The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1480
Rainfaery
Just curious: how hard would it be to get a job at Tesco or Sainbury's or the like, especially if you have no previous work experience?

Actually, come to think of it, how hard is it to get any job with no previous work experience?

My friend just got a job at Sainsburys and he has had no work experience :P... and supposedly the supermarkets are always hiring? :confused:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Rainfaery
Just curious: how hard would it be to get a job at Tesco or Sainbury's or the like, especially if you have no previous work experience?

Actually, come to think of it, how hard is it to get any job with no previous work experience?

To be honest, most jobs are hard to come by in Edinburgh at the moment. I haven't been able to get a job over the summer and I've had no trouble getting employed in the past - I've had about 15 interview offers but due to living abroad for the last year I've not been able to attend any of them, and now I'm home I just can't find anything. The job situation is pretty dire at the moment... I know a lot of people who are unemployed for the fringe which is pretty unheard of here. If you've got no expereince, or no work experience at all you're obviously going to be done out by the people applying who do have it. As you're living in Leith it might be easier as you're a little out of the main student areas, but certainly Tesco on Nicholson Street always states experience neccesary on their job adverts, which are few and far between. It might be worth doing some volunteer work in charity shops when you first get here so then you'll have experience working on a till and serving customers. Bar/Club work is easier than shop work to come by in Edinburgh I'd say, certain clubs have such a high turn over of staff (look at that how you will) so are constantly hiring, but I know people who have worked in the said clubs since first year and they love it.
oxymoronic
To be honest, most jobs are hard to come by in Edinburgh at the moment. I haven't been able to get a job over the summer and I've had no trouble getting employed in the past - I've had about 15 interview offers but due to living abroad for the last year I've not been able to attend any of them, and now I'm home I just can't find anything. The job situation is pretty dire at the moment... I know a lot of people who are unemployed for the fringe which is pretty unheard of here. If you've got no expereince, or no work experience at all you're obviously going to be done out by the people applying who do have it. As you're living in Leith it might be easier as you're a little out of the main student areas, but certainly Tesco on Nicholson Street always states experience neccesary on their job adverts, which are few and far between. It might be worth doing some volunteer work in charity shops when you first get here so then you'll have experience working on a till and serving customers. Bar/Club work is easier than shop work to come by in Edinburgh I'd say, certain clubs have such a high turn over of staff (look at that how you will) so are constantly hiring, but I know people who have worked in the said clubs since first year and they love it.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I'm probably not going to try to get a job my first semester, so I have a chance to adjust to university life, but after that, I'm probably going to need one. Maybe the job market will have opened up a bit by then. :s-smilie: Is it also difficult to get a job in a cafe or something?
Rainfaery
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I'm probably not going to try to get a job my first semester, so I have a chance to adjust to university life, but after that, I'm probably going to need one. Maybe the job market will have opened up a bit by then. :s-smilie: Is it also difficult to get a job in a cafe or something?

I'd say everything is just as bad as the next thing at the moment, esspecially for someone with no experience. Cafes might be easier as well, there is less to learn with waitressing than if you work in a shop (I've done both). Your best bet like I said would be getting a job on a bar or glass collecting in a club, but obviously that will entail a) working until 5am ish and b) you can't go out at night and c) it ruins your sleep process abit, but as I said, my flatmates have done it since 1st year and they love it. I'm sorry to paint such a downer on this as things might have picked up in a few months but I've really felt it this summer, it's my first year of being unemployed since I was 16 and I've ended up moving back home with my mum to save money as I can't afford my rent in Edinburgh.
oxymoronic
I'd say everything is just as bad as the next thing at the moment, esspecially for someone with no experience. Cafes might be easier as well, there is less to learn with waitressing than if you work in a shop (I've done both). Your best bet like I said would be getting a job on a bar or glass collecting in a club, but obviously that will entail a) working until 5am ish and b) you can't go out at night and c) it ruins your sleep process abit, but as I said, my flatmates have done it since 1st year and they love it. I'm sorry to paint such a downer on this as things might have picked up in a few months but I've really felt it this summer, it's my first year of being unemployed since I was 16 and I've ended up moving back home with my mum to save money as I can't afford my rent in Edinburgh.

:/ Sorry about having to move home. That must really suck. Can these jobs at bars be only on the weekends, as it looks like I will have multiple 9am starts?

Also: In America, there are often on-campus jobs, where students are hired by the university. Is there anything similar at Edinburgh? I have no idea if this kind of thing is unique to America.
Rainfaery
:/ Sorry about having to move home. That must really suck. Can these jobs at bars be only on the weekends, as it looks like I will have multiple 9am starts?

Also: In America, there are often on-campus jobs, where students are hired by the university. Is there anything similar at Edinburgh? I have no idea if this kind of thing is unique to America.

Yeah, some people just work on friday and/or saturday - my flatmates tend to just do one night a week then we could go out one of the days. I always worked in the day so I was free.

Ummm on campus jobs, there are a fair few jobs in the unions, again stuff like bar work, shop work, cafes etc. I'd say if you were looking into getting a job actually at uni this is the kind of place you'd be working at, as the accommodation services hire their own staff and I don't really know of anyone who got a job within a specific department. Some of the university departments hire over the summer for office staff etc, but I don't know of anything during semester time. I could be completely wrong but Ive never met anyone who worked at uni bar working in the unions.
Reply 1486
okay so i have a query regarding bank accounts. I live in northern ireland and currently have an account with alliance and leicester (which they obviously have in edinburgh too). But i was thinking about opening a new student account with RBS cos they have an attractive offer (with the biggest student overdraft allowance!)

Is this a smart idea?when should i open it?etc,etc

any advice appreciated
Eadaoin
okay so i have a query regarding bank accounts. I live in northern ireland and currently have an account with alliance and leicester (which they obviously have in edinburgh too). But i was thinking about opening a new student account with RBS cos they have an attractive offer (with the biggest student overdraft allowance!)

Is this a smart idea?when should i open it?etc,etc

any advice appreciated

Depends what are A&L offering you? Do you need the overdraft? With RBS you also get a railcard and one month free bus travel in Edinburgh.
Reply 1488
they don't have a student account so think im gona open a separate one with rbs!don't know if i should wait til i get over there or do it before...
Eadaoin
they don't have a student account so think im gona open a separate one with rbs!don't know if i should wait til i get over there or do it before...

They should want to see evidence that you are a student (student card) or that you definitely will be (official ucas/university letter with u/c firm) to open a student account. So depending on your current status you may have to wait until you arrive in Edinburgh anyway. Otherwise decide where you'd like to have your branch - where you're living or where you used to live? If the opening of your account doesn't run smoothly, it might be preferable to be close to the branch you opened it at when you come to fight out any issues.

There's also a possibility that they'll be running some additional promo during Freshers' week (they would have done pre-crunch) which might be worth holding out for.
Reply 1490
Anybody heading for english language and linguistics this year?

Anybody applied for Chancellors court?

Hate the awkwardness of not knowing ANYBODY in your year/house?

I need contacts!!!!!! :eek3:
Reply 1491
Just looking for all kinds of canny people off to Edinburgh this september be ye foreign, southern, geordie, jock, whatever, who also dont have a clue what to expect, who to talk to and how to use the "Euclid" portal.

Cheers :smile: :woo:
Well, I'm off to Edinburgh, but I do know how to use the Euclid/MyEd thing. :wink: Do you have any questions about it?
Reply 1493
wellll its just that there are 3 seperate log ins, the layout is particularly unhelpful and i don't understand why you have to use it to reply to offers but they email you accomodation details!? It's as if they are being deliberately awkward! But, as someone going in for mathematical physics (a combination of subjects my grasp never extended to beyond the age of 16) these things would not be too difficult for you i guess! As an American, how do you feel about studying in Edinburgh?
Reply 1494
Also anybody applying for Chancellors court about, or even in it? Whats the banter/food like? Just trying to get some sort of light Edinburgh discussion going as i don't know anybody going but really want to leave for uni asap!
DanNCL
wellll its just that there are 3 seperate log ins, the layout is particularly unhelpful and i don't understand why you have to use it to reply to offers but they email you accomodation details!? It's as if they are being deliberately awkward! But, as someone going in for mathematical physics (a combination of subjects my grasp never extended to beyond the age of 16) these things would not be too difficult for you i guess! As an American, how do you feel about studying in Edinburgh?

What do you mean about the 3 separate log ins? I just go to www.myed.ed.ac.uk and log in?

I'm not living in university accommodation, so I can't help you there.

I'm really, really excited about living in Edinburgh. It's one of my favourite cities in the world. :smile:
Reply 1496
sorry to copy the above but:

anyone doing environmental science this year?
anyone applied for fraser court?
or both?

also need contacts :smile:
xxxxxx Kat xxxxxxx
Reply 1497
No uni accomodation! :frown: private flat?

Well first it's myed, then ease, then euclid. My point is that i dont see the need for 3 seperate windows!! Applying for finances, accomodation and grants through different organisations is bad enough without having to be notified by UCAS thats theres an email in my euclid portal, which is accessed by going to myed and logging in with "ease"!

Edinburgh is gorgeous and pretty culturally similair to where im from so its like a home away from home.
DanNCL
Just looking for all kinds of canny people off to Edinburgh this september be ye foreign, southern, geordie, jock, whatever, who also dont have a clue what to expect, who to talk to and how to use the f*$£ing "Euclid" portal.

Cheers :smile: :woo:

I'm from Crewe but I know Edinburgh like the back of my hand since my dad's family are from there, going there for uni this sept what are you studying?
Reply 1499
Well aye! Im hoping to do English lang/linguistics but at halls it doesnt really matter because you only do like 7 hours tutoring a week and you have to pick 2 other courses (which i havent a clue about) How about you?

Latest

Trending

Trending