Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Am I sad going on ESPC looking for accommodation for 2nd year when I've not even started first... :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    when i looked at the summary of my application, it read...

Total Tuition Fee Loan Available £1820.00
    Total Tuition Fee Loan Requested Loan Request Form has not been completed

what does that mean? that i haven't completed the form because i definitely answered all the questions etc. i'm so confused, have i completely messed up the application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lia_s)
    what does that mean? that i haven't completed the form because i definitely answered all the questions etc. i'm so confused, have i completely messed up the application?
    It looks like you've filled out the form incorrectly and somewhere said that you don't want money for tuition fees. Not to worry. If you ring the jolly people at Student Finances they'll confirm what's right and wrong (and if all is as it seems you'll just need to fill out another short form requesting the tuition fees loan). So grab your phone and sort it out...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    Am I sad going on ESPC looking for accommodation for 2nd year when I've not even started first... :tongue:
    it's always good to be prepared!!

ESPC and all of the other sites are my life at the moment... I'm homeless come July.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    it's always good to be prepared!!

ESPC and all of the other sites are my life at the moment... I'm homeless come July.
    It's really complicated though as there are so many areas and different properties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    It's really complicated though as there are so many areas and different properties.
    HMOs are the bane of existence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lia_s)
    when i looked at the summary of my application, it read...

Total Tuition Fee Loan Available £1820.00
    Total Tuition Fee Loan Requested Loan Request Form has not been completed

I did the same as you!
    Don't panic. I spent half an hour queuing on the phone to student finance and they just said go on the direct.gov.uk website, go on the student loans bit (but not the log in section) and download, print off, fill and send off the loan request forms =]

all that happened is you forgot to tick a box (which i still don't belief exists!)

ReputationRep:
    I've got an offer to do international relations (undergraduate) at edinburgh but have a few questions;

Is the teaching any good?
    Is the sport good? It seems as though it's really good for people who are good a sport but not so great for those who aren't brilliant. Am I right in thinking this?

ReputationRep:
    Hey there! I applied in March and I'm still in wait to hear back! I applied to the MSc Sound Design program. So far, from reading these posts, I haven't come across anyone who's applied for this degree.

Anyone on here know anyone who has, or is already, or has graduated from it? Anyone here still not heard back yet?

ReputationRep:
    Right I have some questions obout outside courses. The university website is seriously not overly helpful! I'm taking english lit and history, which I presume count for 40 points each!? which means I have 40 more points to make up. I thought I could do two courses worth 20 points but all I can see are worth 40? with a 20 points module in each semester! I really wanted to doo italian but I think I'll just use the language centre. Right now I'm between doing politics and social anthropology for my outside 40 point course! I could really use some opinions if anyones doing these courses in edinburgh atm! I do politics for A level and absolutely love it but hear that the first year course is very bad and boring, especially for those who have studied it! I've also heard the social anthropology course is amazing.

One last query, is it possible say to do social anthropology in first year, then do politics in second year as my outside course when it might be more interesting??

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eadaoin)
    One last query, is it possible say to do social anthropology in first year, then do politics in second year as my outside course when it might be more interesting??
    You definitely can't do that. With a different subject it might be allowed but Politics doesn't let people onto their course like that. If you're interested in taking it, try and get on the first year course whilst you are in first year - it is so oversubscribed that that is the only shot you have at it. Even as a first year it is difficult to get onto, they are limited to taking 350 people and are oversubscribed, people are turned away from the course. (Anth. is similarly over-subscribed so again it's try for first year or never).

ReputationRep:
    Right I have some questions obout outside courses. The university website is seriously not overly helpful! I'm taking english lit and history, which I presume count for 40 points each!? which means I have 40 more points to make up. I thought I could do two courses worth 20 points but all I can see are worth 40? with a 20 points module in each semester! I really wanted to doo italian but I think I'll just use the language centre. Right now I'm between doing politics and social anthropology for my outside 40 point course! I could really use some opinions if anyones doing these courses in edinburgh atm! I do politics for A level and absolutely love it but hear that the first year course is very bad and boring, especially for those who have studied it! I've also heard the social anthropology course is amazing.

Thanks
    http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/08-09/dpts/HSS_FINAL/157.html

So you've got 40 credits of Lit, 40 credits of History. The history and lit courses are full year courses, meaning you get 40 credits and have to do it for the full year. In other subjects (politics and anth being two of them) the course is made up of 2 20 credit courses, 1 for each semester, and you can either take them both or just take one. You just need to look on timetab and then see whether the course is worth 20 or 40. As a guide, if it is called 1A this means the course is in semester 1 and is 20 credits, if it is called 1B it is semester two, and 20 credits. If it is called 1 it is for the full year and is 40 credits like your history and lit.

I study anthropology as my actual degree, and I've taken politics courses. If you want to know anything about anth just ask me - I'm a 3rd year. The social anth course has now drastically changed from when I took it (they revamped the course for the 07 starters) and a lot of people who I know who took it in the years after me didn't really enjoy it as much as I did. I really love anth and especially enjoyed the first year course but it seems that opinions have changed with the introduction of the new course which is why I am relucant to give you advice. If you choose social history as your history module I'd really reccomend anth - my flatmate does joint honours anth and soc hist, and really really loves it. The two seem to complement each other so much and I really wish I'd taken social history.

Politics - I've not heard anything bad about it really. They've really put their ass in gear this year because of the problems with the reviews last year and I think a really positive thing has come out of it. The teaching is amazing (as is anth) and in SPS they are certainly the kinds of subjects where you get out of them as much as you put in. On the surface I guess they can appear boring if you don't do the readings or really get into the topics, but if you put in the work and do the readings you'll really enjoy it.

I don't think you can take politics as an outside course in second year because its really really popular so they only give the option to first years, but I could be wrong. In 2nd year in semester 2 all of the SPS courses combine and you take 2 courses which everyone does regardless of whether you're coming from a anth, politics, sociology, criminology, IR etc perspective. You wouldn't be able to take them as you'd be obligated to take your Lit and History courses already leaving only 1 slot spare in semester two, meaning you couldn't fit in 2 courses for SPS.

Don't get too hung up on this now as anth and politics are both very very popular outside subjects, meaning there is a chance you might end up having to choose something else anyway or only having the option of joining one of the courses.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both so much, very very helpful! One last thing, do you need to apply for modules before you go in september, or do it all with the director of studies,etc when you get there in september?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both so much, very very helpful! One last thing, do you need to apply for modules before you go in september, or do it all with the director of studies,etc when you get there in september?
    when you get there in freshers week.

see the post i've just written on outside courses for more details.

ReputationRep:
    I've just firmed Edinburgh for Molecular Biology (second year entry) :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Hey there .... I've applied and been accepted !! Woohoo ... Edinburgh is my 1st choice and I need a BBB. I'm majorly excited about next year but well nervous.

Any other International Students? I'm from Dubai ... a desert baby so the cold is a terrifying prospect haha. :eek:

Also any other Business Economics Students?

Now the question of accomadation:
    1. Chacellors Court
    2. John Burnett Hall

... anyone elsee applied to these?

Looking forward to seeing you all next year :yep:

:woo: Sherazade :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Just got an e-mail from Edinburgh saying that they can't offer me a place this year but I could re-apply next year if I take a gap year and a couple more highers, so I guess I will be going to Aberdeen then.

ReputationRep:
    Hey there recent applicants! I'm still waiting to hear back about my application to the graduate program for sound design. I applied back in March. Is it normal that I haven't heard back yet?!!

I'll be coming from California and I need proper notice to move to another country - I'm soooooo nervous!

Perhaps there are others on here still waiting to hear back - possibly for the same program?!

Christopher:eek:

ReputationRep:
    perhaps there are others on here still waiting to hear back?!?! Maybe there are others like me who are waiting to hear back about a Masters program?! Maybe even the Sound Design MSc?!?!

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Ive been accepted into the 2nd year of the social work course in Edinburgh. Im in trinity college in ireland now and was just wondering what people think of moving into the 2nd year?
    People will already have formed their relationships in my class etc and I was just wondering who thinks this is a really stupid idea? lol...Kinda scared and havent made my mind up yet but any information would be reaaallllyyy appreciated! :=)

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 12, 2009
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.