want to ldo everything to be honest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by massive bender)
    hey all

is anyone out there like my buddy still waiting for their decisions for history (V100)? cos he's been waiting for baaaaaaaaaaaaaaare long times now. this is serious, by the way. anyone? for other subjects as well? and if you got history offers, when did you get them?

also, can i give a shout out to my homy 5 pints chunder "why don't you kiss it" dougiemacs, you know who you are

i'm still waiting, bloody terrified, want an offer sooooooo badly

ReputationRep:
    I have just firmed Edinburgh :woo:
    Seems that it is difficult to change to English lit & Philosophy at the end of year 2 (1 in 4 chance) but not impossible, and it's based on merit so it will give me something to aspire to haha.
    If it all goes horribly wrong and I don't hate English lit by then, I'll transfer to a good uni in Germany (Heidelberg probably, or FU or HU Berlin) since they don't seem to be as fussed as British unis when it comes to students transferring into higher years/semesters.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh bloody SAAS. Said I would be able to sign up for student finance and all that from 1st April. Now they've changed it and I can't do it until the 20th. Grrr. I just want to get it done!

ReputationRep:
    I've kind of started revising too, but I'm pretty darn lazy tonight
    I'm off up to the Burgh next week to spend five days with friendlies and boyfriend who I haven't seen in 7 weeks, yayyy!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    I so do NOT want to miss my offer :nn:
    Your going to Edinburgh?!??! This just made my evening. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    Your going to Edinburgh?!??! This just made my evening. :woo:
    WHAY?

ReputationRep:
    WHAY?
    I am genuinely excited, you applying for halls?

ReputationRep:
    I am genuinely excited, you applying for halls?
    Yeah I am though, are you already there or what? I'm going catered.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I am though, are you already there or what? I'm going catered.
    I'm going in September 2009 so I'll be a fresher.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going in September 2009 so I'll be a fresher.
    Same!
    Were you born in 1988? (from your username?)

ReputationRep:
    Same!
    Were you born in 1988? (from your username?)
    Nope 1990, so I'll be going in at 18 soon to be 19.

ReputationRep:
    application status went blank, no fee status thing though...

looks like i'll be getting my 4th rejection then, great.

ReputationRep:
    Ah :nn: I was hoping you'd be old, as I'll be turning 20 almost as soon as I get there. Which accomodation, what subject, etc.?
    I turned 20 on Freshers' Week and didn't feel old at all. There really isn't much difference between an 18-year-old and someone who's 20. Sometimes I feel like people my age are more immature than some 17-year-olds. Although having said that, I'm guaranteed to feel ancient in September when the new 17-year-old Scottish freshers come to uni and I turn 22 and am only on my third year. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not TOO worried - I take AS Psychology and so I'm in a class with a lot of 16 year olds and they're not immature at all (well, the girls certainly aren't, some of the boys are though). It's just I'm worried that if I meet someone (male) and then I find out he's 17 and I'm 20, I'm going to be a bit :lolwut:

Haha, I feel your pain. I know age is just a number and all, but it'd still feel a bit funny at first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elisabethbridge)
    I turned 20 on Freshers' Week and didn't feel old at all. There really isn't much difference between an 18-year-old and someone who's 20. Sometimes I feel like people my age are more immature than some 17-year-olds. Although having said that, I'm guaranteed to feel ancient in September when the new 17-year-old Scottish freshers come to uni and I turn 22 and am only on my third year. :rolleyes:
    Do many Scottish kids go at 17? I was under the impression that most waited 'til they were 18..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teaandcake-please)
    Do many Scottish kids go at 17? I was under the impression that most waited 'til they were 18..
    I'll still be 17 when I go, depends on birthdays and whether you take a gap year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teaandcake-please)
    Most turn 18 in the year they start university, so those whose birthdays are before September will be 18, the rest will be 18 by the end of February.

ReputationRep:
    Oh here you worry about a year or two older... I'll be 23 when I start this September :zomg:.

I felt pretty old when I went to the open day but on the other hand quite a few of the 18-years old were pretty mature after all and we could have perfectly normal chats without thinking how old we really were.

17-19 is, I suppose, the "threshold" where most people go from being and behaving like kids to being and behaving like adults. Still I know "adults" that still behave like kids and vice versa.

I'm sure it'll be just fine, I try not to think about it too much, I think that's the best thing to do when you meet your classmates too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonshine_1991)
    Most turn 18 in the year they start university, so those whose birthdays are before September will be 18, the rest will be 18 by the end of February.

Ohh, I didn't realise the academic year was different! I guess it starts in March then rather than September? Makes sense. I guess we'll just have a lot more 18th nights out then...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.