Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theBOON)
    I'm looking for an undergraduate Computer Science course. Do I have a chance with an AAAA??
    If your grades are in relevant subjects, you will obviously have a chance with four A's. Grades aren't the only deciding factor though so make sure you write a good personal statement etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elisabethbridge)
    If your grades are in relevant subjects, you will obviously have a chance with four A's. Grades aren't the only deciding factor though so make sure you write a good personal statement etc.
    Thanks for answers!
    I hope I can manage a good personal statement

ReputationRep:
    Well I got AAaB to study computer science, see you all there!

ReputationRep:
    I was trawling through MyEd when I came across the link for Open Studies and Language Courses. There seem to be quite a few interesting short-term courses out there. Is it worth registering for them beforehand? Anybody with experiences to share?

ReputationRep:
    I will be studying at the Business School next year and plan to bring a car.

Does anyone know if there are any parking facilities within or near Bristo Square?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deldongo)
    I will be studying at the Business School next year and plan to bring a car.

Does anyone know if there are any parking facilities within or near Bristo Square?
    Parking around Bristo Square is practically non-existent - your best bet is parking on George Square, which is very limited and is an expensive pay and display. Do you actually need to drive your car into central area? Because parking in Edinburgh costs a fortune and it's not really worth the bother.

ReputationRep:
    I got in, ABB, doing biochemistry :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I don't necessarily need to drive in the central area, but if there were parking at Bristo Square then I would be more than happy to take my car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deldongo)
    I don't necessarily need to drive in the central area, but if there were parking at Bristo Square then I would be more than happy to take my car.
    Where will you be staying? And have you actually visited the city before? It really isn't a city designed for driving!

ReputationRep:
    got my ASs of ABBC, A in English Literature.

Much chance of getting in for English Literature?

ReputationRep:
    First move in day is Saturday September 12th. Fresher week doesn't officially start until the 14th, but there will be events on from the evening of the 12th.

You won't receive an offer of accommodation until the next few days as it is only doled out once you become a firm unconditional candidate. You should receive an email informing you that your accommodation channel on MyEd has updated at which point you can accept accommodation and pay your deposit.

ReputationRep:
    thought we move into halls on the 20th and start on the 21st?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nearlyheadlessian)
    First move in day is Saturday September 12th. Fresher week doesn't officially start until the 14th, but there will be events on from the evening of the 12th.

You won't receive an offer of accommodation until the next few days as it is only doled out once you become a firm unconditional candidate. You should receive an email informing you that your accommodation channel on MyEd has updated at which point you can accept accommodation and pay your deposit.
    my application is unconditional firm, and i got an E-mail saying that I'd have an offer made by the 31st. when you say first move in day, do you mean that there are two in total? or more? i.e. if freshers week starts on monday, i presume every1 will be moved in by the end of sunday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel Brusnahan)

All subjective isn't it? But if I were to generalise I would say that going into A2 you want to be looking for a minimum of AABB (including A in English) if possible. Of course, what you also need is a stonking personal statement and a bit of luck too - English Literature is heavily oversubscribed. Have you considered Scottish Literature at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john-milton)
    my application is unconditional firm, and i got an E-mail saying that I'd have an offer made by the 31st. when you say first move in day, do you mean that there are two in total? or more? i.e. if freshers week starts on monday, i presume every1 will be moved in by the end of sunday?
    If you need more information on moving days etc then take a look at the sticky thread on accommodation at the top of this subforum, or take a gander at the university of edinburgh wiki.

The 12th and 13th are the only two days where there will be hoards of people on duty to receive you, check you in, and help you out. It's of course possible to move in anytime during freshers week (during daylight hours...), but the vast bulk of freshers do tend to arrive by Sunday evening at the latest.

(Original post by davidkp)
    thought we move into halls on the 20th and start on the 21st?
    As I just said above, you can move into halls anytime you like after September 12th. Teaching commences on the 21st, and I would strongly recommend that you are in Edinburgh by the 14th or 15th at the latest. You'll need to matriculate, attend course meetings, freshers fairs etc, and importantly meet with your DoS. So leaving it until the 20th is cutting it a bit fine.

ReputationRep:
    If you need more information on moving days etc then take a look at the sticky thread on accommodation at the top of this subforum, or take a gander at the university of edinburgh wiki.

The 12th and 13th are the only two days where there will be hoards of people on duty to receive you, check you in, and help you out. It's of course possible to move in anytime during freshers week (during daylight hours...), but the vast bulk of freshers do tend to arrive by Sunday evening at the latest.

As I just said above, you can move into halls anytime you like after September 12th. Teaching commences on the 21st, and I would strongly recommend that you are in Edinburgh by the 14th or 15th at the latest. You'll need to matriculate, attend course meetings, freshers fairs etc, and importantly meet with your DoS. So leaving it until the 20th is cutting it a bit fine.
    do you get to choose between 12th or 13th?? or does the university give each student a set day to avoid overcrowded car parks etc. as some universities do

ReputationRep:
    All subjective isn't it? But if I were to generalise I would say that going into A2 you want to be looking for a minimum of AABB (including A in English) if possible. Of course, what you also need is a stonking personal statement and a bit of luck too - English Literature is heavily oversubscribed. Have you considered Scottish Literature at all?
    Oh yeah, either would be good. Is Scottish Literature less oversubscribed then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel Brusnahan)

i got in for lit with ABCD AS A in English lit. my predicted grades for A2 in my reference were AAB (which i got ).

a good reference and personal statement help. also, look at the scottish literature course - it's very similar, the job prospects are the same etc and you share 2/3 lectures with the english lit students anyway, but you're 5 times more likely to get in as it's less oversubscribed. all the literature is in the english language and it's a very similar course. if you have your heart set on edinburgh, i'd say either apply for scottish literature or both Scottish and English literature, as English lit is getting harder every year, and unless your predicted grades are AAA i doubt you'll get in for English this year.

good luck anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john-milton)
    do you get to choose between 12th or 13th?? or does the university give each student a set day to avoid overcrowded car parks etc. as some universities do
    In past years it has been a free for all - arrive whenever you like/can.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone explain what the language modules are like? For example, are they literature intensive? The only ones I need to know about are French and Spanish 1B, 2 and their respective Language Paper 1 modules in the 4th year.

It would also be good to know how much Portuguese is learnt in Portuguese for Beginners.

The summary here (https://www.star.euclid.ed.ac.uk/ipp/udmlefp.htm) of individual language modules in DRPS is next to useless.

Thank you so much for any help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.