Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainfaery)
    Okay, I'm getting to Edinburgh in 11 days. I need to start figuring out where to buy things. So, for people who know Edinburgh, where can I buy things like duvets, sheets, and duvet covers?
    Ikea! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    So, for people who know Edinburgh, where can I buy things like duvets, sheets, and duvet covers?
    Ikea's good - take the 47 or 67 bus to Straiton retail park, you want the stop after the park-and-ride (very obvious, the park-and-ride stop involves going into a huge, new and likely empty carpark and turning round). Then walk up the path into the Sainsbury's carpark, cross the carpark and head towards the petrol station, from there you should be able to see Ikea, so dodge the cars carfully as you cross 2 small roundabouts. Or if you're lucky enough to know someone with a car then it's very straightforward.
    Sainsbury's or Tescos or ASDA are all good too, similarly priced really. For these use the store finder on the supermarkets' websites and cheack for the ones closest to where you're staying. Make sure it's a big one, not a "local" (Sainsbury's), "metro" or "express" (Tesco) because the small ones only do the local convenience store food.
    Or order something from the internet to be there when you arrive as you've said that your flatmates are already living there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artorscience?)
    Ikea's good - take the 47 or 67 bus to Straiton retail park, you want the stop after the park-and-ride (very obvious, the park-and-ride stop involves going into a huge, new and likely empty carpark and turning round). Then walk up the path into the Sainsbury's carpark, cross the carpark and head towards the petrol station, from there you should be able to see Ikea, so dodge the cars carfully as you cross 2 small roundabouts. Or if you're lucky enough to know someone with a car then it's very straightforward.
    Sainsbury's or Tescos or ASDA are all good too, similarly priced really. For these use the store finder on the supermarkets' websites and cheack for the ones closest to where you're staying. Make sure it's a big one, not a "local" (Sainsbury's), "metro" or "express" (Tesco) because the small ones only do the local convenience store food.
    Or order something from the internet to be there when you arrive as you've said that your flatmates are already living there.
    Thank you! I was wondering how to get to IKEA, because I knew it was out of the city. That was super helpful.

ReputationRep:
    When looking at some Uni info I noticed that in July/August we're supposed to get a so called "Registration pack" with a couple of forms so that you can do the registration part of matriculation by post. I just thought, have anyone gotten this pack? I don't mean the matriculation info pack with a bunch of information on how to matriculate and what-not, but a pack with an actual form to send in to the university?

I'm just thinking that it's already mid-August, so if it doesn't come soon it'll be a bit late.. I suppose it's possible to do the registration on campus when you arrive (as that is what you HAVE to do if you're paying your own tuition fees and not SAAS), but it would be nice to have it done before hand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nelien)
    I just thought, have anyone gotten this pack? I don't mean the matriculation info pack with a bunch of information on how to matriculate and what-not, but a pack with an actual form to send in to the university?
    I haven't On the website it says to ring them up if you don't have the forms by the end of August and they'll have them ready for you on arrival...but I agree, I'd rather do it now tbh.

I wonder whether any UK students have received it so far...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green_glitter)
    I haven't On the website it says to ring them up if you don't have the forms by the end of August and they'll have them ready for you on arrival...but I agree, I'd rather do it now tbh.

I just read from some previous posts here on TSR (from 2007) that some people e-mailed the Uni registry and were told that International students wouldn't receive the forms but instead could do the registration when they arrived.

I don't if that's the normal way but I suppose we'll just have to wait and see. I will probably send them an e-mail anyway next week and ask about it since I don't want to have to worry about it on an already full scheduled first week in Edinburgh..

ReputationRep:
    Well I haven't gotten my forms yet and my friends keep asking me if I have recieved them and what not...not sure if they have mind you .

But there was a recent postal strike of a day or two so maybe that had a little effect on these forms? haha - maybe I'm wrong but I kept thinking that's what was going on.

PS I'm a home student and haven't received them

ReputationRep:
    I just read from some previous posts here on TSR (from 2007) that some people e-mailed the Uni registry and were told that International students wouldn't receive the forms but instead could do the registration when they arrived.

I don't if that's the normal way but I suppose we'll just have to wait and see. I will probably send them an e-mail anyway next week and ask about it since I don't want to have to worry about it on an already full scheduled first week in Edinburgh..
    I got mine yesterday, and I'm in Australia. There's a bunch of information saying that you can either do it by post or do it when you get there, so it shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure yours are on their way :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joolier)
    I got mine yesterday, and I'm in Australia. There's a bunch of information saying that you can either do it by post or do it when you get there, so it shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure yours are on their way :yep:
    Awesome confirmation Joolier . So they should be arriving any moment then. Good to hear that they give you both options of registering, I kind of knew that already but it's nice to have confirmation.

ReputationRep:
    I got my forms about a week ago, and it says that exchange students (this is my case) should register by post, but someone in the same situation send an e-mail and they told him he should register there when he arrives. what are we suppossed to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazuki_Mar)
    I got my forms about a week ago, and it says that exchange students (this is my case) should register by post, but someone in the same situation send an e-mail and they told him he should register there when he arrives. what are we suppossed to do?
    I'd register by post as on the Matriculation Page it says:
    You should register BY POST if:

* You are a continuing student.
    * You are an undergraduate student and you have received confirmation from your UK awarding body – either the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS), Student Finance England, Student Finance Wales, or Student Finance Northern Ireland that they will pay your tuition fees in full. We do not need to see a copy of your tuition fees award letter as we will receive confirmation of your funding directly from SAAS/Student Loans Company. We will assume that you are responsible for paying your tuition fees until confirmation of your tuition fee funding is received from either SAAS or the SLC as appropriate.
    * You are an incoming exchange student.
    *You are on a Part-Time Intermittent (ICL)/ Distance/ E-Learning or Collaborative degree programme - please remember to attach any sponsorship information you may have.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazuki_Mar)
    Craig said it all. If you have the forms I see no reason why you shouldn't just send them in, worst case you still have to register when you arrive and you lost the cost of the postage :P.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green_glitter)
    Only received mine a couple of weeks ago in the post and I'm a continuing student. There's really nothing to worry about though - it's a very straightforward thing to do in Edinburgh if it doesn't get done beforehand.

ReputationRep:
    Craig said it all. If you have the forms I see no reason why you shouldn't just send them in, worst case you still have to register when you arrive and you lost the cost of the postage :P.

Ok, I'll send them when they send me the link to accept the accommodation :p: I have accommodation since tuesday and the link to accept the offer is not published yet:mad:

oh, and it's supposed to be an envelope provided with the forms to be sent... and I didn't get one in the letter.

ReputationRep:
    i'm waiting for my forms, but i haven't found out my a-levels yet, will that make a difference? also i was wondering if anyone whose place isn't unconditional has received forms yet? any help would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nearlyheadlessian)
    Only received mine a couple of weeks ago in the post and I'm a continuing student. There's really nothing to worry about though - it's a very straightforward thing to do in Edinburgh if it doesn't get done beforehand.
    Alright, that's good to know, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lia_s)
    i'm waiting for my forms, but i haven't found out my a-levels yet, will that make a difference? also i was wondering if anyone whose place isn't unconditional has received forms yet? any help would be appreciated
    I doubt they'd send registration forms to people who haven't confirmed their place yet. Wouldn't make much sense really.

I got mine a couple of weeks ago, but I'm a continuing student.

ReputationRep:
    For science students: Where do you catch the bus that the university provides out to the King's Buildings?

ReputationRep:
    For science students: Where do you catch the bus that the university provides out to the King's Buildings?
    From the bus stop next to Native State on Potterrow. You can also get on at Summerhall outside the **** Vet.

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for an undergraduate Computer Science course. Do I have a chance with an AAAA??

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.