Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elli_emc)
    Edinburgh as my firm for History 09 entry... now to decide on accomodation!

Anyone else seriously excited?
    Yes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmacneil)
    I don't know who I spoke to, but they're being absolutely ridiculous. Firstly, I applied awhile ago, and they told me it wouldn't be much longer. Now they're telling me I need to provide them with an academic reference, even though they told me that because I am a nontraditional applicant that I could use an employer reference.

I'm still waiting on Glasgow too!
    That's unbelievable. Every university I applied to asked for my transcripts from my first university. Edinburgh has not even asked yet! I'm not sure why they're so slow and unprofessional (don't return emails, phone calls, etc.).

Good luck to you anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SquashPlaya)
    That's unbelievable. Every university I applied to asked for my transcripts from my first university. Edinburgh has not even asked yet! I'm not sure why they're so slow and unprofessional (don't return emails, phone calls, etc.).

Good luck to you anyway.
    I'm not 100% sure how it works at postgrad, but for undergrad you don't have to send off any certification or proof that you got the grades you said until after you've confirmed that you will accept the offer. I'm not sure how similar it is at post grad because I'll be applying as an internal student so they'll already have my transcript on file so I won't need to do anything here... I'm deciding on postgrad applications atm, it's so confusing!

I feel your sentiments on the contact front - I've been waiting for over a month for a reply from my DOS about something, then yesterday I recieved 2 emails from him on the same day!

ReputationRep:
    EXICTED!
    beyond belief!i'm only one of 8 ppl in my year not oging to belfast, and the only one for edinburgh! kinda scary, but at the same time i really can't wait!
    Also, I was confused, do we need to send GCSE/AS certificated to the uni to make the offer unconditional?? cos i couldnt find much info or an address!?

i'm doing english lit./history btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    I'm not 100% sure how it works at postgrad, but for undergrad you don't have to send off any certification or proof that you got the grades you said until after you've confirmed that you will accept the offer. I'm not sure how similar it is at post grad because I'll be applying as an internal student so they'll already have my transcript on file so I won't need to do anything here... I'm deciding on postgrad applications atm, it's so confusing!

I feel your sentiments on the contact front - I've been waiting for over a month for a reply from my DOS about something, then yesterday I recieved 2 emails from him on the same day!
    I'm actually applying for LLB as grad entrant; undergrad degree but as a grad because I already have a BA in political science. For the same program, Cambridge, U/L QM, Glasgow, all asked for my earlier transcript. I'm not sure what Edinburgh is going to do!

At least your DOS applied. Better late than never! Best of luck to you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually applying for LLB as grad entrant; undergrad degree but as a grad because I already have a BA in political science. For the same program, Cambridge, U/L QM, Glasgow, all asked for my earlier transcript. I'm not sure what Edinburgh is going to do!

At least your DOS applied. Better late than never! Best of luck to you.
    Ah ok, cool... I'm seriously considering applying for the LLB grad entry for 2010 start - I need to finish this degree first though which is proving a challenge right now. How come you've applied for both English and Scots Law? I was told I should decide which I wanted to do prior to applying.
    Edinburgh are weird, they don't really go in for the whole communication thing and then when they do you get loads of info at once... its sort of like waiting for busses, it all comes at once!

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering whether anyone here goes to or is going to Edinburgh uni to do Business studies or combined honours in business. And if they could tell me what A levels/ Highers they did??? (or are doing)/

Thank you, all replies would be much appreciated..

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine!
    As you're studying education it'll mean that you're with the same people all day every day, which will make it easier to get a bond with people rather than the 'regular' degree students as here, you're only with the same people for 33% of the time and might only see them once a week. But you won't have this problem as the education students tend to stay together and form close friendships as they see each other a lot, sort of like the medics. My flatmate in first year did primary education and her entire friendship group was made up of education students, same as our medic flatmate, whereas my friends tend to come from all over the place.

You might also want to consider joining societies so that you've got another group of people outside of your course. A lot of them have special events in freshers week for you to try them out. Make sure you get involved in the events in freshers week - loads of people go to them alone so its not like if you don't have flatmates there is no point in going as the whole point is to meet people and make friends!

I think the friendship circles at Edinburgh are slightly different than at other universities, possibly because we're not a campus university. Yes for some people their main group of friends is from their accommodation but for other people, its from courses/socities/work. There are some current students on here who say they weren't really friends with their flatmates in first year at all, whereas I have continued to live with mine each year (I'm now 3rd year) but I was just very lucky as this is abnormal. It's basically how the cookie crumbles, even if you lived in university accommodation you might not like or get on with the people you live with so it doesn't mean you're automatically going to have best friends for life through your flatmates.
    Thanks a lot! I feel a lot better now.

I was thinking of joining the Gilbert & Sullivan Society because I'm in the one that's in my home town, but I don't know much information yet, and I thought that it might be quite difficult for me to attend if I'm going home all the time especially if my class is in the morning and the society gets together in the evening or something. Basically, I thought societies were better suited to students staying in Edinburgh, but I guess I'll figure that out later! ;P
    I take it I can still go along to this fresher week stuff even though I'm going home every night because there's more to do in the daytime? I hadn't been so sure about fresher's week because the only thing I've heard from people around me is that 'IT'S THE BEST WEEK OF UNI EVER!' and people go and get drunk every night which I'm not too fond of because I'm teetotal basically. I'll just go along for the day and do some activities and whatnot but I'll not bother with the rest of it.

Thanks for explaining, by the way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FruitFaerie)
    Thanks a lot! I feel a lot better now.

I was thinking of joining the Gilbert & Sullivan Society because I'm in the one that's in my home town, but I don't know much information yet, and I thought that it might be quite difficult for me to attend if I'm going home all the time especially if my class is in the morning and the society gets together in the evening or something. Basically, I thought societies were better suited to students staying in Edinburgh, but I guess I'll figure that out later! ;P
    I take it I can still go along to this fresher week stuff even though I'm going home every night because there's more to do in the daytime? I hadn't been so sure about fresher's week because the only thing I've heard from people around me is that 'IT'S THE BEST WEEK OF UNI EVER!' and people go and get drunk every night which I'm not too fond of because I'm teetotal basically. I'll just go along for the day and do some activities and whatnot but I'll not bother with the rest of it.

Thanks for explaining, by the way!
    Gilbert and Sullivan is the Savoy Opera one isn't it? Two of my flatmates from last year are heavily involved in that - when they've got a performance on they rehearse a lot at the weekends and just whenever they can really! Socities tend to meet in the evening yes, but as your doing education your timetable will probably have more contact time than most people so you'll be around all day for classes, then you'll quickly meet people in societies who you can go to their flats in the evening for dinner before a meeting, or just meet other friends for coffee in town.

There is absolutely loads of freshers stuff happening in the day time - loads and loads, and we missed most of the good stuff as we didn't know it had happened until we read the book afterwards. All of the socities organise things (which are sometimes fun to go to even if you've got no intention of joining the society, and you might be pleasanly surprised) as well as loads of other events put on by the freshers week team. You might find you meet people in the day who invite you back to stay at theirs overnight if you did want to go out (not all of the evening events are drunken things either) as everyone is so egar to make friends. We had stay at home students staying in our kitchen in freshers week!

Also... Freshers week is not the big thing it is made out to be in my opinion. Yeah it was good but it was not the best week I've had at uni and certainly wasn't all it was made out to be - it's surreal as everyone tries to be best friends with people they met 3 days previously. I was drunk a fair bit but it wasn't enjoyable as you're with people who are nigh on strangers at the end of the day! A lot of people say freshers weeks are better in the later years as then you've got your friends and know where to go, I don't know about that as I've never been in Edinburgh over freshers for the last 2 years. Not sure if I will be this year either!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockingreviser)
    Just wondering whether anyone here goes to or is going to Edinburgh uni to do Business studies or combined honours in business. And if they could tell me what A levels/ Highers they did??? (or are doing)/

Thank you, all replies would be much appreciated..
    Hi I am going to do Business Studies with Accounts, I did higher Maths, Business Management, Economics, Physics and Accounts and did Advanced Higher Accounts, Business and Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok, cool... I'm seriously considering applying for the LLB grad entry for 2010 start - I need to finish this degree first though which is proving a challenge right now. How come you've applied for both English and Scots Law? I was told I should decide which I wanted to do prior to applying.
    Edinburgh are weird, they don't really go in for the whole communication thing and then when they do you get loads of info at once... its sort of like waiting for busses, it all comes at once!
    That's a great analogy! Late busses do come all at once. I want to do an LLB, then LLM and finally a Ph.D in International Law, focus on jurisdiction. I like Edinburgh and Glasgow and would be happy at either. Already done the Cambridge thing but applied because I live there. Just wish Edinburgh make a decision so I can move on!

What's your first degree in? Must say hello if I see you in Edinburgh!

ReputationRep:
    That's a great analogy! Late busses do come all at once. I want to do an LLB, then LLM and finally a Ph.D in International Law, focus on jurisdiction. I like Edinburgh and Glasgow and would be happy at either. Already done the Cambridge thing but applied because I live there. Just wish Edinburgh make a decision so I can move on!

What's your first degree in? Must say hello if I see you in Edinburgh!
    Wow you've got it all planned out then!! I've got as far as researching possible options as procrastination from my dissertation. Fun times. Glasgow is a really cool city too, it was my insurance choice for undergrad. Where did you do your undergrad at?

My current degree is anthropology and development - I am moving full time into the library for 4th year the rate it is going... or not going as the case may be so that is where I'll be found next year! Have you already graduated or is that on the cards for this year?

ReputationRep:
    Heyyy people be an Edinburgh student Sep 09 was wondering what people though of
    Darroch
    hermits croft
    new arthurs place

ano its the people u live with that make the experience but generally good place to live for socializing and banter????

ReputationRep:
    Anybody going to be doing Community Education 2009????

ReputationRep:
    There is a loooooon thread about accom here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=755610 You should read everything and you'll find 100000000 informations about what you wanna know !

I applied at :
    1. New Arthur Place
    2. Robertson's Close
    3. Kincaid's Court

Warrender park road/crescent looked cool, but too isolated (is "isolated" a real word ? O_o).
    I said I was non-smoker (true) and that I was okay for mixed-gender flat (true) or smoking flatmates (well. Not so true, but I won't die if I am with smoking people), so I think I have the greatest chances to have one of my choices (moreover, I'm exchange student, and I think we get our flats before "normal" students)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Der_Kaiser)
    I'm from the states and I'm just saying that even though I applied before January 15, ucas tells me that international students could be made to wait until june for an offer. But, hopefully that's only the worst case scenario as edinburgh is the last offer I'm waiting on.
    Hi. Just wondered, any word from Edinburgh on your front? I'm still waiting.

ReputationRep:
    Wow you've got it all planned out then!! I've got as far as researching possible options as procrastination from my dissertation. Fun times. Glasgow is a really cool city too, it was my insurance choice for undergrad. Where did you do your undergrad at?

My current degree is anthropology and development - I am moving full time into the library for 4th year the rate it is going... or not going as the case may be so that is where I'll be found next year! Have you already graduated or is that on the cards for this year?
    An anthropologist! I had 4 mates, all anthropologists and squashies. Good people.

I went to university in America, studied politics and graduated a LONG time ago. After working for many years, I'm looking forward to moving with my best mate (wife) and bestest mate (son) to Scotland soon to finally study law!

How about you? You graduate next year, Oxy?

ReputationRep:
    An anthropologist! I had 4 mates, all anthropologists and squashies. Good people.

I went to university in America, studied politics and graduated a LONG time ago. After working for many years, I'm looking forward to moving with my best mate (wife) and bestest mate (son) to Scotland soon to finally study law!

How about you? You graduate next year, Oxy?
    That's because we rock the world... no one understands what we study so it makes us specical! Yeah I'm in my 3rd year, I graduate next summer.

So you're moving over to Scotland from the US, or are you living elsewhere in the UK at the minute? Cool stuff... hopefully your wife and son will like it here too, there is lots going on in Edinburgh and Glasgow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    Is anyone here doing something to do with Biology? :sad:
    Im doing biological sciences (infectious diseases C590)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nelien)
    Oh here you worry about a year or two older... I'll be 23 when I start this September :zomg:.

I felt pretty old when I went to the open day but on the other hand quite a few of the 18-years old were pretty mature after all and we could have perfectly normal chats without thinking how old we really were.

17-19 is, I suppose, the "threshold" where most people go from being and behaving like kids to being and behaving like adults. Still I know "adults" that still behave like kids and vice versa.

I'm sure it'll be just fine, I try not to think about it too much, I think that's the best thing to do when you meet your classmates too.
    SECONDED! I am also the grand old age of 23 starting my first year! turning 24 in the feb! Possibly a little daunting as to peoples perceptions but then I have done quite a lot in the time between leaving school and starting uni.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.