Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just an email that I've been awarded the University of Edinburgh Undergraduate USA Scholarship.

SWEET BUSINESS.

ReputationRep:
    I GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :confused: :eek3: :eek3:

I'll be starting the MSc Sound Design courses in Sep.

goodbye sunny California, hello cold U.K!

Christopher

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kemster)
    Hey,

Ive been accepted into the 2nd year of the social work course in Edinburgh. Im in trinity college in ireland now and was just wondering what people think of moving into the 2nd year?
    People will already have formed their relationships in my class etc and I was just wondering who thinks this is a really stupid idea? lol...Kinda scared and havent made my mind up yet but any information would be reaaallllyyy appreciated! :=)
    Hello, I'm in the same boat as you, albeit for a drastically different subject (Molecular Biology). I was equally apprehensive about starting from the second year as well, but quite a few TSR members (who are current students) assured me that this is unlikely to cause any problems, socially or academically. Socially because second years and first years have classes together (since we're fulfilling core classes) and academically since the uni deemed you good enough for second year!

Take a look at this page (quite unrelated) but FTC199 talks about this. If you have other questions, why not PM current students, they're all very helpful :-)

Edit: Forgot to add the link. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post18520733

ReputationRep:
    I've firmed a conditional offer for Italian and History starting this year.

I'm trying to sort out my student finance but I can't find any information about how much fees are at Edinburgh. Can anyone help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eldenv)
    I'm trying to sort out my student finance but I can't find any information about how much fees are at Edinburgh. Can anyone help?
    It's this easy.

ReputationRep:
    unconditional firm for Civil and environmental engineering

ReputationRep:
    How strict is edinburgh about not meeting your offer?

For example, if your offer is 5,5,5 at HL, and then 5 for a specified SL subject (for IB), if you dont meet the SL condition, but exceed the HL one, would they still consider you?

ReputationRep:
    hi all!
    well done for all those who have conditional/unconditional offers for edinburgh, i'll hopefully see you all in september! and for those who are still waiting, good luck!!
    i didnt get in last year, as they didnt think id get the grades, but i did, took a gap year and got an unconditional for Biology so there are other ways to get into the uni of your choice!
    gap years are amazing too, id totally recomend doing one!
    i was just wondering what sort of preparations are you guys doing for going to uni, do you think il need to go over my old notes?? is the best way to meet other freshers through TSR?
    any info would be great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskerade)
    How strict is edinburgh about not meeting your offer?

For example, if your offer is 5,5,5 at HL, and then 5 for a specified SL subject (for IB), if you dont meet the SL condition, but exceed the HL one, would they still consider you?
    Edinburgh's really strict about the offers. In most of the cases, they won't accept you unless you meet all of the requirements they've set you, as they get a lot of applications and a lot of people who actually meet the offer.

(Original post by Chrissy_boy)
    hi all!
    well done for all those who have conditional/unconditional offers for edinburgh, i'll hopefully see you all in september! and for those who are still waiting, good luck!!
    i didnt get in last year, as they didnt think id get the grades, but i did, took a gap year and got an unconditional for Biology so there are other ways to get into the uni of your choice!
    gap years are amazing too, id totally recomend doing one!
    i was just wondering what sort of preparations are you guys doing for going to uni, do you think il need to go over my old notes?? is the best way to meet other freshers through TSR?
    any info would be great
    For biology, if you're doing first year entry, you don't have to worry about the academic side of things. First year's easy. If you're doing 2nd year entry, I'd recommend going through your notes, as it'll probably easier for you to adjust to uni, especially as you've had a gap year. The best way to meet other freshers is when you get here, in your accom., societies, sports clubs and your course. If you're talking about meeting people on the internet, then TSR is probably quite good for that. And also, the Facebook group for next years freshers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elisabethbridge)
    Edinburgh's really strict about the offers. In most of the cases, they won't accept you unless you meet all of the requirements they've set you, as they get a lot of applications and a lot of people who actually meet the offer.
    Ok. Another question: lets say, hypothetically, I got an email from the admissions person of a course I wasn't applying to, urging me to switch to another degree. Lets say I then get an offer from my original course, and forget about the email said admissions person sent to me.

Now, however, the offer for the admission persons course is lower than the one I currently have, is it possible to change this late?

ReputationRep:
    Ok. Another question: lets say, hypothetically, I got an email from the admissions person of a course I wasn't applying to, urging me to switch to another degree. Lets say I then get an offer from my original course, and forget about the email said admissions person sent to me.

Now, however, the offer for the admission persons course is lower than the one I currently have, is it possible to change this late?
    I don't understand what you're asking...

So you say what if one of the admissions tutors from Edinburgh randomly emailed you urging you to transfer onto their degree course from the one you've initially applied for? Then, you got an offer from Edinburgh for the course you've initially applied for so you didn't reply to the original message.

Yet now, you want to change to this other degree which the admissions tutor had emailed you about, instead of going with the one you already hold the offer for? Isn't the typical offer 555 at IB, with 34 points in total? Meaning if you don't expect to meet this offer then you can't expect to be admitted to the university at all.

I'm assuming that you do not hold an offer on UCAS for this other degree course you've been urged to switch to, meaning you can't just decide now that you want to take this course. If you do hold an offer via UCAS and it is within 14 days of you selecting your firm and insurance choices then you are still able to accept the offer for this other course by declining the other one, if it is later than 14 days then you can not do anything and you have lost your other offer(s).

Although I do not understand why - even hypothetically - you're suggesting that an admissions tutor would personally email you and try and persuade you to switch to their degree when you've applied for a different one...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    I don't understand what you're asking...

So you say what if one of the admissions tutors from Edinburgh randomly emailed you urging you to transfer onto their degree course from the one you've initially applied for? Then, you got an offer from Edinburgh for the course you've initially applied for so you didn't reply to the original message.

Yet now, you want to change to this other degree which the admissions tutor had emailed you about, instead of going with the one you already hold the offer for? Isn't the typical offer 555 at IB, with 34 points in total? Meaning if you don't expect to meet this offer then you can't expect to be admitted to the university at all.

I'm assuming that you do not hold an offer on UCAS for this other degree course you've been urged to switch to, meaning you can't just decide now that you want to take this course. If you do hold an offer via UCAS and it is within 14 days of you selecting your firm and insurance choices then you are still able to accept the offer for this other course by declining the other one, if it is later than 14 days then you can not do anything and you have lost your other offer(s).

Although I do not understand why - even hypothetically - you're suggesting that an admissions tutor would personally email you and try and persuade you to switch to their degree when you've applied for a different one...
    No, you've got it absolutely right. I said hypothetically because it didnt happen to me, but a friend of mine. He applied for mind and language, and apparently the admissions tutor for Linguistics saw his personal statement, and urged him to consider Linguistics instead. Then he got an offer for Mind and Language, and forgot all about it. Thing is, the standard offer is 34 points with 555 at HL. However, Mind and language also requires a 5 in math SL, which my friend is a little bit pessimistic about.

His reasoning (and mine, I suppose) is that he has already been accepted to the university for the course he applied to, and seeing as someone actually did contact him from the linguistics department urging him to switch, and he might thus be able to switch.

I realize my first post was a little bit ambiguous, hopefully this one is a little more clear. My english is a little bit off today :/

ReputationRep:
    No, you've got it absolutely right. I said hypothetically because it didnt happen to me, but a friend of mine. He applied for mind and language, and apparently the admissions tutor for Linguistics saw his personal statement, and urged him to consider Linguistics instead. Then he got an offer for Mind and Language, and forgot all about it. Thing is, the standard offer is 34 points with 555 at HL. However, Mind and language also requires a 5 in math SL, which my friend is a little bit pessimistic about.

His reasoning (and mine, I suppose) is that he has already been accepted to the university for the course he applied to, and seeing as someone actually did contact him from the linguistics department urging him to switch, and he might thus be able to switch.

I realize my first post was a little bit ambiguous, hopefully this one is a little more clear. My english is a little bit off today :/
    The mind and language course is the same as the linguistics one, at least in first and second year anyway. You also take philosophy if I remember correctly, but by the most part, from the language point of view, you literally take the same courses as the linguistics students. This means if your friend decided that they wanted to just study linguistics, they will be able to swap their degree with no problem at the end of first or second year and continue with just linguistics, leaving behind the philosophy. I study linguistics if he wants to know anything in particular.

However this would be all on the basis of him meeting the mind and language offer in the first place. As he wasn't actually offered a place via UCAS for the linguistics course it isn't an offer per se but I suppose he could recontact the person from linguistics who sent him the email (who was it btw, out of interest?) and then ask if he is able to transfer to just linguistics before september. But they'd probably just say that he should meet his original offer and they'll sort it out when he arrives as it's pretty late in the day now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    The mind and language course is the same as the linguistics one, at least in first and second year anyway. You also take philosophy if I remember correctly, but by the most part, from the language point of view, you literally take the same courses as the linguistics students. This means if your friend decided that they wanted to just study linguistics, they will be able to swap their degree with no problem at the end of first or second year and continue with just linguistics, leaving behind the philosophy. I study linguistics if he wants to know anything in particular.

However this would be all on the basis of him meeting the mind and language offer in the first place. As he wasn't actually offered a place via UCAS for the linguistics course it isn't an offer per se but I suppose he could recontact the person from linguistics who sent him the email (who was it btw, out of interest?) and then ask if he is able to transfer to just linguistics before september. But they'd probably just say that he should meet his original offer and they'll sort it out when he arrives as it's pretty late in the day now.
    Ok thanks alot for the info . I don't know the name of the person, unfortunately.

I think my friend will email the admissions tutor and hope for the best (seeing as the if he IS able to change, which you've made me rather sceptical about, he wont have to worry about his math grade anymore). Otherwise he just has to hope for the best I suppose.

One last question (well, before I think of another one): are the language courses generally quite competitive? I read that Spanish 1A only takes 50 students, so finding a place might be hard, but is it generally the same for all languages? I'd very much like to learn a language, but I'm thinking I might have to do it outside of the university.

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I was just wondering where the majority of Physics, Maths and Engineering courses are taught in 2nd and 3rd year, are they mostly at George Square or at Kings Buildings?

I read somewhere that the KB's are the eng/science buildings, but somewhere else said only once you get to like 4th year.... is this true?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    In first year lectures generally take place in Appleton Tower, not precisely sure where now but I lived in LT4 mostly! Labs will still take place in KB, you can catch a bus down there from outside the George Square Neuroscience building, or walk it. It's handy because a lot of people will be in Pollock Halls, and that's not far from George Square.

2nd year onwards should be at KB, Physics and Maths in JCMB (James Clerk Maxwell Building). Engineering all over the shop, they seem to hate us (but probably in Sanderson/Hudson Beare Building). I think that covers Phys/Maths/Eng, hope that helps somewhat

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I was just wondering if anyone knows what day Freshers week starts this September??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green_tea)
    Hi,
    I was just wondering if anyone knows what day Freshers week starts this September??
    I believe it starts the 14th.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just wondering if anyway knows the address that i have to send my information for a clearance check - i seen it on the site before with a link to a downloadable front cover but can't find it again :\
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    so I'm hopefully off to Edinburgh uni after my gap year to do English and History. Does anyone go there or know someone who does? I haven't actually heard anything first hand of what it's like being there! (I am NOT looking forward to being cold!)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.