Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainfaery)
    I am doing mathematical physics! What about you?

I am really hoping that the visa letter and stuff don't take too long, as I really do need my visa before the 24th of August....
    Nice I'm doing second year Molecular Biology.

Applying asap would be wise since we were told that they may be some delays thanks to the new points-based system. I'm just waiting for my accommodation offer and scholarship decision (I have a better chance of winning the roulette than getting it, but oh well...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Violettes)
    Nice I'm doing second year Molecular Biology.

Applying asap would be wise since we were told that they may be some delays thanks to the new points-based system. I'm just waiting for my accommodation offer and scholarship decision (I have a better chance of winning the roulette than getting it, but oh well...)
    I'm doing second year entry too. I'm hoping it won't be too hard to fit in with the people who've already done the first year...

What scholarship did you apply for? I found out almost two months ago about the US Students Scholarship! Actually, I am wondering if they will note that I have it in my visa letter, as it means I only have to pay 13000GBP as tuition, instead of 14000...Although, if I pay tuition in advance, it won't matter. :p: And, since I'm not living in university accommodation, this makes things easier as well.

Right now, it looks like 100% of visa applications in my area are processed in less than 10 days, so it's looking good, but we'll see. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing second year entry too. I'm hoping it won't be too hard to fit in with the people who've already done the first year...

What scholarship did you apply for? I found out almost two months ago about the US Students Scholarship! Actually, I am wondering if they will note that I have it in my visa letter, as it means I only have to pay 13000GBP as tuition, instead of 14000...Although, if I pay tuition in advance, it won't matter. :p: And, since I'm not living in university accommodation, this makes things easier as well.

Right now, it looks like 100% of visa applications in my area are processed in less than 10 days, so it's looking good, but we'll see. :p:
    Congrats on your scholarship! :yep: Gosh you must be clever They have a separate column for scholarships on the visa letter, so it would definitely be mentioned on yours.

I have applied for one open only to Indian undergrads worth 3000GBP. It's awarded to just 2 students, so the odds don't look good, to say the least.

I was initially quite apprehensive about the second year entry, to the point that I contemplated not accepting my offer. But I reckon loads of students do it, and most don't have any trouble, socially speaking. Besides, you'll always have fellow direct second years to hang out with.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on your scholarship! :yep: Gosh you must be clever They have a separate column for scholarships on the visa letter, so it would definitely be mentioned on yours.

I have applied for one open only to Indian undergrads worth 3000GBP. It's awarded to just 2 students, so the odds don't look good, to say the least.

I was initially quite apprehensive about the second year entry, to the point that I contemplated not accepting my offer. But I reckon loads of students do it, and most don't have any trouble, socially speaking. Besides, you'll always have fellow direct second years to hang out with.
    I don't think I'm that clever, really. I bet probably just a lot of people didn't apply for the scholarship. :p:

And 3000GBP! I am so jealous. The US scholarship was only for 1000GBP. I wish you luck in getting it! Do you know when you will find out?

I'm hoping that there will be several other second year people, and if not, hopefully I'll make friends from rowing. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'm that clever, really. I bet probably just a lot of people didn't apply for the scholarship. :p:

And 3000GBP! I am so jealous. The US scholarship was only for 1000GBP. I wish you luck in getting it! Do you know when you will find out?

I'm hoping that there will be several other second year people, and if not, hopefully I'll make friends from rowing. :p:
    To be one of the three chosen people is awesome nonetheless!

The website says mid-July... so next week I'm guessing
    Can't quite say I'm looking forward to it. And thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Woo! My offer became unconditional today because Edinburgh got my results!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh-roid)
    Woo! My offer became unconditional today because Edinburgh got my results!
    Congratulations! :bumps: Doesn't that feel great? :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nelien)
    Congratulations! :bumps: Doesn't that feel great? :yep:
    What accommodation have you chosen?

ReputationRep:
    My god it does, particularly as they rejected me first off (they realised they'd made a mistake).

In terms of accomodation I've gone for catered with Holland house as first choice. My other two choices are two of the generic ones like turner house or lee house.

ReputationRep:
    well, my offer has become unconditional:woo: and they told me that my visa letter was dispached yesterday.... do they send the welcome pack or whatever with the visa letter?

by the im from india and am joining the msc AI program:yep:

ReputationRep:
    I really hope my offer goes unconditional soon. I know one IB person had their offer go unconditional yesterday.

I hate waiting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    What accommodation have you chosen?
    I chose Warrender Park Road and ~ Crescent as first and second then Hermits Croft as third. I prefer peace and quiet with a little distance over central and active locations.

ReputationRep:
    So, I called Edinburgh, and they said they have my results! This is good. But I couldn't understand the rest of what the guy said. :p: He talked too fast!

But I think I get my unconditional soon, and a visa letter soon after!

ReputationRep:
    So, I called Edinburgh, and they said they have my results! This is good. But I couldn't understand the rest of what the guy said. :p: He talked too fast!

But I think I get my unconditional soon, and a visa letter soon after!
    Hahaha, that's hilarious :rofl:, I had the same problem once when I called the SAAS, had to tell her to repeat what she said like three times and in the end I just pretended I understood what she said :P, couldn't bear asking her again....

Anyway, congrats on your presumable unconditional :P.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nelien)
    Hahaha, that's hilarious :rofl:, I had the same problem once when I called the SAAS, had to tell her to repeat what she said like three times and in the end I just pretended I understood what she said :P, couldn't bear asking her again....

Anyway, congrats on your presumable unconditional :P.
    See, I was too embarrassed to ask for clarification in the first place, since English is my first language and all. :p: I just kept saying okay, and hoping he wasn't asking me anything! Although, now I am all curious, and wish I knew what he said....but I think I'm too embarrassed to call again! This is so why I hate phones!

ReputationRep:
    How do I know when I have done everything that needs to be done, what is matriculation? Do we get any sort of welcome pack?

ReputationRep:

I really find it hard to see the point in applying for a scholarship considering the fees us(international students) have to play is more like a mini investment grant.i.e:my fees are worth 60,000 gbp over 4 years.
    hope edinburgh uni lives up to its own hype of calling itself amongst the best unis in the world.

ReputationRep:
    How do I know when I have done everything that needs to be done, what is matriculation? Do we get any sort of welcome pack?
    I was given a link to the pre-arrival guide which covered everything - including dates for matriculation (which I think is when you register for classes and officially become a full-fledged student of the university). There might be a 'joining pack' available under 'links' on the 'my UG applications' page.

(Original post by student of the game)
    I really find it hard to see the point in applying for a scholarship considering the fees us(international students) have to play is more like a mini investment grant.i.e:my fees are worth 60,000 gbp over 4 years.
    hope edinburgh uni lives up to its own hype of calling itself amongst the best unis in the world.
    I know £1000 might seem like a drop in the ocean, but it is something. Besides, all we had to do was write a 200 word essay, hardly any trouble.

ReputationRep:
    I was given a link to the pre-arrival guide which covered everything - including dates for matriculation (which I think is when you register for classes and officially become a full-fledged student of the university). There might be a 'joining pack' available under 'links' on the 'my UG applications' page.

I know £1000 might seem like a drop in the ocean, but it is something. Besides, all we had to do was write a 200 word essay, hardly any trouble.
    Do you still have this link?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, through the post at the end of this month-ish. (If your a Scottish student you register/matriculate by post).

Matriculation is just 'officially' becoming a uni student by signing paper work etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.