Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    If my family live in Edinburgh I won't be able to get accomodation will I?
    If you go to a LEAPS group 1 school I believe you are guaranteed accommodation, if not if you live within Edinburgh then you can still apply for it, but you are not guaranteed uni accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjames06)
    If you go to a LEAPS group 1 school I believe you are guaranteed accommodation, if not if you live within Edinburgh then you can still apply for it, but you are not guaranteed uni accommodation.
    I guess Group 2 schools don't count in that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    I guess Group 2 schools don't count in that?
    To be honest, I have no idea :p:

To be sure, you could e-mail accom services and ask about the eligibility criteria.

ReputationRep:
    You won't get in with anything less than BBB - they're notoriously strict on it from what I've seen over the last few years, and I'll be entering 4th year next year. If you don't achieve BBB then I'd put a lot of money on the fact that they won't let you in as I've not really seen anyone on TSR be accepted after missing an offer over the last few years and I don't know anyone here. ABC is not the same as BBB, and ACC certainly is not. Edinburgh give out low offers given the standard of the applications they recieve and their rankings, but because of this, there is little leeway if you fail to meet the grades on results day.

Keep at it, work really hard in your exams now and do all you can. That's all you can do, and then wait. I was convinced I'd missed my offer too but it all turned out okay and I exceeded it by a fair amount, but this time 3 years ago I was in a similar position to you. Don't give up, you never know what can happen.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah he's right. I have been offered BBB for Business and Accountancy, but have only managed a ABC for my A levels. Although my attempts in appealing to the admissions office have resulted only in rejection emails, I was eventually offered a place via UCAS track. Its definitely worth a shot!

ReputationRep:
    HEY, im going to edinburgh in september to study archtiecture
    very excited!!
    does anyone know what the term dates are,
    and what week freshers week is?
    cheers, greg

ReputationRep:
    Unconditional! Woop

ReputationRep:
    Just received my IELTS results soooo I'm definitely going yaaaay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greg3030)
    and what week freshers week is?
    cheers, greg
    freshers starts on the 14th of sept and lectures a week after that

ReputationRep:
    A quick question... I was rummaging through the student union website, and quite a few student societies caught my eye. By that I mean something in the vicinity of 9-10. How many do new students join on an average? Also, can one join a society in the middle of the university year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Violettes)
    A quick question... I was rummaging through the student union website, and quite a few student societies caught my eye. By that I mean something in the vicinity of 9-10. How many do new students join on an average? Also, can one join a society in the middle of the university year?
    I suppose the average would be 1-4. But people often stick with just one or two they get involved in properly, and are enthusiastic about. There's only so much time you can have for different things. Of course you can join in the middle of the year, any time of the year really. It's just slightly more effort getting into the society socially speaking as people have already formed a group and everyone knows each other, but don't be put off by that. Generally speaking societies always welcome new members and people are always keen to get to know new people. Or at least that's how it's in our club.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elisabethbridge)
    I suppose the average would be 1-4. But people often stick with just one or two they get involved in properly, and are enthusiastic about. There's only so much time you can have for different things. Of course you can join in the middle of the year, any time of the year really. It's just slightly more effort getting into the society socially speaking as people have already formed a group and everyone knows each other, but don't be put off by that. Generally speaking societies always welcome new members and people are always keen to get to know new people. Or at least that's how it's in our club.

Is there a LGBT society?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aquarian)
    Is there a LGBT society?
    find out for yourself

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else get a letter for the student card, need to find a photo and glue! They're so awkward!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elisabethbridge)
    Thanks

(Original post by Aquarian)
    Is there a LGBT society?
    I believe so - http://www.blogs.org.uk/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Violettes)

I believe so - http://www.blogs.org.uk/

Thanx :*

ReputationRep:
    Just got sent an unconditional offer for direct entry to 3rd year of Computer Science. Anyone know when the year starts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    Anyone else get a letter for the student card, need to find a photo and glue! They're so awkward!
    :yep:

Annoying, I know.. And I have to take a UK-specific photo which costs like £10 here in Sweden.. :s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nelien)

Annoying, I know.. And I have to take a UK-specific photo which costs like £10 here in Sweden.. :s:
    I wouldn't bother Nelien. For my ID card I got a family member to take my photograph against a white background in proper daylight, printed it on photo paper and submitted it. They were fine with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nelien)

I wouldn't bother sending them one at all - I sent mine off and then they lost it, so were taking photos at the card collection place in freshers week of all of the people who's photos they'd lost, plus all of the people who forgot to send one in. Although this does mean that my uni card has an incredibly hungover photo on it...

Or just do what NHI suggests - that's all mine ended up being in the end!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.